Pie File Manager

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Re: Pie File Manager

Post by MaNGusT »

Seismo wrote:Wow, how kind of you! :(
sry, I meant you can't do that alone. Better help someone who already started to do that.
Seismo
Trained
Trained

Post by Seismo »

macuser wrote:
Seismo wrote: I am sorry to say that, but the code quality of warzone was never better than hacked spaghetti and still have big issues. Some serious issues have never been fixed since first release due to "harming" desgin flaws. And you should know that an editor is always the beginning of a new engine...
I agree with you there. But lets not start a flame war here. If you need I can help with some development :geek: I'd love to see a new engine built.
Thank you and you are right. I did not want to flame, just explain my motivations root cause. My engine is nearby finished, i need only the rendering part with editor (i am currently working on) and the gamelogic. I started last year with it. It's based on XNA 4.0. In a later version i plan to support mono and openTK too. For me it was not that hard to build that. The entry is hardest than its just diligence.
Seismo
Trained
Trained

Post by Seismo »

MaNGusT wrote:
Seismo wrote:Wow, how kind of you! :(
sry, I meant you can't do that alone. Better help someone who already started to do that.
no problem, i have misunderstood you. I plan to earn money with my solution, so i am not able to work for others than (no time left). :wink:
Safety0ff
Trained
Trained

Post by Safety0ff »

Seismo wrote:no problem, i have misunderstood you. I plan to earn money with my solution, so i am not able to work for others than (no time left). :wink:
If you plan to make money why didn't you come up with your own ideas for a game?
I would think that it would be more fun than having to consulting attorneys.
Seismo
Trained
Trained

Post by Seismo »

Safety0ff wrote:
Seismo wrote:no problem, i have misunderstood you. I plan to earn money with my solution, so i am not able to work for others than (no time left). :wink:
If you plan to make money why didn't you come up with your own ideas for a game?
:annoyed: ok, i do not have any friends here, that is for sure.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Seismo wrote:
Safety0ff wrote:If you plan to make money why didn't you come up with your own ideas for a game?
That is an advice I've seen occasionally regarding e.g. fan remakes: If you think your idea is good enough to make money, use your own universe and save yourself potential legal troubles.
We want information... information... information.
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

Or I guess he could make us all co-copyright owners?
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
Seismo
Trained
Trained

Post by Seismo »

cybersphinx wrote:
Seismo wrote:
Safety0ff wrote:If you plan to make money why didn't you come up with your own ideas for a game?
That is an advice I've seen occasionally regarding e.g. fan remakes: If you think your idea is good enough to make money, use your own universe and save yourself potential legal troubles.
Legal troubles? Feel free to delete this thread, i was misleaded to beleave that this project is (was) under open source BSD license. Or is it just that fact that anyone is doing you dream all time long?
Safety0ff
Trained
Trained

Post by Safety0ff »

Seismo wrote: :annoyed: ok, i do not have any friends here, that is for sure.
It's not about being mean or being friendly, it's just reality.
Seismo wrote:i was misleaded to beleave that this project is (was) under open source BSD license.
GPL v2, and always has been.
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

Wow. Just ... yikes.

Moving along then.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

why is it no one reads the documents that comes with the source code!!!! since 2004, all documentation has been available - the community at large made sure of this. :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed: so what do we need to do to make sure that this does not happen in the future!!!!! it is getting VERY FRACKING annoying to say the least. perhaps we need to get a new and better site entrance - one where if the documentation isnt read, you dont get access. people spent an inordinate amount of time on docs just so a low level junior adventurer can come along and say he is going to make money from this... pffft... brings to mind the several words... none of which i can say due to the sensitive nature of those that want to make money from gpl v2. give me a fracking break... do your fracking homework afore you start coding for crying out fracking loud. geeez! :stressed: :stressed: :stressed: :stressed: :stressed: :stressed: :stressed: :stressed: :stressed: :stressed:
Seismo
Trained
Trained

Post by Seismo »

lav_coyote25 wrote:why is it no one reads the documents that comes with the source code!!!! since 2004, all documentation has been available - the community at large made sure of this. :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed: so what do we need to do to make sure that this does not happen in the future!!!!! it is getting VERY FRACKING annoying to say the least. perhaps we need to get a new and better site entrance - one where if the documentation isnt read, you dont get access. people spent an inordinate amount of time on docs just so a low level junior adventurer can come along and say he is going to make money from this... pffft... brings to mind the several words... none of which i can say due to the sensitive nature of those that want to make money from gpl v2. give me a fracking break... do your fracking homework afore you start coding for crying out fracking loud. geeez! :stressed: :stressed: :stressed: :stressed: :stressed: :stressed: :stressed: :stressed: :stressed: :stressed:
Hey come back to normal please. No one except me knows what my project is and can do. What i used to train myself is not the same i will use for my project to work. I did not spread any word about using one pice of your codebase or anything else related to this project here. I also do not plan to do so! I just take the idea from gaming prinzip and try to learn from this project, i do not use even nothing from you all here. So, no copyright will be infected or broken or whatever. This pie file manager i made was just a 3 week exercise for me. I will not use this fakkkking PIE format or 3ds for my own project. Both formats are worse for my needs. I just hoped that any guy will find this tool usefull and i will support for small enhancements. The topic about the editor will never been public or based on anything i used in the pie file manager project. PEACE
Safety0ff
Trained
Trained

Post by Safety0ff »

Seismo wrote:Hey come back to normal please. No one except me knows what my project is and can do.
I never pretended to know exactly what your project was.
Seismo wrote:I did not spread any word about using one pice of your codebase or anything else related to this project here.
The following quotations brought into question whether or not your project qualifies as a derived work (in the legal sense), which is why I said what I said.
viewtopic.php?p=75937#p75937
Seismo wrote:So i am just interested to deal with some parts of the old code just to shorten some effort i expect for the game logic. I just do not want to reinvent all wheels again. I want to mix up modern software with the major and genius features of the good old Warzone 2100 i love.
<SNIP>
Finally, it seems that i have to start from the scratch and just use only the basic concepts of Warzone (the ingame menu, the science). And just reduce all to the multiplayer part.
viewtopic.php?p=75919#p75919
Seismo wrote:I want to start all over again in a new project based on Warzone 2100 from the point where this project was, just cleaned from PSX stuff.
And so, it would make sense to check with a lawyer to make sure that it is not a derived work.
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

WOW.... OK.... Right :S
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Seismo
Trained
Trained

Post by Seismo »

I used nothing from this project here and i never will! A plan is not a release!

I had contact with a developer not related to this project and he gave me a version of warzone code which was the official version eidos made public. And i used it for study only. It is written in good old "c" and my engine and game is written in "c#" (c-sharp) which should lead you into the conclusion that there are a lot differences in language and design. So in any case i am not able to make a copy of the old or newer stuff and say its mine, is that clear so far? Btw. the quality of all sources i have seen here is so bad, that i would never make a copy, it would be a real shame for me.
Try to get better informed before blaming anyone by misquoting them. You are welcome to test my engine by any lawyer at your expense, so long.