Multi-turrets?

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.

Should Dragon be a multi-turret body?

Yes (like in current 2.3 betas)
87%
No (like in 2.2)
13%

Total votes: 39

KenAlcock
Trained
Trained

Re: Multi-turrets?

Post by KenAlcock »

Fix it! Hell no, I haven't beaten them yet!

The problem is that Beta 9 keeps autokicking the players with that buggy Integrity check gestapo thing-a--ma-jig.
But I still want to play that map again with, even with a seriously cheating AI (okay, I like tilting at windmills too).

Can't you let the AI cheat like this on the very top setting, but remove it, one click below the top setting?
My game handle is Cosmic Raven or Cosmic Raven 68
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

Daltx wrote:I know the dragon is the only multi-turret body for human players but how come sometimes I will see the AI with a multi-turret body I think the most recent one was a double heavy cannon on a cobra body half-tracks. It is interesting to me since on some maps I never see this happening and on others it fairly frequently occurs. The last map I saw it on was nf4v4. If you want I can take screen-shot next time.
Fixed in r9605, the ai now longer builds units with multiple turrets on bodies which aren't the dragon.

Perhaps letting the ai cheat in this way and other ways could be an additional difficulty to the ai. And then a really evil/super cheating ai could even build nexus structures! :twisted:
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

Mysteryem wrote:And then a really evil/super cheating ai could even build nexus structures! :twisted:
Why? As much as I know, Nexus defenses aren't any stronger than NP ones, they just look meaner :twisted: .
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

Ah, but the NEXUS defenses have much better internal sensors, in some cases they will be shooting you before you can even see them. And then you add that NEXUS plasma artillery weapon to the mix. O_O
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

Mysteryem wrote:Ah, but the NEXUS defenses have much better internal sensors, in some cases they will be shooting you before you can even see them. And then you add that NEXUS plasma artillery weapon to the mix. O_O
Twice normal range!!!
Nexus sensor name makes no sense: "NavGunSensor" O_o
Plasma? You are supposed to be able to get to enemy base no matter how strong that AI is!!!
Mats
Trained
Trained

Post by Mats »

Is it possible to add that plasma cannon (already in the game stupid me) morter into the game, once you have the dragon body, you could put two turrets on it, or one plasma cannon... It would have to have a very high cost though (2000 extra power for the plasma cannon turret)? I'm no coder, so I don't know how hard that would be to impliment and don't know what anyone else thinks about this, but I get a feeling that a lot of people would like to see this weapon in multiplayer. It seems to be the only weapon now unavailable in multiplayer.

Thanks for the fix Mysteryem :)
Last edited by Mats on 07 Feb 2010, 14:58, edited 1 time in total.
Full of ideas - Most are probably useless. Feel free to ignore them :)
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

Mats wrote:Is it possible to add that plasma cannon into the game, once you have the dragon body, you could put two turrets on it, or one plasma cannon... It would have to have a very high cost though (2000 extra power for the plasma cannon turret)? I'm no coder, so I don't know how hard that would be to impliment and don't know what anyone else thinks about this, but I get a feeling that a lot of people would like to see this weapon in multiplayer. It seems to be the only weapon now unavailable in multiplayer.

Thanks for the fix Mysteryem :)
It isn't Plasma Cannon;
it is Plasma MORTAR.
Plasma Cannon is direct laser type short range weapon with big splash.

I have mods that replace Plasma Cannon with Plasma Mortar.
"Either 2 of these or 1 this..."
That would require lot of scripting, if it is even possible.
HCN-Trooper
Trained
Trained

Post by HCN-Trooper »

i'd like to see that a multi turret will be more like the third option you said...

it can only occur on heavy bodies without VTOL propulsion:
-only 2 small/medium weapons
- a Heavy weapon with a small one on top (like an assault gun, which might have a size reduction, on a heavy cannon)
-a commander turret should be in the mix too
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Hey Zarel, if you gather a list of names I can make super-heavy bodies for all the factions, for you. Or make new heavy ones that fit two turrets.

If so, I'll map them using the standard textures not to cause a clash of styles, then I make my own for AR, separately. What do you think?

I'm out of ideas for producing stuff for you guys, I've talked to Mangust and we are going to make all the bodies, and then propose them, but that'll take some time. I think that Colditz is also going to make more structures before you'll add them to the game (I'm waiting for him to post the model with the textures I've made, but I think it looks too good to be let amidst the current ones - seriously).

And then there's the stuff about the bump maps/specular maps, we don't know for sure if it's really worthy making our models with support for those features - if they are going to take long to be implemented or if they can be quickly. All the AR textures only use textures, no maps, but if you're going to have support for bump-map at least, we'll need to modify them drastically.

Well, I'll send a PM to you when I've got more time, but I wanted to make it clear that I'm disposed to help with those new body models, if you are interested!
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

I think current system works fine...

Can we just make a multi-turret-supporting Dragon, for now?

And work on getting our existing models/textures in-game, before we look on to loftier goals? :/

I hate having all this stuff and none of it actually in the game. :/
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

It's cuz it's really hard to make something really good that doesn't look completely weird in the middle of the current models. That's the sole reason why I think it's better to go on larger steps, if the staff really wants to avoid the clash of styles so much.

You'll see what I mean when you get Colditz' Factory model ingame. You'll want a whole base made made of Cyborg factories, and nothing more :cool:
As for the AR bodies, they aren't good enough as I see them right now, but even when they are good, we'll feel just the same: Good, new things, will look out of place. I wouldn't allow any of my stuff to be committed if I don't think it's not as good as it could be. Because textures can be adjusted until they look as good as they could be, with no performance drawbacks: A good reason for hard work.

I think that it's really a journey to get to Dragon, only a few games get to see them (probably only 4x4 or such, or games that start T3, or games in huge maps with 50 oil in each base).

Well, we are going to remake the AR models, planning them for use with bump-map support anyway. I just wanted to know if the staff is interested in having more super-heavy bodies with diverse balance. And again, I hope that the staff is really making good decisions on when to hear the crowds or when to keep the good sense.

Because, if it was for some weird folks, we'd have "quad plasma artillery with fast-fire and huge splash and tons of damage, light-weight tough but really costly" or something like that xD
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Super-heavy Collective bodies would be interesting.

Super-heavy Nexus bodies... less sure. Seems they'd be overpowered.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

I think that I'll try to make a test mod with super-heavy bodies for all factions but no Wyvern or Dragon. I'll see if I can figure out the needed alterations for multi-turret positions.
Ahhh, sometimes I think if it would be better not to get into so much different things, but I can't help it :rolleyes: