Warzone's power system

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Re: Warzone's power system

Post by Zarel »

NoQ wrote:Not exactly. Unlike direct debit, speed of light debit works correctly when several things are ordered and money is not enough for any single one of them. That is, we allow partial paying, it just happens instantly.
"Correctly" is relative. I still think queueing them is the correct solution. =/
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

Yeah,I'd like to control where my power gets spent when I'm low with out canceling stuff, or putting stuff on hold.
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

wow... let's resume.

There is 2 phases of 3 segments each :
A-1) The first block which is A1 % of the total power cost. It goes in a block only when you have enough money to pay it.
A-2) The paiement segment. Where you invest money along the way is A2 % of the total power cost. I goes at A2s speed.
A-3) The production segment. Independent of the power it goes at A3s speed it's A3 % of the total production cost
B) Phase B is exactly the same as A except that instead of getting your money back, the "production" resume where you left it.

we'll need that set of 10 variables for each type of production.

↑ With this I believe that we can describe any of the proposed power system 'til now. As exemples :
*2.3.8 production and building is A2=100% A2s=5 A3=100% A3s=1 (the rest at 0).
*2.3.8 research is B2=100% B2s=5 B3=100% B3s=1 (the rest at 0) (same but use B (resumable)).
*Master use A2=100% A2s=1 A3s=10000 (instant production once paid).
*Direct debit as Zarel suggest : A1=100% A3=100% A3s=1.
*Direct debit as effigy sugggest : A2=100% A2s=10000 A3=100% A3s=1.

That might look complex at first but having one and only one function that manage everything have a lot of advantage afterward.
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

I've recently done a bit of thinking about this, and it seems as if I'm now in favor of a direct debit system, provided that, if the player doesn't have enough power, that units, buildings, and research are placed on a queue until enough power is accumulated to produce said unit or structure, or research said technology. (I'm in favor of reducing the amount of micromanagement required so that I could focus more on macromanaging the battle.) Otherwise, I'll just have to support a Command-&-Conquer-esque power flow system.

As for my previous argument:
Shadow Wolf TJC wrote:I'd personally stick with Warzone 2100's original power system as well. Otherwise, I fear that upgrades to building speed (such as Engineering), research speed (such as Synaptic Link Data Analysis), and production speed (such as Automated Manufacturing) wouldn't be of any use other than simply for unlocking more research options. :? Besides, if it's not broken, why try to fix it?
I suppose that upgrades to building, production, and research speed would still reduce the amount of time it takes to get stuff built, produced, or researched respectively, regardless of whether we're adopting a direct debit system or a power flow system.
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
Trifler
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Trifler »

Per wrote:In 2.3 and earlier versions, there is a two phase power system. When you build something, you first accrue power for production at some rate (first progress bar), and once power accrue is complete, you start the actual production at some other rate (second progress bar). This is as far as I know, a fairly unique system, in that I know no other game that has it.
I think it's pretty clear why the game developers went this route. The rate of energy production (converting oil into energy) is not going to be the same as the manufacturing rate. Also, they had techs to boost energy production rates and techs to boost manufacturing rates. Lumping them together probably ruined this concept.