Space Combat/Drop Pods/Wahtever

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Kharos
Rookie
Rookie

Space Combat/Drop Pods/Wahtever

Post by Kharos »

I thought we could bring an element of space besides the laser satellite, which sucked as a battery of 10 archangels and a satellite uplink did the job better, such as cyborg drop pods, space-dropped mechs (could have a landing pad, would be a factory-type thing, y'know, just for the drop pod) or mebbe we could have it so ther're 2 types of match, a space type where everything's movebale, because everythings floating just above the earths atmosphere, so factories and HQs can fly all over the place, we would have jet trooper cyborgs, only VTOLS, but different VTOL propulsions, you know, teh shtuff like that, and the normal kind.
ThunderBuns
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Space Combat/Drop Pods/Wahtever

Post by ThunderBuns »

O_o
Space battles would require a massive amount of coding so I think that's out of the question.

The dropping of units seems far too WH40Kish to me...I don't really think it fits WZ2100.
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

as i read Kharos there are NO battles in outer space.. (correct me if i am mistaken..)

the granddaddy of these concepts come from "Starship Troopers", the 1959 science fiction novel by Robert A. Heinlein.. (NOT the movie)

if done as a mod those who don't like the idea don't have to play - simple.

and it CAN be done as a Mod without any source code changes... all done in wz script. course you also need new art. (when is the last
time you saw the WZ LASAT ?)

however, as far as i can tell, moders tend to work on their own inspired original ideas (or borrowing from other moders released work) and not on those ideas of folk who can't do a lick of implementation..... and that dynamic makes perfect sense to me, truth be told.. i've yet to meet a moder with the disposition of Mother Theresa....

"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction." Anthem

"Art is the selective recreation of reality according to the artist's metaphysical value judgments." A. Rand
Tiberian
Trained
Trained

Post by Tiberian »

whippersnapper wrote:..
the granddaddy of these concepts come from "Starship Troopers", the 1959 science fiction novel by Robert A. Heinlein.. (NOT the movie)
the movie was PRETTY good though :P

on topic: i don't reckon space combat would work very well considering warzone's playstyle, but i could be wrong..
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

NewTiberian wrote:
the movie was PRETTY good though :P

on topic: i don't reckon space combat would work very well considering warzone's playstyle, but i could be wrong..
i actually liked the movie a lot (also the CGI animation series too)... i only made that parenthetical remark because Heinlein
described a bunch of kwel technology in the novel that never made it into the movie - probably not enough of a budget to do it.

i don't think space combat in wz is even feasible but how I understand the proposition here is like a drop re-supply from orbit to the surface which
could all be scripted. what you'd see in-game would be stuff coming out of the map edges like the vtols and transports do in the Campaign so
in essence it would have to be a Mod-Map combo like "Citadel Elite" with it's own a.i. scripts (one of my personal favorite creations that only has a v.1.10 version)..

"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction." Anthem

"Art is the selective recreation of reality according to the artist's metaphysical value judgments." A. Rand
Kharos
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Kharos »

Well, excuse me for making a suggestion.
I'm not a modder or coder, I've never written a line of code in my life. Excuse me for thinking of you as being smart enough to type code!
Edit: This was addressed to ThunderBuns, btw.
ThunderBuns
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ThunderBuns »

You ask for criticism on your idea, so I gave you my thoughts. It appeared to me that you didn't know how to code, so I gave a realistic answer to the space battles. As for the dropping of the units, all I said was that to me it didn't fit the world of Warzone 2100 very well.

Don't take criticism offensively, it's not meant to be received that way.
Kharos
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Kharos »

I dunno how to answer this in my current mood without giving offense. So I'll just type the first thing that comes into my head. Mangel Wurzel.
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

there are 2 basic ways of approaching changes to wz.

one - changes to the main game distro.

two - mods to the main game distro.

# 1 has to seriously consider what "fits" Pumpkin's original creation - from many frames of reference

#2 has only 2 refs: will it be fun to play and can it be done withOUT source changes. other than that my sense
is that you can do whatever suits your vision as the moder - whether it "fits" Pumpkin's original is really
not of any import as it would be with # 1.

lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

we are all aware of - or should be - that this site is a non-flame site. in other words if someone respoinds with a critique or a different point of view dont take it personally. having been in the warzone 2100 community for a good number of years - starting with newst and continuing here with resurrection - i have seen a fair share of hot flame wars start and continue for a good number of weeks - all over misused word or a sentence that was misconstrued as being harsh. being as we are in a world wide community that has such a disparate members list ( many many many many different languages and customs). we - this board decided that flames or such that could be taken as flames would not be used. ok? ok!! have fun. keep it to a dull roar and we will see you all on the field of honour, blood and guts. :)
Kharos
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Kharos »

Fair enough.