Warzone2100 4.0.0 Design from scratch for future processors.

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
moltengear
Trained
Trained

Re: Warzone2100 4.0.0 Design from scratch for future process

Post by moltengear »

if you recommend from scratch, maybe (while we are at it) we can design it to work on ps4? cause WZ2100 4.0 would probably be pretty big on ps4 :) :) :)
Yet the main goal is achieved. This is the support of a very old game on popular equipment today. If we also want to support the trend of energy efficiency, it's wise to pay attention to mobile processors.

Personally, I really like the Godot engine. https://godotengine.org/
It seems to me that this fits in well with our concept of game development.
Simplicity, lightness. It is a pity that there is no good support for the clang compiler and the syntax of javascript.
What opportunities can there be?
There is no need to write and maintain a graphics engine. Developers use the same development environment no matter which operating system they use. I hope that support will be realized.
moltengear
Trained
Trained

Post by moltengear »

I was able to compile gedotengine. Hmm, how to get out the graphics engine!
moltengear
Trained
Trained

Post by moltengear »

Several times I heard the idea of support for the audience.
Players could easily move where they would like to be.
I drew about how it might look.
new idea.jpg
It would also be nice if the map had the code for placing the GUI elements using javascript.
The changes would concern the interface in the room where the players gather.
Nuclear GUI can help.
Then the host would receive additional settings.
This would reduce the need to update the version.
WZ2100ModsFAn
Trained
Trained

Post by WZ2100ModsFAn »

Forgon wrote:
Guardsman Brendo wrote:Honestly, I don't have too much knowledge of when they were in the game. Though I've played the game for a while, I havent played for as long as some of the vets out there. Maybe one of them could help us out on this?
Black Project included jump cyborgs in his nostalgia mod and described them in this forum thread:
Black Project wrote: [...] Cyborg Jump Pack: Cyborg that jumps, but only implemented in 1.11. If moving, only AA can shoot them. If you have dozens of HC Python Tracks and they spot about 10 Scourge Cyborgs moving, your tanks will be doomed to their deaths because they can't shoot them while the Jump Cyborgs are moving, only if they stop moving. Same apply to bases which have tons of defense but no AA stuff. Removed in 1.12 due to balance reasons.

Jump Cyborgs Available:

Jump Bunker Blaster
Jump Heavy Gunner
Jump Lancer
Jump Assault Gunner
Jump Needle Gunner
Jump Scourge
Jump Flashlight Gunner
[...]
Jump cyborgs were completely removed off game.

Hopefully they will be re added in the next release.

They were removed by Per in this commit https://github.com/Warzone2100/warzone2 ... feab55e182
moltengear wrote:Several times I heard the idea of support for the audience.
Players could easily move where they would like to be.
I drew about how it might look.
new idea.jpg
Doing a good job keep up the good work.
moltengear
Trained
Trained

Post by moltengear »

it would be good if we create a map editor in the language with C++. The game and the map editor use the same code.
This is important when developing the game engine. For the map editor to support new features as soon as possible.
And also to embed the editor in the game in the future.
For example, increasing the maximum card height by half. You just need an additional file that specifies the height value.
I drew a rough outline.
for redactor.png
The color value is automatically multiplied by two. Then increment is applied. Zero or one.
This may be the next version of the maps.
Of course, the importance of bridges increases. This will add different tactics. For example, cyborgs can hide from the raid of bombers.

I drew what it might look like.
bridge.jpg
Most likely, we need to rewrite the collision detection function, as well as the physics.
It is important to first lay out all the ideas. Many ideas have already been repeatedly offered here on the forum.
This will help formulate a roadmap for development.
moltengear
Trained
Trained

Re: Warzone2100 4.0.0 Design from scratch for future processors.

Post by moltengear »

We have a very powerful text library. In practice, the game has such features as professional programs such as a browser, LibreOffice, openOffice, Visual Studio.
As you know, the new developer begins his acquaintance with the compilation of the project. I noticed that the project requires a very large number of dependencies. That's horrible! Due to the fact that I could not compile one dependency as a static library, I had to include a large number of dynamic libraries.
I propose to develop a simple text library. This library will use only simple symbols, but not ancient hieroglyphs since the Middle Ages.
Such symbols that have a simple composition in languages such as English, Spanish, German, Cyrillic.
This is important in terms of performance. Also for Raspberry Pi. I already spent on buying Raspberry Pi recently.
It is important to divide the project into two versions. The first basic version uses a fast simple library. The second is for all languages only for a successful release.
1) Warzone2100 4.0.0 (github.com, master, also SourceForge.com)
2) Warzone2100 4.0.0 Multilanguage (SourceForge.com, Multilanguage lib in github)
pastdue
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by pastdue »

moltengear wrote: 26 Nov 2018, 09:41 We have a very powerful text library.

[...]

I propose to develop a simple text library.

[...]

This is important in terms of performance. Also for Raspberry Pi. I already spent on buying Raspberry Pi recently.
I would strongly encourage you to profile the game. I have not seen any such impact from text processing when profiling on multiple systems (using the current master branch). 3.2.x versions did have bottlenecks caused by text rendering, but those have almost all been fixed in the current development versions. If you find example cases that lead to noticeable performance impact, let us know so they can be fixed.

