Auto Research Button

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
C01eMaN
Trained
Trained

Auto Research Button

Post by C01eMaN »

Hey WZR Team
I have an idea for the reasearch facilities
when ive been playing wz in campain mode i keep forgetting to research stuff i think an auto research button in the research facilities tab would be a good idea. by default it should be off tho because of power usage.
i think this would be rather usefull for skirmish play too

what do you think?

C01eMaN
Im Addicted To Warzone!!!!!!!
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Auto Research Button

Post by Kamaze »

I think a multi selection would be good. Like a queue.
We all have the same heaven, but not the same horizon.
Kushan
New user

Auto Research Button

Post by Kushan »

I was thinking this myself, actually. Auto-research might get in the way a little as some people would prefer to research certain things first, before others, but the idea of assigning one or two research buildings to auto research and having a spare one to research what you tell it to would be welcome.
C01eMaN
Trained
Trained

Auto Research Button

Post by C01eMaN »

Kushan wrote:I was thinking this myself, actually. Auto-research might get in the way a little as some people would prefer to research certain things first, before others, but the idea of assigning one or two research buildings to auto research and having a spare one to research what you tell it to would be welcome.
yes i think that would be a better idea
Troman
Trained
Trained

Auto Research Button

Post by Troman »

Not a bad idea I think, actually shouldn't be that hard to implement, but implementing the GUI (buttons for enabling\disabling auto-research) could be a bit problematic.
?topic=1617.0
C01eMaN
Trained
Trained

Auto Research Button

Post by C01eMaN »

i have no idea how to code
but one could learn... but am a bit thick so maybe i couldnt lol
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Auto Research Button

Post by DevUrandom »

I think we allready have research queues, but am not really sure about that.
I think I could once create a queue by pressing CTRL while clicking research items.
C01eMaN
Trained
Trained

Auto Research Button

Post by C01eMaN »

thats where some documentation could come in usefull lol

EDIT:

just tried using CTRL... it dosent work
ratarf
Trained
Trained

Re: Auto Research Button

Post by ratarf »

I like the queue idea... An auto-research button would change the gameplay, researching the right technologies would be a piece of cake. No need to know the tech-tree anymore. Also, you will have to code some sort of AI that determines what's the next tech to be researched (kinda hard...).

A queue of e.g. 5 technologies for each facility would work out better, with to add a tech.
Solitaire
Trained
Trained

Re: Auto Research Button

Post by Solitaire »

Vergil mentioned stuff along these lines, all the way back in the P-2 days... He went even further, and although the ideas are a very long way from even being feasible (currently at least) suggested setting up Commanders as separate mini-AI teams that you could allocate resources to and give some trucks and the use of an existing RL and let them go their merry way. At the most basic level they'd go to certain defined patrol areas setting up oil derricks+defenses and using "their" factory to auto-replace fallen squadmates, to the other side of the spectrum where they'd build their own outposts and everything. And all just a click away from changing priorities or reverting to your control...

Of course, that'd require a godly amount of AI- and GUI-work...

IMHO research queuing is a big gameplay ergonomics issue, and using the CTRL key to help implement might be less of a headache than modding the GUI itself...