buildnotes?

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
jaywalker_eidos
Trained
Trained

buildnotes?

Post by jaywalker_eidos »

Hey there,

I am probably being really blind, but are there any buildnotes for each version released explaining fixes, known issues etc? oh i know theres the changelog for the beta 2, but i am meaning for the nightly builds :)

Oh yeh its my first post :), and my username IS accurate, i am the Jay Walker who was the lead tester on this project back in 1998 :)
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Re: buildnotes?

Post by EvilGuru »

For individual revisions you can look at the commit log, which can be found (among other places) here: https://trac.mortis.eu/warzone/timeline

Alternatively you could look at the bug tracker, here: https://gna.org/bugs/index.php?go_repor ... =1#options

Happy hunting.

Regards, Freddie.
Verminus
Trained
Trained

Post by Verminus »

Well EvilGuru Beet me to it and posted while i was typing up mine. Bu I do have this to add.

If you use subversion to checkout the latest sources you can use "svn log from your working directory to grab the subversion log.

Example: if your warzone source diretory is "~/src/warzone/" then in a terminal you would do something like this:

Code: Select all

cd ~/src/warzone
svn log
This would then start spewing the svn log out to the terminal, starting with the latest revision and working back to the first.
As this is not very helpful you can either redirect the output to a file, or use the "--limit=n" to get only the entries for the last n revisions.

To redirect output to a file named "svnlog.txt"

svn log > ./svnlog.txt
To get only the last 10 entries

svn log --limit=10
Also you can use the "-r" or "--revision" options to ask for a specific revision.

svn log --revision=5205
would get the change notes for r5205, -r/--revision also accept other arguments as well. type "svn help log" to see what they are.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Verminus wrote:Also you can use the "-r" or "--revision" options to ask for a specific revision.

svn log --revision=5205
would get the change notes for r5205, -r/--revision also accept other arguments as well. type "svn help log" to see what they are.
My variant:

cd warzone
svnversion
svn up
svn log -r${last svn version}:HEAD
svnversion is a command to spit out the current revision. You will replace ${last svn version} with its output.

Doing it this way also gets you the changes in chronological order, so you can easily read from top to bottom.
jaywalker_eidos
Trained
Trained

Sweet cheers.

Am so impressed this game still getting supported 10 years after its initial release :)
Verminus
Trained
Trained

Post by Verminus »

jaywalker_eidos wrote:Sweet cheers.

Am so impressed this game still getting supported 10 years after its initial release :)
Well to be fair it was abandoned by its original makers/publishers, then after a hard-fought campaign the source was released under the GPL allowing the community to pick it up and continue support and development. So there was a period where it was no longer supported at all.
jaywalker_eidos
Trained
Trained

Well i for one am glad its under GPL so can be continued.
Chojun
Regular
Regular

Post by Chojun »

Hello Jay,

Question: I take it you've been with Eidos since 1998, are you familiar with the (Eidos internal) circumstances surrounding the source release?
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Well to be fair it was abandoned by its original makers/publishers, then after a hard-fought campaign the source was released under the GPL allowing the community to pick it up and continue support and development. So there was a period where it was no longer supported at all.

* Well since I have been around almost as long as Jay I can answer this more accurately.

* Eidos disbanded Pumpkin in the Fall of 1999 for financial reasons... In the summer of 1999 I got permission from Pumpkin thru Alex McLean to support Warzone after Pumpkin was no more and that is how NEWST was born. NEWST recieved increadible support over that span from members of the Pumpkin Team even after they became Pivotal Games.

* Thru NEWST (which morphed after a few years into Pumpkin 2, then RTS.net and lastly WZ 2200...) WZ 2100 has been continuously supported over the course of almost 10 years. Never, never has it NOT been supported. Quite a few peeps besides myself have been part of that effort over 10 years (Troman being one of several still at it to this day) including spending years trying to get the source released with Alex.

* That's more accurate history.

- Regards, Rman. :D
jaywalker_eidos
Trained
Trained

Rman Virgil wrote:

* Well since I have been around almost as long as Jay I can answer this more accurately.

* Eidos disbanded Pumpkin in the Fall of 1999 for financial reasons... In the summer of 1999 I got permission from Pumpkin thru Alex McLean to support Warzone after Pumpkin was no more and that is how NEWST was born. NEWST recieved increadible support over that span from members of the Pumpkin Team even after they became Pivotal Games.

* Thru NEWST (which morphed after a few years into Pumpkin 2, then RTS.net and lastly WZ 2200...) WZ 2100 has been continuously supported over the course of almost 10 years. Never, never has it NOT been supported. Quite a few peeps besides myself have been part of that effort over 10 years (Troman being one of several still at it to this day) including spending years trying to get the source released with Alex.

I was gonna say i know a bit on the Eidos side, but not much on the community side :) Cool update :)
Chojun
Regular
Regular

Post by Chojun »

There is something uncanny about Warzone and its ability to draw people back into the game. It simply refuses to die..!

I joined NEWST in January of 2002 and can attest to RV's comments -- Not only was the game supported, but there was also a thriving fan and mod community surrounding it all the way up through the years.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Rman Virgil wrote:

10 years?
I take it you mean 'mods', since the source wasn't released for that long right?

It would be nice to get this data/fmv/whatever issue resolved with someone who can put us in touch with the correct people, then the community can benefit once again. :)

Then again, we are assuming it will all go the way we want... lets just hope it isn't a can of worms. :stressed:
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

10 years?
I take it you mean 'mods', since the source wasn't released for that long right?

It would be nice to get this data/fmv/whatever issue resolved with someone who can put us in touch with the correct people, then the community can benefit once again. :)

Then again, we are assuming it will all go the way we want... lets just hope it isn't a can of worms.
* Mods, utility tools, maps, a.i.s.... is what I meant.

* Resolving those issues is being worked on as we speak thanks to Jay.

* Hopefully we shall have some answers soon. :) I'm very excited by this new development with Eidos thru Jay's efforts. :D

- Cheers, RV :)
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

jaywalker_eidos wrote: I was gonna say i know a bit on the Eidos side, but not much on the community side :) Cool update :)
You know, I am more curious of the Eidos side of the story?
I mean, it isn't everyday that they would release source code to one of their games that they sold.
I know iD does this, but that is another story, and we know the motives behind iD's releases.
rush2049
Trained
Trained

Post by rush2049 »

I know I don't post much, but thats cause Rman and Coyote usually beat me to it.

I have also been around since NEWST, don't remember the month though I believe it was 2001 that I jumped aboard, I have been around since.

My insites into things arn't as helpful now, but back i nthe day I did graphical mods, new body types/propolsions/re-skins using the pie editor, so you can see why I am not as helpful now that mostly people are focussed upon the code base. But I am now attending Drexel University to be a Software Engineer, so soon I will help with that too, I just gatta find some free time.

This new development with Jay seems interesting... I am gunna check back more than usual now....