Pie File Manager

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Seismo
Trained
Trained

Pie File Manager

Post by Seismo »

Hi Folks,

i would like to provide you a (win) tool for warzone to interchange between .3ds and .pie (2) file format. I tested it with the .3ds import/export from blender. May you find it also usefull.

Features
The program is free to use.
It supports connectors.
The installer should download automatic missing parts (C# .NET 4.0+ & XNA 4.0+).
It can handle more than one file.

Known issues
It supports Windows OS only.
The scaling feature was intent to set the scale overall (Masterscale), not to scale objects in proportion to the rest.
No model preview
Only PIE 2 <-> 3ds support.

Future plans
A model viewer with (simple) individual scale features.

Please give me your suggestions about it.
Attachments
PieFileManager.zip
(816.31 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
Last edited by Seismo on 30 Jul 2011, 15:17, edited 4 times in total.
macuser
Regular
Regular

Re: Pie File Manager

Post by macuser »

Thanks, what did you write it in?
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Seismo
Trained
Trained

Post by Seismo »

macuser wrote:Thanks, what did you write it in?
O_o programming language?
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Yeah, what language?
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Seismo
Trained
Trained

Post by Seismo »

C#
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Nice, I've done some work with C# and a lot of things .net too. :)
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

it's pretty hard to convert something without a preview. :(
Seismo
Trained
Trained

Post by Seismo »

MaNGusT wrote:it's pretty hard to convert something without a preview. :(
What is hard on selecting one or more files and convert them?

if you mean that the import in blender is to hard than install autosketch's fbx converter http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc ... eID=123112. This allows you to open and preview .3ds files without import hardness.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Seismo wrote:if you mean that the import in blender is to hard than install autosketch's fbx converter http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc ... eID=123112. This allows you to open and preview .3ds files without import hardness.
Ok, I will ask more specific. How can I use the "scale" option without a preview of a model? I must see how much scale is wrong.

on this stage your program is the same as 3ds2pie, so is a bit useless to artists. we have pretty nice porgram by Safety0ff - WMIT, but it's unfinished.

also we already have the pie2 to 3ds and vice versa converter - http://web.axelero.hu/karpo/
Seismo
Trained
Trained

Post by Seismo »

MaNGusT wrote:
Seismo wrote:if you mean that the import in blender is to hard than install autosketch's fbx converter http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc ... eID=123112. This allows you to open and preview .3ds files without import hardness.
Ok, I will ask more specific. How can I use the "scale" option without a preview of a model? I must see how much scale is wrong.
Ah ok, you need something that normalizes the model to a relative global size. May you have an example program for me? Or is it just a grid with 1.0 raster, what you need?
MaNGusT wrote:on this stage your program is the same as 3ds2pie, so is a bit useless to artists. we have pretty nice porgram by Safety0ff - WMIT, but it's unfinished.

also we already have the pie2 to 3ds and vice versa converter - http://web.axelero.hu/karpo/
Well, this program is a part of an editor i am working on, the viewer part is not finished yet. Therfore it is currently just the same useless like 3ds2pie but supports multiple files and connectors. Quick and short.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Seismo wrote:Or is it just a grid with 1.0 raster, what you need?
at least though.
Would be better to be able to load "example" models that could be 50-75% transparent.
Why don't you want just help Safet0ff with WMIT? the main problem of this project is that each person does whatever he wants. Programmers are split and no one focuses on a single "target" - so we have many unfinished programs without a real chance to be finished.
Seismo
Trained
Trained

Post by Seismo »

MaNGusT wrote:
Seismo wrote:Or is it just a grid with 1.0 raster, what you need?
at least though.
Would be better to be able to load "example" models that could be 50-75% transparent.
Why don't you want just help Safet0ff with WMIT? the main problem of this project is that each person does whatever he wants. Programmers are split and no one focuses on a single "target" - so we have many unfinished programs without a real chance to be finished.
A transparent model, thats a nice idea.

Well, i am working on a c# version of an editor because of the many benefits. For e.g. rapid development, the easy maintainability and many other reasons. I am sorry to say that, but the code quality of warzone was never better than hacked spaghetti and still have big issues. Some serious issues have never been fixed since first release due to "harming" desgin flaws. And you should know that an editor is always the beginning of a new engine...
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Seismo wrote:And you should know that an editor is always the beginning of a new engine...
I don't think that you can write a new engine.
Seismo
Trained
Trained

Post by Seismo »

MaNGusT wrote:
Seismo wrote:And you should know that an editor is always the beginning of a new engine...
I don't think that you can write a new engine.
Wow, how kind of you! :(
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Seismo wrote: I am sorry to say that, but the code quality of warzone was never better than hacked spaghetti and still have big issues. Some serious issues have never been fixed since first release due to "harming" desgin flaws. And you should know that an editor is always the beginning of a new engine...
I agree with you there. But lets not start a flame war here. If you need I can help with some development :geek: I'd love to see a new engine built.
ArtRev Website

ImageImage