New Terrain

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Omikronman
Trained
Trained

Re: New Terrain

Post by Omikronman »

Hello Gerard_

I go two questions to the preview of the new terrain-renderer. Please answer it if you like. The Questions are:

"Does that make use of/require pixel shaders?"
"Are you using a blending method, or are there intermidiary textures?"

Cheers, themac
gerard_
Trained
Trained

Post by gerard_ »

Omikronman wrote: "Does that make use of/require pixel shaders?"
"Are you using a blending method, or are there intermidiary textures?"
1. The new terrain renderer (which is now in trunk btw) does not use pixel shaders.
2. The different terrain types are drawn using additive blending.
Serman
Trained
Trained

Post by Serman »

I do believe that the ground textures you're using were photographed from a person's perspective; as in, it kinda looks like Pikmin in the sense that the tanks and facilities are small in a normal sized world. For lack of better words, it just seems too "zoomed-in" (the texture, that is)
Omikronman
Trained
Trained

Post by Omikronman »

I don´t think so. In terms of roughness, the original textures looked similar. A rough mountain, however, does show a fractal-like structure. You can get very close or very far from view, but it will always look nearly the same!
gerard_
Trained
Trained

Post by gerard_ »

Serman wrote:I do believe that the ground textures you're using were photographed from a person's perspective; as in, it kinda looks like Pikmin in the sense that the tanks and facilities are small in a normal sized world. For lack of better words, it just seems too "zoomed-in" (the texture, that is)
You are right. it was very hard to find good textures so I had to go with some that were take from too close. Feel free to make better ones!
3drts
Trained
Trained

Post by 3drts »

What are the hardwar requirements?

WIll an iMac be able to handle it?

This game is so old that I figured anything you do to it will be easily handled, but loading up high enough res textures can make any machine gag
Omikronman
Trained
Trained

Post by Omikronman »

Yes, it runs very well on my alu iMac with ATI mobility radeon hd 2600 xt. Here you can download the compiled trunk for the Mac: http://themac.homeip.net/51808002/Mac_G ... ew_GFX.zip
Frankharkov
New user

Post by Frankharkov »

Ahhh, now all the vehicles and buildings look like toys :(

the textures should all atleast be 4 times smaller!

like those big gass fluffs? they should be as big as those grass fluffs in the original textures, as big as the green dots lol
Omikronman
Trained
Trained

Post by Omikronman »

Hey, after so many years with the old terrain graphics I am really happy to see this new ones where gerard_ made a great job with. I remember it was not easy for him to get free, decent textures. If you would make the textures four times smaller, they would not look as good as they do. Or you wold need to zoom in very very close.
guciomir
Trained
Trained

Post by guciomir »

Hello!
I love your work, it is awesome and beautiful. I remember playing warzone years ago, i bought the game that time but unfortunately lost the cd and now i found out that WZ became open source and that it is still being developed , great!
back to the topic, new graphic renderer looks very nice and i can't wait to see it in action.
1. Maybe you could provide us with some new screenshots?
2. will all maps be rendered in that new way (including campaign) or just the new created maps?
3. moreover i saw that you are creating ships, water etc. Would it be possible to remake or create some maps in the campaign so the new environment would be there?
4. will there be new areas? i mean there are 3 themes currently and it would be great so see some new
5. do you change graphic for the neutral buildings in the urban area? i remember they looked awful in the original game
6. asking about the release date is too much :( but could you give us some idea how much time do we need to wait for your great update? like "half a year", "about two months" etc, feel free to ignore this question
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

That's absolutely awesome.
When the New Structures mod under development by me and Elio is ready, Warzone 2100 will look like a Indie game like any other being released nowadays. Of course, it it too ambitious to say it matches large budget games like, let's say, EA's Command & Conquer to aim high, but it still looks awesome!
The best thing for a game is constant development, I think.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

whippersnapper wrote:.

prize for best looking water in an RTS - has to go to "Red Alert 3". :cool:

Hahahaha, a firend of mine said some time ago, after playing RA3 like a crazy son of a... crazy mother
"The water in Red Alert 3 looks perfect!(...)but it's annoying how you can just do anything on water in that game! It ruined the original balancing system in manners that it is a different type of Red Alert already, it's frustrating."

Sorry, off-topic but I've did it for the quote's sake! :D
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

HolyDragoon wrote:Something to do with Tiberium, I think?
F*** yeah TIBERIUM!!!!
LETS INSERT ALIENS ON WZ2100!!!!
:scream:

Ok, just kidding, don't look at me like that :(

xD
Omikronman
Trained
Trained

Post by Omikronman »

Hello Guciomir,

1. Maybe you could provide us with some new screenshots?
I made a HD video of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfVw8GDQ ... annel_page

2. Will all maps be rendered in that new way (including campaign) or just the new created maps?
AFAIK all terrains will be using the new renderer

3. Would it be possible to remake or create some maps in the campaign so the new environment would be there?
If the renderer is finished, it will AFAIK be in the champain too.

6. Could you give us some idea how much time do we need to wait for your great update?
Gerard told me that the new renderer is supposed to be probably released in Warzone 2.3.

Greets, Omikronman
Andrey
New user

Post by Andrey »

Hi all!!!! I'am Russian, bad talk on English Парни кто-нибудь подскажите как скачать эти новые текстуры??? Guys tell me how download this new render?

Translation: Hello, everyone. I'm Russian, so I do not speak English very well. Where do I download these terrain textures? Can someone tell me how to download this new renderer?