Premade teams for maps

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Premade teams for maps

Post by Per »

Here is a feature request I might just code up myself if there is support for it: A way to set up premade teams for maps (using a map.ini file that follows the map). Basically a way to tell the game that certain starting positions belong together, and it makes no sense to allow players on these spots to be on different teams.

I am thinking an ini file section "[general]" with "teams = premade" and several "[position_N]" sections containing "team = M" where N is number of the position, and M is the number of the team to start here. If this option is turned on, players cannot change teams, but changing position changes team automatically.

In Starcraft2, you can also choose 'custom' team setup for maps that are made for team play, but I'm thinking this makes little sense. If you really want an unpredictable mess game on such maps, you can choose to play a non-team game.
effigy
Regular
Regular

Re: Premade teams for maps

Post by effigy »

This sounds like a useful idea for maps such as this one:
wz2100-20110918_204941-main.png
I convenient way for setting teams on an 8p map is to either alternate A, B, A, B, A, B, A, B or simply A,A,A,A,B,B,B,B. On maps where bases have been layed out "properly" this will set up the match as "left/top vs. right/bottom" or a "messy teams" layout where each player has an enemy in the base nearest himself.

As you can see from the screen shot about these standard player layouts don't work.

Would this feature would allow for more than two teams on any given map?
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
medusa
Trained
Trained

Post by medusa »

I don't get it. :?
what is the point of this if people can just setup the teams the way they want?
why limit them in what they can do?
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

medusa wrote:I don't get it. :?
He's talking about adding a game option, not changing the standard.
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
medusa
Trained
Trained

Post by medusa »

effigy wrote:
medusa wrote:I don't get it. :?
He's talking about adding a game option, not changing the standard.
still don't make sense.
why bother with this if it don't take that long to setup teams the exact way people want not what a map dictates people should use!
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

Eh... because it can take awhile? Especially in situations where the lobby is flood with casual players that are only interested in playing NTW, thus they enter room, then leave shortly after, forcing you to rearrange player positions for the 10th time or until my mind asplode.
medusa
Trained
Trained

Post by medusa »

you want the game to auto arrange people on a team?
you would still have to switch people around to get the people you want on your team.