user friendly database (website) for txt files

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
DylanDog
Code contributor
Code contributor

user friendly database (website) for txt files

Post by DylanDog »

First of ll, not sure this is the right place to post this.

The txt files contained in the stats folder of mp.wz contain a lot of useful information for both the players and the mod developers. It would be great if someone (I am not thinking only about the WZ developers, they are too busy...) with a bit of PHP/MySQL/Javascript could try to create a website where the users can dinamically play with those files to gain some information.

An example: Imagine a website where you can build up a template by selecting bodies, weapon and propulsion from a drop down lists and you get info like HP, speed, costs...and even pre-requisites.
My Warzone 2100 mods:
Download DyDo-AI for Warzone skirmish/multiplayer games.
Download A2C-HM (Alpha 2 Campaign - Hard Mode).
Download A3C-HM (Alpha 3 Campaign - Hard Mode).
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Re: user friendly database (website) for txt files

Post by Zarel »

This has been a planned feature of the Guide for a while...

Currently, you can construct units with a URL interface:

http://guide.wz2100.net/u/machinegun-viper-wheels
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

nice XD

~Olrox
i-NoD
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by i-NoD »

Are you sure this one would fly? :hmm:
Or it's a suicide bomb? O_o

Nice feature, btw...
sicanjal
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sicanjal »

Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

i-NoD wrote:Are you sure this one would fly? :hmm:
Or it's a suicide bomb? O_o

Nice feature, btw...
Yeah, it wouldn't fly. Better this way :wink:

Hmm, i'm wondering, would it be unhumanly difficult to make a 3d simulation of the vehicles? I remember the 3D-view system from WoWhead, which allows you to see pretty much any model in 3d.

If we got that feature, we could also have some info panel, with extended statistics for the made combination, like average time to build, speed on diverse terrains, graphics displaying damage to each kind of target, etc. If made with enough inspiration, maybe even have some "direct conflict simulator", which allows you to assembly a group, and see what happens if it faces one each other in direct conflict (no hit-and-run or terrain advantages, probably making a calculation based on speed/range for the first and second shots, and then rolling every shot as if both weapons were in range), with the possibility to re-roll the result.

Hmm, maybe I've gone a bit ahead, but even the improved statistics display feature would be nice for the guide, or to distribute along with the game, of both. Then new players can see which units could win in direct conflit against which adversaries. I know this would take a good time if it'll ever be made, and that it is not a priority in any means, but... Would be certainly nice also for modders to test if their weapons are balanced without having to resort to opening the game and starting a skirmish every time he tweaks any weapon :hmm:

What do you think? Will it ever be worthy making? Maybe I should create a specific topic for that in the ideas/suggestions not to pollute this one too much - in this case, just gimme a shout :)
Hey, careful with that thing :o !!!

~Olrox
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

yes it is possible for an in website 3d interactable area for it like on google's sketch up warehouse (http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... revstart=0) . also a feature i would like to see in the game is the actual ratings of the bodies weapons etc when you hover over them in design or build.

-regards macuser
Last edited by macuser on 23 Mar 2010, 01:02, edited 1 time in total.
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

macuser wrote:yes it is possible for an in website 3d interactable area for it like on google's sketch up warehouse. also a feature i would like to see in the game is the actual ratings of the bodies weapons etc when you hover over them in design or build.
In design: It already does that.

In build: This is planned.
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

in design it only show a slider of the rating for each individual part not numbers or what each weapon is good at :p.

-regards macuser
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

macuser wrote:also a feature i would like to see in the game is the actual ratings of the bodies weapons etc when you hover over them in design or build.
Yep - when you position your mouse over a component, you can see a white marker showing what the statistics are going to look like. Thinking it over, and making a really quick question - wouldn't it be better to have that like the power bar? Show green bar if the statistic is going to be improved, or red if it's going to be decreased, along with the actual values of the mouse-over component?

Elio was/is/dunno working on an improved GUI, with graphics and nice stuff. If you search around you can find that topic.

~Olrox
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

gr8 idea olrox but still I would like numbers and some text elling what that weapon is good at :)

-regards macuser
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

macuser wrote:gr8 idea olrox but still I would like numbers and some text elling what that weapon is good at :)

-regards macuser
Yep, I think we should propose that on the right topics, now - we both are already a bit too off-topic :P

Ok, putting it in a more simple way, my opinion is:
It'd be better to have a tool, separate from the site, to play around with .txt changes, check files and point out errors in a quicker way than having to open the game everytime. That's because then, people wouldn't have to rely on a stable internet connection to work with that. Flail13's flaTE is already fairly good, perhaps that could be adapted to an official tool?

Actually I think that this file-checking tool wouldn't be that complex, perhaps it can be made as a separate tool and as a site feature simultaneously. But that's my know-nothing-about-coding guess.

Zarel, Per, i-nod, any other staff member, got a defined opinion about that yet? Does the idea need to evolve more, before you tell us wether is a good thing/bad thing? Anyone willing to do that in the future? :ninja:

~Olrox
kringled
Trained
Trained

Post by kringled »

macuser - which numbers did you want? For units that you design, most of the numbers are right there on screen, or for movement/armor, you can go back to those screens and get the exact numbers. The main things that I can think of that aren't on screen are : splash damage/area; burn damage/time for flamers; #of shots/salvo. Of course, the weapon/target damage table isn't in there.
Personally I'd like to be able to get some of that info for built structures, and for cyborgs, both of which I can't right now.
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

The same numbers that are on the guide online:

Damage: 55s 178s
ROF: 15 37.5
DPS: 6.2 69.3
Accuracy:
(close-long) 70-55% 84-66%
Range:
(close-long) 5- 7.5
Base Upgraded
HP: 300
Weight: 5000

and of coarse something on the side telling what the weapon is good at :)

-regards macuser
ArtRev Website

ImageImage