Diorama random map generator, Windows version

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Diorama random map generator, Windows version

Post by EvilGuru »

[Previous title: You Can't Always Get What You Want...]
But, if you try sometimes you might find, you get what you need.

Anyway I have spent the last couple of hours in my Windows XP VM getting Diorama working. Four G 'n' T's later I have a working build of Diorama (wmt-1.1.1) on Windows.

The archive can be found here: http://freddie.witherden.org/drop/diorama.7z

To run: download of archive and extract it. Inside the directory should be an executable called diorama.exe along with several support files. Ignore them (but don't delete them!). Just click on diorama.exe.

I have tested it under Virtual Box (Windows XP) and Wine (GNU/Linux), It appears to work. Maps are saved to your Desktop in a folder called maps. From there you should be able to copy them to the map directory used by Warzone.

Along with the main window the program also opens up a command prompt terminal. This is where debugging information is dumped. If something goes wrong/won't start it is worth looking there for insights. Unfortunately, I am unable to provide support for start-up type problems. (By all means post them, however, since it works for me, I am unlikely to be able to reproduce them.)

Currently I have no plans to post build instructions. This is primarily because although reaching the Ballmer Peak allows for super-human programming abilities it does not allow for super-human recollection. Needless to say quite a few changes were required in order to get it working under Windows.

(As an aside: I am fully aware of the irony associated with the first Windows build of Diorama coming from a Mac/Linux user.)

Polemically yours, Freddie.
Dalton
Trained
Trained

Re: You Can't Always Get What You Want...

Post by Dalton »

Works under Windows 7, but the map will not run in Warzone.

Two Maps:
2c-diorama-0629-1919.wz
(23.21 KiB) Downloaded 617 times
2c-diorama-0629-1919.wz
(23.21 KiB) Downloaded 617 times
Attachments
2c-diorama-0629-1924.wz
(24.43 KiB) Downloaded 571 times
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

Compliments to E.G. on the hard work and success. Perhaps if we gnu what kind of gin you were using, it would provide inspiration to others.
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

stiv wrote:Compliments to E.G. on the hard work and success. Perhaps if we gnu what kind of gin you were using, it would provide inspiration to others.
Gordon's London dry gin. Naturally.

Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Daltx wrote:Works under Windows 7, but the map will not run in Warzone.

Two Maps:
2c-diorama-0629-1919.wz
2c-diorama-0629-1919.wz
Several things I see right off:

1.) File name is too long

2.) File structure is off going into the multiplay layer

3.) dinit.bjo is not correct
stiv wrote:Compliments to E.G. on the hard work and success. Perhaps if we gnu what kind of gin you were using, it would provide inspiration to others.
Second that. :)

Clever use of classic Stone's lyric too. 8)
EvilGuru wrote:
Gordon's London dry gin. Naturally.

More a vodka & tequila man myself but I do like Tanqueray gin. Never had Gordon's. Maybe the next I need inspirational beverage I'll give it a shot. ;)

- RV :ninja:
Dylan Hsu
Banned
Banned

Post by Dylan Hsu »

Everything works great except for when I try to save a map - I get this error.
I dug in library.zip and found tilesets\arizona.pyc but no ttp. I tried to extract library.zip to the diorama folder and change it to tilesets\arizona.ttp, but then the save process just hangs and doesn't output anything.

Also, here's the incomplete .wz map file if that helps.

Edit: Went and grabbed ttypes.ttp from a different arizona map and put it where it belonged in the .wz archive, and it works ingame now. Strange...
Attachments
2c-plox1.wz
(21.09 KiB) Downloaded 586 times
greenshot_2010-07-01_18-06-52.jpg
Dylan Hsu
Banned
Banned

Post by Dylan Hsu »

Yes, double posting, +1, ok.
Here is my temporary fix if you are having the same problem as I am.
diorama_workaround.7z (right click and save!)

If you want to do it by hand instead, with EG's original 7z:
  1. Download wmt-1.1.1.tar.bz2 and unzip.
  2. Extract the contents of library.zip (within windows diorama folder) to diorama\library.
  3. Copy contents of wmt-1.1.1\tilesets\ to diorama\library\tilesets\
  4. Rezip diorama\library\ and replace library.zip
  5. Copy the contents of diorama\library\ to diorama\. This should create diorama\tilesets\ along with other files and folders.
  6. Restart Diorama.exe
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

An off-topic conversation was split to Dylan Hsu speculation
Crymson
Trained
Trained

Re: Diorama random map generator, Windows version

Post by Crymson »

Will this be going into svn anytime soon?
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

Right, question time.

I have come up with an improved way to package/release Diorama. The result will be a single .exe as opposed to a .7z file. This should be much more user friendly. However, it will take me some time to produce.

Hence, before I embark on this I want to gauge the interest from the community. If there is sufficient interest I'll go ahead and do it.

Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

EvilGuru wrote:Right, question time.

I have come up with an improved way to package/release Diorama. The result will be a single .exe as opposed to a .7z file. This should be much more user friendly. However, it will take me some time to produce.

Hence, before I embark on this I want to gauge the interest from the community. If there is sufficient interest I'll go ahead and do it.

I think it would be very worthwhile based on most of the maps that have been made the last 6 months.

There are a few exceptions, of course, but most are not much different than ones made 10 years ago.

There are a number of reasons for that but the one I think is the most telling is that making aesthetically high quality & complex maps (non-flat, non-mirrored geometry, naturalistic, etc) is very time consuming and most are into the instant gratification of putting just a few hours at most into creating a map derived from 10 year-old metrics (also, many cannot make anything but really simple HMs, if that).

And this is where Dioramawould come in, IMO, for those map-makers with limited time-frames to work on new maps. They could generate a random map with Diorama, bata-bing-bata-boom, then bring it into Flail 13's flaME and spend those few hours customizing & modifying, in highly original ways, to create maps that are not the same 'ol from a decade past.

Anyway, that's this mans practical PoV on making this effort, for what ever it's worth. 8)

- RV :hmm:

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

will it be possible to merge Diorama RMG into the FlaME and release it there as a "generate random map" option?
may be It can't be possible on code level but for a newbs it will be easier to use the 1 program instead of 2. :)
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

MaNGusT wrote:will it be possible to merge Diorama RMG into the FlaME and release it there as a "generate random map" option?
may be It can't be possible on code level but for a newbs it will be easier to use the 1 program instead of 2. :)
Since flaME is written in VB, it isn't.
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

EvilGuru wrote:Right, question time.

Please do :)
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

Okay. The new version, in .exe form, is now ready. You can grab it from https://freddie.witherden.org/drop/diorama.exe . It is slightly larger than my previous attempt but has the advantage of being a single monolithic executable and is built against newer versions of Python/Qt/friends.

Enjoy. If you've had trouble with the .7z attempt this may well work better for you (I've included some more .dll files which some systems do not provide).