-----

If we can, let's step back for a second.

I'm very much on-board with the idea of trying to make the game easier to build from scratch - that's a big part of the work I've been doing with the CMake build setup.

If you're using the CMake build setup, you should already be able to compile without generating all the language files (you'll just get a warning), if that's what you're after.

If you can provide more details on the compilation / linking issues you are encountering (including what OS, compiler, etc), we can look into it.
moltengear
Trained
Trained

Post by moltengear »

But this is interesting. CMake used to build now.
How do I get project files for a visual studio?
I wrote a python script for getting and compiling dependencies.
Attachments
get-dependencies_win.zip
(524 Bytes) Downloaded 157 times
pastdue
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by pastdue »

moltengear wrote: 05 Dec 2018, 17:36 But this is interesting. CMake used to build now.
How do I get project files for a visual studio?
I wrote a python script for getting and compiling dependencies.
Please see the README.md: https://github.com/Warzone2100/warzone2 ... using-msvc

(There's already a script to get and compile all dependencies on Windows.)
moltengear
Trained
Trained

Post by moltengear »

Code: Select all

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:608 (add_subdirectory):
  add_subdirectory given source "3rdparty/miniupnp/miniupnpc" which is not an
  existing directory.

CMake Error at 3rdparty/CMakeLists.txt:5 (add_subdirectory):
  The source directory

C:/Users/Master/Downloads/warzone2100-master/warzone2100-master/3rdparty/utf8proc

does not contain a CMakeLists.txt file.

Could NOT find ZLIB (missing: ZLIB_LIBRARY ZLIB_INCLUDE_DIR) 
CMake Error at vcpkg/downloads/tools/cmake-3.12.4-windows/cmake-3.12.4-win32-x86/share/cmake-3.12/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:137 (message):
  Could NOT find PNG (missing: PNG_LIBRARY PNG_PNG_INCLUDE_DIR) (Required is
  at least version "1.2")
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  vcpkg/downloads/tools/cmake-3.12.4-windows/cmake-3.12.4-win32-x86/share/cmake-3.12/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:378 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
  vcpkg/downloads/tools/cmake-3.12.4-windows/cmake-3.12.4-win32-x86/share/cmake-3.12/Modules/FindPNG.cmake:142 (find_package_handle_standard_args)
  lib/ivis_opengl/CMakeLists.txt:44 (find_package)
Surprise!
moltengear
Trained
Trained

Post by moltengear »

pastdue wrote: 05 Dec 2018, 21:15 (There's already a script to get and compile all dependencies on Windows.)
I have written the script does not require pre-installation of the Git program.
pastdue
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by pastdue »

moltengear wrote: 07 Dec 2018, 15:54

Code: Select all

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:608 (add_subdirectory):
  add_subdirectory given source "3rdparty/miniupnp/miniupnpc" which is not an
  existing directory.

CMake Error at 3rdparty/CMakeLists.txt:5 (add_subdirectory):
  The source directory

C:/Users/Master/Downloads/warzone2100-master/warzone2100-master/3rdparty/utf8proc

does not contain a CMakeLists.txt file.

Could NOT find ZLIB (missing: ZLIB_LIBRARY ZLIB_INCLUDE_DIR) 
CMake Error at vcpkg/downloads/tools/cmake-3.12.4-windows/cmake-3.12.4-win32-x86/share/cmake-3.12/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:137 (message):
  Could NOT find PNG (missing: PNG_LIBRARY PNG_PNG_INCLUDE_DIR) (Required is
  at least version "1.2")
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  vcpkg/downloads/tools/cmake-3.12.4-windows/cmake-3.12.4-win32-x86/share/cmake-3.12/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:378 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
  vcpkg/downloads/tools/cmake-3.12.4-windows/cmake-3.12.4-win32-x86/share/cmake-3.12/Modules/FindPNG.cmake:142 (find_package_handle_standard_args)
  lib/ivis_opengl/CMakeLists.txt:44 (find_package)
Surprise!
Please read the whole "How to Build" section in the README.md.

You need to init Git submodules.

moltengear wrote: 07 Dec 2018, 15:59
pastdue wrote: 05 Dec 2018, 21:15 (There's already a script to get and compile all dependencies on Windows.)
I have written the script does not require pre-installation of the Git program.
But Git *is* required for various parts of the build process.

And your script requires Python (which we don't require for anything else, and is often a separate install as well).
Forgon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Forgon »

pastdue wrote: 05 Dec 2018, 21:15 [...] And your script requires Python (which we don't require for anything else, and is often a separate install as well).
We do use Python scripts, but only to update translations and for a few specialized tools.
pastdue
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by pastdue »

Forgon wrote: 07 Dec 2018, 21:44
pastdue wrote: 05 Dec 2018, 21:15 [...] And your script requires Python (which we don't require for anything else, and is often a separate install as well).
We do use Python scripts, but only to update translations and for a few specialized tools.
Indeed. To clarify: We don't require Python for the regular WZ build process.
moltengear
Trained
Trained

Post by moltengear »

Sorry, but can I just get the project files for Visual Studio. I do not want to engage in CMake now.