Brazilian portuguese translation

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Tucalipe
Trained
Trained

Brazilian portuguese translation

Post by Tucalipe »

I can translate Wz2100 to Brazilian Portuguese. Just give me strings' files and etc, and I'm ready to begin.
Last edited by DevUrandom on 18 Apr 2008, 20:07, edited 1 time in total.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Re: BR Portuguese Translation

Post by DevUrandom »

:)

You may want to take a look at the notes and comments made so far in the French translation thread.
Attachments

[The extension po has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Tucalipe
Trained
Trained

Post by Tucalipe »

So, essentially, I'll have to use PoEdit to translate the strings, without using any accented characters, including ç, and keeping the same order on the % chars. :)
Good. I'm starting right now!

BTW, with the Rookie, Green, Regular, etc... can I use army designations, 'cause in portuguese (even their adequate translations a.k.a. non-literal) they make no sense.
Also, what's the Mayhem game style?
And finally, there are some english words that aren't always translated, thus known by everyone here, such as Multiplayer, Chat, etc... Should I translate them as well?
Last edited by Tucalipe on 18 Mar 2008, 04:28, edited 1 time in total.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Tucalipe wrote: So, essentially, I'll have to use PoEdit to translate the strings, without using any accented characters, including ç, and keeping the same order on the % chars. :)
Good. I'm starting right now!
You can use any texteditor which is capable of dealing with UTF-8. Any modern editor should do, like ConText, Notepad2 or Notepad++.

And you may use accented characters, too. In fact that is why we use Unicode (in the form of UTF-8). :)
Tucalipe wrote: BTW, with the Rookie, Green, Regular, etc... can I use army designations, 'cause in portuguese (even their adequate translations a.k.a. non-literal) they make no sense.
Those are army ranks, yes.
Just take care: For green, there exist two variants. One for the colour and one for the rank. Each is marked with an own context. (Poedit will show it as such, in the texteditor, they have an additional msgctx line.)
Tucalipe wrote: Also, what's the Mayhem game style?
And finally, there are some english words that aren't always translated, thus known by everyone here, such as Multiplayer, Chat, etc... Should I translate them as well?
When using a portugese word instead would sound stupid, you have never seen it in a translated game before, or you fear it could be less well understood than the english original, then you should use the english name.

I.e. I remember once reading in a popular, free, turn-based strategy game the phrase "heißer Stuhl"... Took me a bit till I figured out that they literally translated "hotseat", the game mode. ;)

This depends very much on the language, I think. In case you are unsure, you better ask other portugesian people instead of us. ;)
Just take care not to only ask pro-gamers, developers and such, they might be biased. ;)
Tucalipe wrote: Oops...

I can still save the *.po file, but I concerned whether it will still work in-game...
I assume you wrote %U in the translation instead of %u, like in the original "Own Units: %u".
I can only tell for sure though, if you give me line 806 (and the surrounding lines) of the pt.po file.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

DevUrandom wrote: :)

You may want to take a look at the notes and comments made so far in the French translation thread.
May I suggest you make a new thread "Translation FAQ"  and then sticky it?

Then all the info for all languages can be in one easy to find place. :)
and it ends here.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Re: "Translation FAQ"...aka old Brazilian portugese thread..

Post by lav_coyote25 »

took this and did that ---  will make it sticky as well.
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

I would instead have suggested making a wiki page from the info in the French Translation thread... (Possibly adding info from this one.)
Tucalipe
Trained
Trained

Post by Tucalipe »

Understood. But what's the mayhem game style?
Also, at least in Brazilian Portuguese, some words like the mentioned (Multiplayer and Chat) are easily understood by everyone, so I won't translate them.

About that error, I just started over. I had only translated 1% at that time :)

BTW, who should I translate project names, like "Machinegun Viper Wheels"? Should I translate them in the same order, or can I translate in direct order in portuguese, which should be something like "Viper Wheels Machinegun". Also should I translate the reptile/insect/feline/vengeance body names?
As well some of the weapon's names, like Gauss Cannon and Ground-Shaker, which actually do have their portuguese counterparts, as well VTOL (which I don't think everyone here, in Brazil, actually knows what means):)

At last, is there a way to check the translated string in-game, to see if they make sense in-context?

