VTOLS

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Spaceman
Trained
Trained

VTOLS

Post by Spaceman »

Could someone please tell me why VTOLs are done based on attack runs? :'(
This makes a proper machinegun useless, if you mod one.
Why also can't I have 400 attack runs like I could in the last version. They could be fired like a machine gun. ???

And while I am on this, why is there such a big difference in ANTI-Aircraft damage and anti-tank. This makes it impossible to design descent VTOL weapons.

Also why are VTOL factories so slow? I thought we were trying to balance warzone not make it so tanks are the only way to go. They should be as fast as they factory counterparts.
Why also do VTOLs take so long to reload, it should be quick not slow?

Please tell me that their is a way to adjust damage from different weapon types and change the fact that they can only fire one. I can do the rest
My first impression was the beta was good, but now I prefer the last stable version
Troman
Trained
Trained

Re: VTOLS

Post by Troman »

Spaceman wrote: Why also can't I have 400 attack runs like I could in the last version.
Spaceman wrote: Also why are VTOL factories so slow? I thought we were trying to balance warzone not make it so tanks are the only way to go.
Spaceman wrote: My first impression was the beta was good, but now I prefer the last stable version

Congratulation, someone has finally caught the famous black cat from the dark room.  ;D
?topic=1617.0
Spaceman
Trained
Trained

Post by Spaceman »

What is that meant to mean?

You are telling me no-one else has noticed this.
Verminus
Trained
Trained

Post by Verminus »

Troman wrote:  

Congratulation, someone has finally caught the famous black cat from the dark room.  ;D
All right,  who let Troman out of his cage, AND forgot to give him his medication?
Arcalane
Trained
Trained

Post by Arcalane »

Spaceman wrote:And while I am on this, why is there such a big difference in ANTI-Aircraft damage and anti-tank. This makes it impossible to design descent VTOL weapons.
Just use VTOL Scourges (or Lancers/Tank-Killers if you haven't got Scourges yet). They're very powerful when fully upgraded. I expect they (and VTOL Bunker Busters) will be getting toned down a bit if VTOLs are getting buffed in other aspects, though.
Why also do VTOLs take so long to reload, it should be quick not slow?
I dunno, I have most VTOLs reloading fast enough that I can send them out on another attack run w/in 10 seconds of them landing. Mind you I start most games at T3, which means earlier researches are already done...

The only things that bug me are as stated the slow production times and incredibly (nay, obscenely) slow heavy bombers.
Troman
Trained
Trained

Post by Troman »

Spaceman wrote: What is that meant to mean?

You are telling me no-one else has noticed this.
No, those things have never been changed from what they used to be.
?topic=1617.0
Spaceman
Trained
Trained

Post by Spaceman »

Oh crap!!!

I think my perception has been altered. Let me rephrase "why are they like that then?"
But I am still certain that they were, perhaps I was daydreaming

Wait a minute I know they have been changed I can see it in the txt file before the last edit date was 2005, this version has changed to 2007 (depends on which version you look at, beta 1 I think)
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

the damage system is a little antiquated now, yeah. but the average processor may not be up to the point of being able to handle the next step up in this engine (or perhaps any other).

indeed, many tanks have fallen at the hands of anti-air cannons, which, when used correctly, are merciless weapons against all foes, though still quite vulnerable.

otoh, aircraft cannons are generally never like the ones used on the ground -- a high rate of fire is generally necessitated, but also the caliber of the projectile doesn't matter as much since anti-tank aircraft go after the top armor.
Spaceman
Trained
Trained

Post by Spaceman »

There is your problem, the top armor of tanks in warzone is as much as the front, side or back. To be honest the cannon does not have a high rate of fire? Reloading all the time. Even if it did have the ammo, the one shot per run destroys it chances

I tried to rectify this using realism mod (specifically body.txt)
Verminus
Trained
Trained

Post by Verminus »

The thing is the devs have only just started rebalancing the the units in  warzone, and if I remember correctly, in 2.0.x units didn't even have front, side, back, top or bottom armor, just one armor value for the whole unit, quote from the wiki
(*) SVN data only in 2.0.x there is only one kinetic armor field and one thermal armor field. Note:To make 2.0.x body.txt compatible with SVN, you need to duplicate the kinetic armor and the thermal armor fields 5 times to cope with SVN's 6 hit sides(front, rear, left, right, top, bottom) changes.
So while they may not have yet got around to actually making the armor vary between the front, back, sides, ect, they have added the ability to do so. Just because they haven't got around to addressing the VTOLs yet, dosn't mean they won't or arn't planning to anytime soon, just that they have more pressing things to deal with, at the moment there busy fixing bugs in the beta and balancing the T1 weapons, (and doing a good job).

The reason VTOLs may seem to be less effective than before is because they haven't been updated... yet.
remember beta is just that beta, new ideas and ways of doing things are being tried and tested, if it works and improves the game it stays, if it doesn't then it is modified and/or removed.

At some point in the near future the VTOLs will probably receive the same treatment that is currently bieing given to tanks, you just have to wait a little longer
psychopompos
Trained
Trained

Post by psychopompos »

Arcalane wrote: ~~ slow production times and incredibly (nay, obscenely) slow heavy bombers.
arent the vtols slow to produce as side effect of high cost?
and the bombers... pointless things, if they manage to get past aa by means of going in reverse for extra speed, either the bunker buster or TK/scourge does the job better anyway, and with fewer losses

Verminus wrote: remember beta is just that beta, new ideas and ways of doing things are being tried and tested, if it works and improves the game it stays, if it doesn't then it is modified and/or removed.

At some point in the near future the VTOLs will probably receive the same treatment that is currently bieing given to tanks, you just have to wait a little longer
case & point of why im still muckin about in 2.0.10
MOTHERBOARD - MSI P7N PLATINUM¦-¦PROCESSOR - C2D E7300 @ 4.00GHZ
MEMORY - 4 Gig (2x2gig) ddr2 1066mhz¦-¦OPERATING SYSTEM - WINDOWS 7 (ULT)
GRAPHICS - BFG GTX 260 OCX (requires ForceWare drivers for good openGL)
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

psychopompos wrote: arent the vtols slow to produce as side effect of high cost?
and the bombers... pointless things, if they manage to get past aa by means of going in reverse for extra speed, either the bunker buster or TK/scourge does the job better anyway, and with fewer losses
not necessarily. high production time and high production cost are two but not always relatively equivalent stages -- even the cheapest unit takes a very long time if you're out of energy, which might be the case when you're producing vtols.