New Terrain

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Re: New Terrain

Post by EvilGuru »

Zarel wrote:A lot of people have asked for lighter, clearer, or bluer water, and I agree. However:

I've messed with the renderer and textures for a few hours (turns out glBlendFunc() isn't explained very well in most places), and I don't think it can look much better than it currently does without making the water renderer a lot more complex.
The best source on glBlendFunc is in the Red Book. Older copies can be found online.

Other than that you might want to look into a shader. See GPU Gems 1: Chapter 1. (Who said we couldn't use GLSL if it is available, it is not as if the current water is so bad it is untenable — I actually quite like it.)

Edit: It seems as if NVIDIA have been kind enough as to release GPU Gems and GPU Gems 2 for free online. The articles on water can be found here: http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGem ... _ch01.html and here: http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGem ... _ch02.html

Regards, Freddie.
Thraka
Greenhorn

Post by Thraka »

Just add a toggle in for turning on\off the new water so older machines don't need to worry about speed. If that is an issue I mean.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

EvilGuru wrote:The best source on glBlendFunc is in the Red Book. Older copies can be found online.

Other than that you might want to look into a shader. See GPU Gems 1: Chapter 1. (Who said we couldn't use GLSL if it is available, it is not as if the current water is so bad it is untenable — I actually quite like it.)
Oh, no, I eventually figured out how gtBlendFunc() works. It's not too bad once you figure it out, it's just figuring it out that takes a while.

I'm not really a 3D graphics guy, so if shaders are implemented, I wouldn't be the one to do it.
gerard_
Trained
Trained

Post by gerard_ »

I added multitexturing, so if you had any problems like flickering, please try if it is fixed now. If it was already working, test if it still does and admire the new FPS.

A windows build (provided by Giel) can be found here: http://download.gna.org/warzone/snapsho ... -debug.exe
Known issues:
* Fog looks weird (lighter tiles visible in the fog)
* For very large maps the skybox sometimes overlaps the map

P.S. To get the source: svn co svn://svn.gna.org/svn/warzone/branches/terrain
Last edited by Giel on 28 Nov 2008, 01:39, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: linkfix
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

I also reserve the tire track textures for me to remake, specifically.
Last edited by Zarel on 28 Nov 2008, 23:18, edited 1 time in total.
qubodup
Trained
Trained

Post by qubodup »

I would like to create new road textures and if any of you is able to provide photographs of roads from the top (from the window..) I'm looking for asphalt roads like this one.

So go to high places and make road photos and post them to burningwell.org :)

Zarel: Looking forward to your work!
Tymon
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tymon »

their are tons at http://www.cgtextures.com/

in case you can't find them road textures are here

http://www.cgtextures.com/textures.php?t=browse&q=1939

*their FAQ*

Can I use these textures for free?
Yes, the textures can be used for free in 2D or 3D computer graphics, movies, printed media, computer games and 3D models.
You are even allowed to bundle the textures with your 3D model or scene and sell it as a package.
You are not allowed to sell or redistribute the textures as a competing product, not even when you modify the images. So don't redistribute or sell textures by itself, as texture packs or as scrapbooking packs.
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

Which is where the problem lies.

The GPL (the license which we try to release as much content as possible under) does not allow such a restriction. Hence, by not allowing the individual redistribution of the textures it is impossible for the model to be released under the GPL (at least with textures).

Regards, Freddie.
gerard_
Trained
Trained

Post by gerard_ »

I just commited some new changes for the terrain branch. It now only draws part of the terrain. Please test if this speeds thinks up.
Zi-Chan
Trained
Trained

Post by Zi-Chan »

I want to try this Branch, but how to play it? I just downloaded it (and tried the debug.exe and the non-debug.exe), it doesn't start anything. Neither Campaign nor Skirmish (there it doesn't even show up the Preview of the Maps).

Campaign-Errors (the first three are expected, i would say. Setup couldn't download the Music: Error 404 - Not found):
error |000000002612: [seq_Play] unable to open 'sequences/titles.ogg' for playback
error |000000002612: [seq_Play] unable to open 'sequences/devastation.ogg' for playback
error |000000009292: [seq_Play] unable to open 'sequences/cam1/c001.ogg' for playback
error |000000009298: [rebuildSearchPath] Failed to remove path C:\Programme/data/\ again
error |000000009298: [rebuildSearchPath] Failed to remove path C:\Programme/share/warzone2100/\ again

