My Suggestions

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
infraRed
Greenhorn

My Suggestions

Post by infraRed »

Hi. I recently played through the regular campaign and some of the challenges, and wanted to drop off my suggestions. I'm running WZ 2.3.7, so forgive me if any of these have been implemented already. I've tried to categorize them by imagined difficult of implementation:

Relatively easy:
1. Gates. Would it be possible to add a "gate" construction that overall acts just like a hardcrete wall, but allows friendlies to pass through? It could be more expensive than a regular wall. Frankly, without the concept of a gate, wall-based defenses end up being more trouble and expense then they are worth.
2. Engineering truck "modes". It would be nifty if there were a few more buttons for setting "modes" of operation of trucks.
- Repair mode: travel anywhere necessary in order to find buildings to repair.
- Derrick mode: Whenever an energy source becomes available, travel to it and build a derrick.
3. Additional keyboard shortcuts:
- Ctrl-Shift versions of the various "select all" shortcuts, which only select units on the screen rather than on the map. For example, it is pretty often I'll want to Select all Tracks, but I usually don't want select all of the tracks on the entire map.
- Select next Radar vehicle. I can never seem to find one when I need one!
4. Flying engineers. I couldn't get truck mounts attached to a VTOL. Is this possible?

Pretty hard:
Unit scripting. This is the geek in me... but it would be totally awesome if some kind of system could be developed where we could write behavior scripts which could be attached to individual units or to groups of units. You could mod some high-level scripting language, like Ruby or Python, and users could write their own behavior modules that would be available during battle to attach to units.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Re: My Suggestions

Post by Jorzi »

Gates are there in current master, flying trucks are implemented in ntw mod (we don't have them in the base game because of balance issues).
Point 2 and 3, however, are worth thinking about ;)
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

The closest we'll get to flying trucks in a balanced version of the game will be jetpack engineers (prereq: Improved Engineering, Cyborg Transport, see also jetpack mechanic, prereq: Heavy Repair Turret, Cyborg Transport), which will be implemented whenever I have a ton of free time (n.b. considering my backlog this might be half a year or more).

Point 3 seems like a lot of complexity to add to our custom-key system. Double-clicking is already "select everything like this on the screen", and you can click-drag select on the screen... If some other dev wants to implement it, I won't stop them, but I won't.
infraRed
Greenhorn

Post by infraRed »

Zarel wrote: Point 3 seems like a lot of complexity to add to our custom-key system. Double-clicking is already "select everything like this on the screen", and you can click-drag select on the screen... If some other dev wants to implement it, I won't stop them, but I won't.
The problem with double-clicking is you only get vehicles that match both the weapon type and the track type. That means that in a mixed armada, it might take five double-clicks to get every attack capable unit. Or it would, if "shift-double-click" did what you would expect, which it does not.

Click-dragging is great as well, unless the battle happens to be taking place somewhere with a lot of trucks -- like your base or a repair outpost.

Even just one more shortcut, "Select all Combat Units on Screen", would be enormously helpful.
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

AMEN to that. One of my biggest problems with micromanagement.
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

The problem with double-clicking is you only get vehicles that match both the weapon type and the track type.
Even worse, you only get the vehicles that have the same name. So if your ally gives you some units and uses a localisation, you won't be able to select the units he gave you this way even if they're similar.