New base structure models, if anyone wants?

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
yahodahan
Trained
Trained

New base structure models, if anyone wants?

Post by yahodahan »

Hi again all! Spent way too much time playing WZ2100 this weekend, got nothing done, it's all your fault.

That said, I still love WZ + this site more than Grr loves tacos :D

Here is the latest batch of 3D models I've managed to whip up, this time in just one night of work, whoohoo! Suddenly got quite the hankering to rebuild all the base game structures, and I'm doin' it up. As usual, none are finished texturing yet, and that may take...oh say, a year? 2 years? 2 days? I never know. I have terminal project ADD :P

However, I'm really happy with how these models alone are coming so far. Meanwhile, if anyone would like to use these halfway models, for anything, anytime, just download and do as you like. If I need to sign some sort of fancy smancy freeby license, I'm happy to do that, so there are no legal issues.

Screenshots:

Each model is about 800-1000 poly, so perhaps a little high for the game. The research building is actually only 300, and I've even fully unwrapped and AOmapped it, much further along than the others.
In-viewport Screenshot:

email me if you'd like to download (runnin outa space, gotta shuffle stuff around, sry) :)

Of course, I'd also love to hear thoughts/suggestions/etc. Thanks, keep up the great work here!
Berg
Regular
Regular

Re: New base structure models, if anyone wants?

Post by Berg »

yahodahan wrote:Of course, I'd also love to hear thoughts/suggestions/etc. Thanks, keep up the great work here!
Nice work ....is that in blender?
You art is your own so you can state what licence they have I use CC by that means its allowed to be used by anyone long as they have a credit for you.
You models are stunning I would like to see you learn more about PIE format and so on.
Please attempt to texture your models.
I do like your ideas i see potential.
Regards berg
BlueMaxima
Trained
Trained

Post by BlueMaxima »

These would be great new models to complement the terrain renderer coming in 3.0, good job mate.
Bring back...ducks!
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

Great work! Would love to see them textured and in-game...
Just a thing about the factory: I think the modules should be attatching themselves to each other, not being separtate, as factory only works on 1 vechile at a time.

Umm... How should we mail you? You have no mail published here...
Could you please send me the models?
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

One night's work?? That's amazing talent man!! And the models are awesome!!

I especially liked the factory, regardless of KukY's reasoning being most likely true. I think it looks great! All the models look great.

Good work yahodahan.. I'm really glad that you love the game this much :)
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Wolftrak
Trained
Trained

Post by Wolftrak »

First,I like your models a lot.Awesome stuff.But i want to point out one thing from the official style guide:
The game is set in a post-apocalyptic atmosphere. This means things are generally run-down, worn, massively reused and patched up, rather than polished and stylish. The landscape around bases has seen the destruction of massive nuclear warfare, and should in general be war-torn, destroyed, in disrepair, cratered, and started to be reclaimed by the wild.
The player's units and buildings are futuristic but also primarily created with a military "good enough and practical" mindset.
Your models look too futuristic for the official buildings,IMO.They're missing the "good enough and practical" and patched up look.
I still would like to see your models replace them.I would vote for your models.
yahodahan
Trained
Trained

Post by yahodahan »

Oi, thanks for all the replies, really apprecieated! Now I just need to reply and get some more work done...

Berg: Thanks! Nope, I use 3ds Max. Tried blender, as I would love to go the free and open route, but it boggled my mind and sent me screaming for max...lol. CC license it is, then :) I do intend on learning the PIE engine soon, I'm fluent with a few other engines already so it shouldn't be tough. (hope). Today is texture day!

BlueMaxima: Terrain Renderer in 3.0?? I must look into this. Sounds cool! Thanks!

KukY: Maybe i should show better pics- currently, they all attach at the rear (ha, i made a funny) via some tubes and stuff. I'll post a real download link soon, sry, meanwhile my email is (contact) (at) (ofgabriel) (.com) Thanks!

joshdrunkonwar: Well, one really lucky nights work, haha...not usually so fast :P I think I just had some good ideas suddenly sprout from my head and managed to whip 'em up fast. Actually, all the modeling was done in a few hours, then another few just to unwrap and AOmap ONE structure. Yech, i hate UVW unwrapping :P Thanks for the compliments! Yeah, the factory is probobly my favorite :D (can you picture big plumes of smoke rising from those grills? I can!)

Wolftrak: 100% agree on the "post-nuclear-busted-good-enough-dirty-worn-etc". That will all come into play once I start texturing. If this were for a newer engine/game, I would use more polys and model some busted sections, obviously worn parts, etc, but keeping poly count low so textures will show all that. Besides, I'm a big fan of the semi "stylized" art style of WZ2100- ie, nothing looks truly realistic, but a slightly simplified and broadly painted version-of. TF2-ish. Clean lines work well for that, and the textures really will show off the wear and tear :) I'm not certain that they look too futuristic...hmm...maybe so... Thanks!!

That's it for now, gotta do some "real" (ie, paid) 3D booooring stuff first, then onto texturing :)
yahodahan
Trained
Trained

Post by yahodahan »

Update: HQ is almost fully unwrapped. Some quick and dirty work on them antaner, and some fixing on the side UVW (see the ugly stretching? yech).

I've also got some poly optimizing to do...a little late to see that...lol. Oh well :P The lines through the center ARE necessary though, they allow me to symmetry the "Deck" into 4 identical pieces, thereby giving quadruple texture resolution :D

Didn't have much time tonight, and all of tomorow is gone...then July 4th is coming...oi...hoping to finish before end of week, at least the UVW unwrapping! Textures will be a whole nother matter. At least that's the fun part :)
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

Factory just so great =) imho best model I've seen so far.
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

yahodahan, I hope you will put a request out on the Modding section so that someone makes a mod for your models. I want that factory. That factory is my precious :twisted:
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
yahodahan
Trained
Trained

Post by yahodahan »

(Ren's voice from Ren and Stimpy)- "no, my (factory), YEEEWWWW cannnnot take MMYY facTORY! EVERYbody...always...trying...to take it! MINE! MINE!"

space madness? ice cream bar? anybody else remember that? :D hahaha...
(okay, supposedly i'm at work...back to that)
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Nice models indeed, they only have one problem. They are "medium-poly"
This means that they would propably work vey well in newer games, but they're too hi-poly for the .pie format. They're also not really as good as a real hi-poly when it comes to baking textures and normal maps for the low-poly model.
Vey good modelng though :)
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
yahodahan
Trained
Trained

Post by yahodahan »

Even these are too high?? I figured WZ could handle 1000 polys fine, if it's just on a few structures...the camera view should only see one of each of these at a time, so it's not rendering much (not like units/defense/etc)

I could definitly rip a ton out though, if it just won't work. First I'm gonna figure out the PIE editor and give 'er a test though!
Thanks!
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Yahodahan, I LOVE your models (I checked out your website, although I'm not too fond of adobe flash) Have you looked at our art revolution page? http://artrev2100.sourceforge.net (it's not nearly done thought -still need to work on turrets, propulsions etc)
-regards macuser
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

The PIE format has a limit of 512 tris and 768 vertices, according to this http://developer.wz2100.net/wiki/PIE_models
Oh and if you're interested in joining Art Revolution, you're welcome (although we require quite low polycounts)
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-