Power levels and oil derricks

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Power levels and oil derricks

Post by Zarel »

So I notice maps with wildly different numbers of oil derricks, which I feel is bad, since a user might like a map, but it doesn't have the power level they like...

This was the problem that the power level option is supposed to solve. But the problem is, the power level option isn't enough.

Currently, power multipliers are, for low, medium, and high respectively:

0.75 - 1.0 - 1.25

For a map with 4 oil derricks in-base, this is the equivalent of having 3, 4, and 5 derricks in-base, respectively. Not really enough of a difference, which is what causes people to make maps with way too much oil. Therefore, I propose, adding a new "super high power levels", and then changing the multipliers to:

0.5 - 1.0 - 1.5 - 2.0

With these settings, recommended oil per person on an average map is: 4 derricks in-base, 2-4 derricks near-base, and 2-8 derricks scattered around map (depending on size of map). Except in extremely special circumstances, there should not be more than 16 derricks per player on a map.
KukY
Regular
Regular

Re: Power levels and oil derricks

Post by KukY »

Maybe 5 levels:

Extremely low(0.25) --- Low(0.6) --- Normal(1) --- High(1.75) --- Extremely high(5)
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

No, I can only fit 4 levels in.

I'd prefer to have more granularity than nothing between 0.25 and 1, or 1 and 1.75.

0.5 - 1.0 - 1.5 - 2.0

is nice, since it's lots easier to remember.
Dylan Hsu
Banned
Banned

Post by Dylan Hsu »

Zarel's proposal sounds good.

By the way, you can get spending quite a bit late-game with 15 factories running on manufacture upgrades. The argument that "you already have enough power" is pretty worthless.
3drts
Trained
Trained

Post by 3drts »

Well thats kind of the point of power, you can't afford to keep your factories going non-stop, and thats the way it should be.
This reduces the importance of factory upgrades, as power is limiting more often than production time.

But fast production time, even with limited power, gives you more flexibility, if a new tech(mostly a new weapon tech) is close to finishing, they you can stop manufacture and spending in other areas, and build up a power supply, and your upgrades factories can get that new weapon into the field sooner.
Or you see your opponents is making VTOLs/cyborgs, you can react quicker by getting the appropriate counter units to what the enemy has faster.

It also means if your factories are dispersed throughout the territory you control (assuming a low oil map where you must defend a wide territory to have an adequate power supply), the closest factory can produce units close to where they are needed at a faster rate.

Personally, I never cared much for production UGs, other than as a way of getting better cannon ROF, but I never played high oil maps, lately it seems thats all I end up playing online though...
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Well, now "low power" should make high-oil maps at least somewhat playable. ;)
Mats
Trained
Trained

Post by Mats »

Sounds good. Maybe there will be less maps with stupid amounts of power in base. Defeats the whole point of warzone outside of the campaign - To take and defend resources and find the best balance between focusing limited resources. Not having 5 researche facilities and 5 factories on constant researching and production for a whole game...
Full of ideas - Most are probably useless. Feel free to ignore them :)