Do you need an extra software ?

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Zoloom
Trained
Trained

Do you need an extra software ?

Post by Zoloom »

Hi,

I have some skills in C++ and wxWidgets, Gtkmm, Qt development and i want to help the project. I don't know if i have the skills in C to help the game engine, but maybe can i help you for an external program ?

I can maybe make a Warzone's config softwares for Linux (or multi-plateforms) ?

If you need some extra software than i can build with my skills please contact me.

Thanks.
French helper / Assistant Français (envoyez moi des messages privés si vous cherchez des réponses en français (dans la limite de mes capacités)).

Xfire : zoloom

"Software is like sex, it's better when it's free"
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Re: Do you need an extra software ?

Post by EvilGuru »

There is always something that needs to be done!

A while ago there was some talking about a Warzone Studio application, designed the simplify the process of modding Warzone and the like.

The relevant mailing list postings on it can be found here: http://www.mail-archive.com/warzone-dev ... 03633.html

The application was intended to be written in Qt — however due to time constraints afflicting many of the development team it never really came into fruition.

Helping to develop something along those lines (or anything that carries out any of the aforementioned tasks) would no doubt elate the development team and users alike.

Regards, Freddie.
Zoloom
Trained
Trained

Post by Zoloom »

Huh big one :) I hope i have the skills... :stressed:

It seems to be difficult because i don't know anything about .wz files, conversion or img models.

So i will need help if the project will be build :s

Here is my skills :

- C/C++ => 2-3 years (i learn alone, not at school)
- Python => 1 year
- wxWidgets => 2 years
- Qt => 6 months
- GTKmm => 6 months
- Blender => About one month (week level)

I thinked to a windowed warzone 2100 configuration (to start it in fullscreen mode for exemple)...but that's just an idea.
French helper / Assistant Français (envoyez moi des messages privés si vous cherchez des réponses en français (dans la limite de mes capacités)).

coolkid
Trained
Trained

Post by coolkid »

i would look through the guides then you should have a good ideal how to work on things
the largest wz steam community http://steamcommunity.com/groups/wz2100 (all welcome to join help find matches find new relese and recruit new players)
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

------------------------->

* You might find it very useful to have a look at Stratadrake's Warzone Customizer Kit Utility aka "WZCK" which you can run under Wine.

* http://www.angelfire.com/falcon/stratadrake/utils/

* Stratadrake is still around and if you ask him he'll give you the source as well.

* Stratadrake also created "Pie Slicer" and was the lead creative force of Mod v.1.12 which among many other things, introduced all mine technology to WZ game play.

- RV :)

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Zoloom
Trained
Trained

Post by Zoloom »

Woh you make me scary XD

Hum i'm not sure i have the skills to make this type of soft, i will look at the source code...but i don't think my skills are sufficient.

Hum have you an easiest project ?

Maybe i can make a soft in wxWidgets to replace the console's command for starting the game...interested ?

Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Zoloom wrote:Woh you make me scary XD

Hum i'm not sure i have the skills to make this type of soft, i will look at the source code...but i don't think my skills are sufficient.

Hum have you an easiest project ?

Maybe i can make a soft in wxWidgets to replace the console's command for starting the game...interested ?
You could always try and track down bugs. That is one way of getting to know the source code better. (Just check the bug tracker, and see if you can reproduce it, and finally, if you can, fix it. :))

You could also make a frontend to warzone if you like. It is up to you. It just needs to run on all platforms that we support. :)
Zoloom
Trained
Trained

Post by Zoloom »

Ok thanks i will check this out.

Zi-Chan
Trained
Trained

Post by Zi-Chan »

I don't know your skills, but how about an Auto-Update-Client? Would be nice to have one and i think, i can speak for the others here too.
It only checks the Version of the warzone2100.exe, downloads the new Patch, overwrite the old files and should make Backups of your Savegames. Oh and a "There's an Update available. Download and install? Yes or No"-Prompt of course. And maybe with a small Field containing the Change Log (before downloading, then People always see, why it's good to update) and a small Field displaying the News from the Website could be nice too. That would be it. Should not be that hard or?

Well, of course, this Patcher needs Access to those Files on the Server. Or it justs downloads the latest Setup, but that would be bit too much for a simple Patch, IMO. But since you only release new versions within weeks and months.. Mhh.. Whatever, downloading the full Setup would take some Time for Modem-Users. Though the Patcher could update single Files too, by checking their versions (or another File containing the Versions of all Files).
Last edited by Zi-Chan on 30 Aug 2008, 16:04, edited 9 times in total.
:ninja:
Zoloom
Trained
Trained

Post by Zoloom »

I started the front-end. I will check this out but i have to make different way to download and install wz, because of Windows, Linux, MacOS specifications.

coolkid
Trained
Trained

Post by coolkid »

i have been wanting a updater feature of some kind for sometime

also you zoloom you could start by making maps or simple mods to help you get familiar.
the largest wz steam community http://steamcommunity.com/groups/wz2100 (all welcome to join help find matches find new relese and recruit new players)
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

We could always need someone to work on the map editor, as well. A port to wxWidgets was started, but never finished. If you feel like porting it to Qt instead, I doubt anyone would mind.