Warzone's power system

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
effigy
Regular
Regular

Re: Warzone's power system

Post by effigy »

Safety0ff wrote:
effigy wrote:IIRC we were going back to the old power system, but each master release to date is still under the power flow method. Is reverting to the old power system still on the TODO list?
AFAIK it is, from what I've heard on IRC using the old code has pitfalls and so the old system needs to be re-implemented.
bummer :(

/me exits stage left
Iluvalar wrote:while at it, introduce a "power spending" upgrade please.

Or... wait, can i do it ? I believe the change must touch structure.cpp, structure.h, function.txt and stats.cpp .
I'm not sure what you mean. Explain what you want?
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

There is functions and upgrades for production speed, research speed, building speed (as you know). But there is no such function for power spending speed (the green bar).

Hmmm ... no bad idea... just linking the power spending to the relevant upgrade should be enough.
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

Oh, I see what you mean...yeah, that could be nice for the power system in <2.3.7. We were talking about bringing that system back to the development build. Maybe you mean to include this in the re-rewrite?
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
Asgorath
Trained
Trained

Post by Asgorath »

Personally I am glad that you decide to switch back to the original power system.
When playing the latest qt-20110320 I had very great problems to get on with the new system.
I was unable to calculate how much power I actually had spent already and how much power left behind.
Sometimes I used only 3 of 5 research facilities because I thought energy wouldn´t be sufficient but then energy level even increases and sometimes I build some tanks and do a lot of research and think I do have enough energy but all of a sudden energy is down to 0.

The original power system is easier to overpeer and it makes Warzone being special because I don´t know any other game using this sort of power system and it is very clear even to new players I guess.
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

I'd personally stick with Warzone 2100's original power system as well. Otherwise, I fear that upgrades to building speed (such as Engineering), research speed (such as Synaptic Link Data Analysis), and production speed (such as Automated Manufacturing) wouldn't be of any use other than simply for unlocking more research options. :? Besides, if it's not broken, why try to fix it?
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Besides, if it's not broken, why try to fix it?
It's a bit broken actually: the speed of green phase is proportional to FPS, you might have noticed it on high-oil maps.
But it's easy enough to fix it without switching the paradigm.
I agree, the classic power system is clearer (though it was worth trying).
Otherwise, I fear that upgrades to building speed (such as Engineering), research speed (such as Synaptic Link Data Analysis), and production speed (such as Automated Manufacturing) wouldn't be of any use other than simply for unlocking more research options.
That's a strange idea.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

i'm not sure, haven't played hi-power maps recently (:
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Good point :oops:
Black Project
Regular
Regular

Post by Black Project »

I appologize for reviving this topic

What would make interesting about the current (good & old) power system in the latest stable release is to make power accruing much faster, sorta like an instant power accruing.

I started to think about that after i realised how precious seconds are wasted in the power accruing proccess, this becomes more frequent after players reaches at higher technologies were more power are required, i don't mean the so popular high-oil games, but for the serious low-power games that most skilled WZ gamers play, this becomes an factor.

What about instant power accruing method in the old power system? This could save precious seconds (or even minutes) lost in a competitive game.

Regards BP
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Making the power accrue process much faster (perhaps constant time) has been discussed, and I agree that it would be a good idea. Now we all hope Zarel can make some time to rewrite the power code soon.
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

Something like a 3 second power accrue for any research item might make sense.
Black Project
Regular
Regular

Post by Black Project »

effigy wrote:Something like a 3 second power accrue for any research item might make sense.
I mean instant power accruing for everything (building, manufacturing, research), just in a blink of an eye or in the speed of light :wink:

BP
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Per wrote:Making the power accrue process much faster (perhaps constant time) has been discussed, and I agree that it would be a good idea. Now we all hope Zarel can make some time to rewrite the power code soon.
I haven't even found time for a fix for that one mod loading bug...

Sometime this summer.
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

Black Project wrote:
effigy wrote:Something like a 3 second power accrue for any research item might make sense.
I mean instant power accruing for everything (building, manufacturing, research), just in a blink of an eye or in the speed of light :wink:

BP
lol, well if it's "instant" isn't that the direct debit system?
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Not exactly. Unlike direct debit, speed of light debit works correctly when several things are ordered and money is not enough for any single one of them. That is, we allow partial paying, it just happens instantly.