Original Font Resurrected

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
doom3r
Regular
Regular

Original Font Resurrected

Post by doom3r »

As you may read in the title, I decided to make a True Type version of the original font.
I got the original font reference and I started working today at 10.00 A.M. (GMT +1). The work was finished at 10.00 PM, so that's a 12 hours work. I expected it to take more time, but I started to work faster after some hour. And it was quite funny with some background music :P
The font contains a total of 128 simple glyphs, and a lot of composite glyphs (= with diacritics) from lots of different languages (even something extremely useless like n or r with acute or "ring" accents). A dozen of secondary signs (like @, $, €) were taken from the Arial font because were particulary complex and would have required too much time to make them look good. Numbers are still missing (that's why the version is still 0.9) because they weren't in the reference. If necessary I will copy some font's numbers and put them here, otherwise I can make them myself. That reference was so small that I needed to use a 1:7000 scale which made the letters very pixelated so I had to imagine how some parts should look like.
The small "e" letter was a pain and after three tries it's still not looking that good. The rest seems to be ok, I suppose this can be used without problems in-game, except for numbers (shall I make them too?), and some really secondary composite letter.
You can see which are the missing glyphs in two of the screenshots, those are in grey.
I'll finish what's left soon, if needed [...still have to get back to the translation too... :stare: ]

Hope you like it!
wzfont2pg1.JPG
wzfont3pg2.JPG
Warzone2100 v0.90xx.rar
Last edited by doom3r on 29 Jul 2008, 23:02, edited 1 time in total.
Jimmbob
Trained
Trained

Re: Original Font Resurrected

Post by Jimmbob »

let me be the first to say a job well done! :D it will be good to see this put to use =)
they look great!
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Jimmbob wrote:let me be the first to say a job well done! :D it will be good to see this put to use =)
they look great!
Ditto!

Just remember, if you use another font that isn't GPL, or the license conflicts with what we have, then we can't use it. :(
doom3r
Regular
Regular

Post by doom3r »

Ok so I finally found where numbers were hiding. They were even smaller than letters, so they look even more pixelated. As you can see in the results they have a particular style as they look very pixelated, but I like those.
I could say the work is over, until I do a better "e", of course...
wzfont4-0.96.JPG
Warzone2100 v0.96.rar
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

Buginator wrote:Just remember, if you use another font that isn't GPL, or the license conflicts with what we have, then we can't use it. :(
This is an important question. B2Topic, this looks very good. But I'm more amazed due the fact, that we created http://wz2100.net/help-wanted yesterday.
We all have the same heaven, but not the same horizon.
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

Interesting Can you add a cyrilic support ?
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
doom3r
Regular
Regular

Post by doom3r »

we created http://wz2100.net/help-wanted yesterday.
Yeah, that's why I decided to do that yesterday, while I already had the idea to start working on the font (see viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1841&st=0&sk=t&sd=a). But I just thought we would have needed the font from the Wz logo, so that it didn't look too important to me. Also I would have done only a few letters ("warzone 2100").
In the meantime I was wondering why the original font wasn't anymore in the game... I only got it when I saw that "help wanted" thing, then I got to work.

About the usage of other fonts for some letter, I can imagine dejavu sans mono (the actual wz font) to be under GPL, right? If so, I could use that for missing characters, and to add cyrilic support (I don't have any reference for cyrilic so i could try to do those myself and see how it looks like or otherwise port letters from another font).
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Is that font you're creating a bitmap or a vector font?
doom3r
Regular
Regular

Post by doom3r »

Vector obviously, I guess another bitmap font wasn't needed
qwerty800
Trained
Trained

Post by qwerty800 »

doom3r wrote:Ok so I finally found where numbers were hiding. They were even smaller than letters, so they look even more pixelated. As you can see in the results they have a particular style as they look very pixelated, but I like those.
I could say the work is over, until I do a better "e", of course...
wzfont4-0.96.JPG
Warzone2100 v0.96.rar
What's wrong with thi "e"?

It looks nice!
I like it!

And... who will take time (in game) to examine every letters of every messages?

I say, it's perfect!
doom3r
Regular
Regular

Post by doom3r »

Thank you, qwerty...

In this update I removed the glyphs taken from Arial and used Dejavu font instead (also, they fit better with the rest of the font), while I made some of them myself. I am planning to make the others remaining too (maybe just 10) so that the font is complete. I still don't know if make glyphs for Cirillic or import them.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Very nice. The new font never fitted very well with the game, and it will be nice to see it with its original font again.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

doom3r wrote:Vector obviously, I guess another bitmap font wasn't needed
Just wanted to make sure, since I heard speculations it was not. ;)
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

ups :ninja: just saw this topic, amazing work :) i'm for put the font in the game
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

elio wrote:ups :ninja: just saw this topic, amazing work :) i'm for put the font in the game
Just waiting for the "finished" call. ;)
And for feature parity with Dejavu of course. :P
(joke, I do not expect that to happen soon.)