Skirmish-Errors from the Map Sk-Startup (other Maps don't work too):
error |000000003312: [mapLoadGroundTypes] tileset not loaded
error |000000003312: [loadMapPreview] loadMapPreview: Failed to load map

And sometimes there are Messages about the Standard-Tilemaps not loaded. tertilesc3hw-32 and so on, not loaded. Tried with 128 too.
Yes, i only use 32 Pixel-Textures - complain to my Machine :...:

:|
:ninja:
gerard_
Trained
Trained

Post by gerard_ »

Zi-Chan wrote: Yes, i only use 32 Pixel-Textures - complain to my Machine :...:

:|
Some of the textures for the new terrain are 2048x2048. If your videocard does not support that, you could try resizing them. The textures are in data/base/texpages (probably in a .wz)
Zi-Chan
Trained
Trained

Post by Zi-Chan »

Yes, they are in the base.wz/texpages. I already checked them out - wanted to see, how big they are, coz it looks so nice, what you have done - and ye, they are huge for such small Tiles - no wonder. :) I can play with 128 too, but the FPS isn't that good then.

Might be, that my Graphics Solution doesn't support that Size - only 1024 maybe. I will try that and edit my Post about the possible Success. But if that works.. I will have to do that always again, when a new Patch comes out, or im using a new Trunk containing those Textures. :-S
I wonder, what the use of Textures bigger than 128 Pixels is, when the Game only supports 32, 64 and 128. Or does it automatically load bigger ones too, if 128 is selected? Or is that just to be prepared for the Future? I don't know, how it is at others, but at me, the Loading Times are much higher because of those Textures - well, might be my Graphics Solution too - it's only an Onboard-Thing.

Whatever - what you have done, is really great - it just looks like an entirely new Game. Really. Now to the Units and Buildings.. :D

EDIT: Doesn't work with resizing. I tried 1024 and 512. Both don't work. Always the same Error-Messages:
error |000000004381: [mapLoadGroundTypes] tileset not loaded
error |000000004381: [loadMapPreview] loadMapPreview: Failed to load map

warzone2100.RPT says:
Program: C:\Programme\Warzone 2100 Terrain\warzone2100.exeC:\Programme\Warzone 2100 Terrain\warzone2100.exe caused an Access Violation at location 0a8e1ae5 in module C:\WINDOWS\system32\iglicd32.dll Reading from location 00000000.
Call stack:
0A8E1AE5 C:\WINDOWS\system32\iglicd32.dll:0A8E1AE5 DrvSetLayerPaletteEntries

Looks like a File in my Windows-Folder causes the Problem? O_o

I refer to two of the Errors, which only occure, when i start a new Campaign:
error |000000009298: [rebuildSearchPath] Failed to remove path C:\Programme/data/\ again
error |000000009298: [rebuildSearchPath] Failed to remove path C:\Programme/share/warzone2100/\ again

There those other Errors with the Tileset, MapPreview ect. don't appear. It already quits with those data/share-Errors.

Something about the Textures of the Water: I agree with blue Water because of our Atmosphere. But keep in mind, that Water doesn't shine blue, if not enough Sun comes from the Sky. Because of Fog, because of Pollution in the Atmosphere, because of Thunderclouds and so on. The Water should reflect the current Image of the Skybox, which changes with the Tileset. Recommended is a new moving Texture over the Battlefield, instead of only a sidewise one.
:ninja:
Zoloom
Trained
Trained

Post by Zoloom »

Will these awesome improvements added to 2.1 release candidate 3 ?

Wonderful, simply huge XD
French helper / Assistant Français (envoyez moi des messages privés si vous cherchez des réponses en français (dans la limite de mes capacités)).

Xfire : zoloom

"Software is like sex, it's better when it's free"
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

Zoloom wrote:Will these awesome improvements added to 2.1 release candidate 3 ?

Wonderful, simply huge XD
no, definitely not, perhaps 2.2 or 2.3.. far away at the moment.. :gonk:

no new features in release candidate 3, only bugfixes, we aim towards a stable release people can play with, this has priority

regards elio
Zoloom
Trained
Trained

Post by Zoloom »

elio wrote:no, definitely not, perhaps 2.2 or 2.3.. far away at the moment.. :gonk:

no new features in release candidate 3, only bugfixes, we aim towards a stable release people can play with, this has priority

regards elio
Hum ok, i will be patient ^^ Thanks.

And...good luck !
French helper / Assistant Français (envoyez moi des messages privés si vous cherchez des réponses en français (dans la limite de mes capacités)).

Xfire : zoloom

"Software is like sex, it's better when it's free"