Although it says 49% complete, in my POV I would say it's only 25% complete, for I still need/want to check the string in-game/in-context.
Attachments

Last edited by Tucalipe on 20 Mar 2008, 00:06, edited 1 time in total.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Tucalipe wrote: BTW, who should I translate project names, like "Machinegun Viper Wheels"? Should I translate them in the same order, or can I translate in direct order in portuguese, which should be something like "Viper Wheels Machinegun". Also should I translate the reptile/insect/feline/vengeance body names?
As well some of the weapon's names, like Gauss Cannon and Ground-Shaker, which actually do have their portuguese counterparts, as well VTOL (which I don't think everyone here, in Brazil, actually knows what means):)
You can do it in any order you like. The only things which have to stay in the original order are the % tokens.
Tucalipe wrote: At last, is there a way to check the translated string in-game, to see if they make sense in-context?
1. In Poedit, under Edit->Settings->Editor, you need to enable "automatically compile .mo file on save".

2. Now save the translation .po file. In the same folder you should now find a compiled .mo file.

3.a. Windows: Copy that .mo file to C:\Path\To\WZ\locale\pt\LC_MESSAGES\warzone2100.mo (You may have to create the folders after "locale".)
3.b. Linux: Copy that .mo file to /usr/share/locale/pt/LC_MESSAGES/warzone2100.mo

4.a. Portugese Windows: Starting Warzone should already display your translation
4.b. Other Windows: Open cmd.exe and type:

Code: Select all

cd C:\Path\To\WZ
set LANG=pt
warzone2100.exe
4.c. Linux: Open a terminal and type:

LANG=pt_PT.UTF-8 warzone2100
Tucalipe
Trained
Trained

Post by Tucalipe »

There's a string that doesn't appear on POEdit:
"Video Options", from Options' Menu. :(

Also what is NEXUS Link that looks like a CB Sensor Turret?
And whats the context for "Power Accrued", as well the "Rewards" (lines 731 to 800)?
And what about those jump cyborgs, i've never seen before :-[. What are they? Same about the [insert propulsion here] II/III. I've never seen that (at least in the original game...)
Actually, there are a number of strings that don't appear in-game, not even in the debug menu, such as Mortar Emplacement...
Do you have a list of the strings currently not used so I don't have to go through the whloe game again and again trying to find strings that don't exist?

PS.: Although it says 74% complete, I'd say it's 49% complete... And yes, I'm aware of some glitches like "5nidades designadas", where should be "5 unidades desginadas".
Attachments

Last edited by Tucalipe on 21 Mar 2008, 04:58, edited 1 time in total.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Commited to svn in r4189. Please download from svn before continuing, to keep them in sync.

Nexus link: No clue

Power accrued:

//if not started building show how much power accrued
//set the colour of the bar to green
Seems this is what happens before the actual build process (yellow bar) starts. The power to build has to be gathered.

Rewards:
I am not really sure, but it seems like those rewards are the little green boxes you get when destroying an enemy building.

Jump cyborgs: Have been taken out of the game by Pumpkin.
MkII / MkIII propulsions: Don't know, but I assume they were taken out of the game.
Tucalipe
Trained
Trained

Post by Tucalipe »

Here it is... It's 100% translated. I'll start cheking them in-game now.

PS. Although there are some strings that don't appear in-game, I translated them as well, for someone could make a mod that uses them.
Crap... For some reason the game exits to desktop at the "Structure Limits" section... Could u check that please? I'm afraid it has something to do with the translation :(
PS.: Actually... It happens whenever I try to start a MPlayer game...
Also, the rankings don't appear in-game, only at the end-of-mission stats.
Attachments

Last edited by Tucalipe on 22 Mar 2008, 02:36, edited 1 time in total.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

It has something to do with the translation, though I do not yet know what.
I don't think your translation is wrong.

Opened bug #11345.
Last edited by DevUrandom on 22 Mar 2008, 02:40, edited 1 time in total.
Tucalipe
Trained
Trained

Post by Tucalipe »

Strange thing is, if I just change one letter it doesn't locks up...
Actually there IS two strings that look like each other:
11698 - Pyhton Tracks Heavy Cannon
3614 - Python Heavy Cannon Tracks
I think that there may be a reason there are different strings meaning the same thing... So it actually may be my fault :-[

Do you think the translation can also be responsible for these bugs:

?topic=1545.0
Last edited by Tucalipe on 22 Mar 2008, 02:54, edited 1 time in total.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Dont think translation is responsible for that.
Tucalipe wrote: Strange thing is, if I just change one letter it doesn't locks up...
Which letter?