Translation question

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
chtsau
Greenhorn

Translation question

Post by chtsau »

In the Intelligence Display
string about the artifact information are not translated(red area)? :|
Attachments
wz2100_shot_018.JPG
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Re: Translation question

Post by Buginator »

Either it was a fuzzy translation, or the text in question isn't translatable (yet).
and it ends here.
ThomasCarstein
Trained
Trained

Post by ThomasCarstein »

Hi all.

I was AFK for a while and I just tested the new & final 2.2.0 version yesterday. As expected, almost everything is running normally - except this problem, which I also encountered. It appears in the info lines on the game screen as well as in the tech info which was posted by chtsau.

I have just yesterday updated the translation files according to the latest sl.po file in the trunk and made a new ticket, but untill now I didn't know about this fuzzy translation issue, so i'll probably have to do it again... So, from what I can guess, the way to eliminate this is to open up the .po file in a text editor and remove all "#" signs in front of the fuzzy translations?

Let me know if this is how it's done - I'll aslo research a bit myself. See you soon, bye
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

You need to correct the translation if necessary, and remove the "fuzzy" line completely.
chtsau
Greenhorn

Post by chtsau »

but I am sure it is not fuzzy translation. O_O
I use the Poedit and notepad2 to check the po file. see the pic
Attachments
not fuzzy2.JPG
not fuzzy.JPG
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

chtsau wrote:but I am sure it is not fuzzy translation. O_O
I use the Poedit and notepad2 to check the po file. see the pic
Are you saying that, only that text in the pic isn't translated, or is everything in the intel screen not translated?
and it ends here.
chtsau
Greenhorn

Post by chtsau »

evertthing in the intel screen about artifact info are not translated. O_O
but the mission and campaign object in the intel screen are fully translated. :)
Kaldera
Trained
Trained

Post by Kaldera »

Same with me.
wz2100_shot_003.png
Windows 7 RC / Athlon 64 X2 / NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

...you know, we don't maintain translations enough to deal with this fuzzy translation stuff. Just unfuzz it - if people complain about inaccuracies in their language, we can fix it then.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Zarel wrote:...you know, we don't maintain translations enough to deal with this fuzzy translation stuff. Just unfuzz it - if people complain about inaccuracies in their language, we can fix it then.
So you rather have translated sentences than correct ones? Perhaps we shouldn't release any non-complete translations, just keep them in SVN for people to complete. Imo that's still better than just saying "oh, it's probably right, or at least not completely wrong, and who cares if it confuses people anyway".
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

cybersphinx wrote:So you rather have translated sentences than correct ones? Perhaps we shouldn't release any non-complete translations, just keep them in SVN for people to complete. Imo that's still better than just saying "oh, it's probably right, or at least not completely wrong, and who cares if it confuses people anyway".
Well, I would rather have translated sentences than non-translated sentences, on the off chance that, say, "Sensors Improved'" should for some reason be translated differently in data/base/... than in data/mp/...

Not publishing the translation unless it's complete is definitely an option, and would probably be better at getting translators to keep up, if they knew that falling behind means the entire translation disappears. But as I said, the bigger problem is that we don't have a dedicated-enough translation team, and I'm not sure such measures would help (while, on the other hand, it would be annoying to users not to have translations for large swaths of time).
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Zarel wrote:Well, I would rather have translated sentences than non-translated sentences, on the off chance that, say, "Sensors Improved'" should for some reason be translated differently in data/base/... than in data/mp/...
But "fuzzy" means "the string was changed, and the translation is not exact anymore (and might even be completely wrong)". So just removing the "fuzzy" attribute isn't much use, someone needs to check those. It's basically just a help for the translator, saying "a previous string in this position was translated as ...".
ThomasCarstein wrote:As expected, almost everything is running normally - except this problem, which I also encountered. It appears in the info lines on the game screen as well as in the tech info which was posted by chtsau.
I guess we need to mark those strings as translatable then.
I have just yesterday updated the translation files according to the latest sl.po file in the trunk
Using the one from the 2.2 branch will be more useful.
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

Well, I would rather have translated sentences than non-translated sentences,
Just removing the fuzzies is a bad idea. Some of them have been just flat out wrong. We need to get a native speaker to look at them.

Having the string untranslated serves as a marker that something needs to be done there.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Buginator wrote:Either it was a fuzzy translation, or the text in question isn't translatable (yet).
...or the translation isn't used. Fixed in SVN.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

cybersphinx wrote:But "fuzzy" means "the string was changed, and the translation is not exact anymore (and might even be completely wrong)". So just removing the "fuzzy" attribute isn't much use, someone needs to check those. It's basically just a help for the translator, saying "a previous string in this position was translated as ...".
Oh. I thought it was "The same string in another position was translated as..." - in that case, probably better to leave it fuzzy and wait for a real translator.