Introducing "New Worlds Mod" TC

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Remotehorst
Trained
Trained

Introducing "New Worlds Mod" TC

Post by Remotehorst »

TC means Total Conversion. Almost everything will be changed! And with changed i dont mean "make it a little better." From gamesounds till backdrops, models, menu. Thats a bit work indeed. :wink:
Berg was so kind to give me the possibility to have a own branch. Thanks again mate!
This mod will support other mods and / or changes that are made to WZ and will contribute anyone who like to use the contents of this mod.

This mod aims to give the player a completely new design of all units, weapons, maps and buildings.
The goal is to provide a hightech look that will produce a better atmosphere and gameplay.
Since i make this alone until someone helps with same or even better skills than me, this will take a long time until its finished.

Story:

After 50 Years of war since 2100 the Earth is so much destroyed that almost all plants and animals are dying.
The survivors of this war decide to visit another planet since they got the technology to do that. First mission would be to reach the Moon and build a spaceport on Moon to get to the far Planets that would have a chance to be terraformed and could provide life. This decision is made only from New Paradigm, but since there was a heavy debate on how to do that, "The Project" splitted up into several fractions. The other fractions stealed Plans and Material to build their own Units and buildings. First the fractions leave each other alone, but when they noticed that there are only a few places on moon to build the spaceport and the resources to build units to get there are rare, the war begins!

Mission 1 (earth):
Collect vanadium by placing a special unit near a mine.

Mission 2 (earth):
Collect titanium by placing a special unit near a mine.

Mission 3 (earth):
Collect plants and animals that are essential to support life in Space.

Mission 4 (earth):
Hold the base until the Heavy-Dropship is build.

Mission 5 (moon):
Build a ecosphere on Moon to support life of the survivors.

Mission 6 (moon):
Collect materials to build the spaceport and repair the Dropship.

These missions need to be worked out. This is only an idea for the first missions.

For this mod there are clear design guidelines for textures and models.
These guidelines are:

Hightech
post apocalyptic
dark
rusty
patched together
high quality
detailed
clear

NOT overcharged
NOT chaotic
NOT hard to identificate
NOT too colorful
NOT too dark (in terms of color and modeldesign)

These guidelines are only shortened. They will be discussed when someone joins (if there is a need to do that).

Since i only got the ability to make models, backdrops and textures i would be very glad about some coders supporting this mod. Also other artists (like 3D Designers and Audio-artists) are welcome to join if they think they can keep up with the quality. Its essential that the design looks "cast from the same mold" to not kill the atmosphere.

Here are a few graphics i made, that will explain these guidelines in a visible way.

Mothership
transporterV03a.jpg
Powerplant
Bildschirmfoto-5.png
Not yet finished texturing and ring placement. Also the game sounds for this building will be changed.
Baseplate will be edited to fit to the building. (adding wires and stuff, change design)

Oilwell
This building will be animated and have new game sounds too.
oilwell2.jpg
Thats what i made so far. In this thread i will post the models that i make for this mod.
Please be patient, since it takes maybe years until this mod is done.

Edit: Changed Fraction name to correct fraction. Was a bit confused. :stressed:
Last edited by Remotehorst on 06 Nov 2010, 22:02, edited 1 time in total.
My Blender Tutorials for Beginners (german): http://www.youtube.com/user/voxelgeek
macuser
Regular
Regular

Re: Introducing "New Worlds Mod" TC

Post by macuser »

hmm nice idea :) well if you need help getting models ingame etc you know where to ask ;)

-regards macuser
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Remotehorst wrote:Berg was so kind to give me the possibility to have a own branch. Thanks again mate!
One of the points of using git is that it's easy for anyone to have their own repository (especially on a site like gitorious with a "fork this" button), and easier for us to integrate changes into the mainline repo.
Remotehorst
Trained
Trained

Post by Remotehorst »

I could need much backup, because it is so much to do.
I am relative fast with modeling and texturing, and if i get into it, i can make 1 or 2 models per day.
Once i got a good Material-palette im getting much faster.

But like i mentioned before, anyone that likes the idea, style and has good skills is very welcome to join.
Ive never done anything in this dimension, but im confident that the result will be an eye catcher. :)
My Blender Tutorials for Beginners (german): http://www.youtube.com/user/voxelgeek
Remotehorst
Trained
Trained

Post by Remotehorst »

This is the "almost final" version of the Powerplant. A few glitches need to be fixed like some cables are to thick on the structure itself and the connection to the cables on the baseplate. But all in altogether im happy with it.
:)
powerplant_almostfinal.jpg
Collective Leader
Trained
Trained

Post by Collective Leader »

Oh wow this mod sounds AMAZING! Can't wait 'till it's done! :D
Warriors of the Collective, attack and destroy all who resist The Machine.
Remotehorst
Trained
Trained

Post by Remotehorst »

Oh wow this mod sounds AMAZING! Can't wait 'till it's done! :D
Me too. :)

I think i dont need to tell you the function of this structure:
Maybe someone got a good idea where to put the TC Mask on this building?
guess1.png
guess2.png
The next step will be the new Oilwell..
Then i make models for the updated structures.

There is a little problem with the shadows. I think they dont look so good on the structures.
Does anyone know how to prevent this?
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

I'm not sure what you mean. Prevent a building from casting shadows at all? And just the one building?
Remotehorst
Trained
Trained

Post by Remotehorst »

The shadows kill the illusion of a rounded shape (on the powerplant coil in the background).
What can i do there?

Rotating the structure or build it to fit the shadows, cant be the solution.
Remotehorst
Trained
Trained

Post by Remotehorst »

Here is the pie file and textures for the oilwell. (Updated texture and pie on the bottom of this post)

The pie is seperated into 3 levels:
Level 1 Base structure
Level 2 Grey floating Structure
Level 3 Stomping thingy

Now i noticed that i forgot to put the texture in the pie file. xD
But the texture is in the attachment. ;)

Update:

Texture prepared for animation:
page-108-player-buildings.png
Attachments
Tech-Oilwell.png
oilwell01.pie
(13.04 KiB) Downloaded 259 times
Remotehorst
Trained
Trained

Post by Remotehorst »

Sorry for tripleposting and maybe confusing because of the textures.
The upper texture is the updated one. Dont know why it doesnt place under the old one. :hmm:

Only 3 attachments are allowed, so i post the pie file here.
I would be glad if someone helps me with animating the 3 levels.
Level 2 needs only a little fix in time. The movement is exaclty like i wanted it! Im lucky :lol2:
Only level 3 needs to be moved differently. (No rotation and moving not only up but a bit back too)

I hope my mistakes in writing can be understood. :stressed:
Attachments
blderik.pie
(13.03 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Here is your oil derrick with a new animation. I just used the pump up/down animation for both level 2 and 3. Look at it in campaign, loading it in multiplayer will probably crash because I did not fix the wrf files for that yet. If you want to modify how the animation works, just play around with data/base/anims/blderik.ani

I had to rename your texture page, because it collided with an existing one (terrain texture).

Zip:
newderrick.zip
(789.02 KiB) Downloaded 234 times
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMVoE92Y4No
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

it seems it should go up higher and come down farther
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

macuser wrote:it seems it should go up higher and come down farther
Yes, but I was lazy, and just reused the pump animation from the current oil derrick :wink: Feel free to play around with it and make it better.
Remotehorst
Trained
Trained

Post by Remotehorst »

Thank you :)