Features planned for 2.1 and 2.2 ?

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Kayiaxo
Trained
Trained

Features planned for 2.1 and 2.2 ?

Post by Kayiaxo »

I was wondering what features where planned to be released in wrp 2.1 and 2.2
A lot of stuff has been discussed and some things go to 2.1, others got pushed into 2.2

Also will 2.0 contine to be updated for bugs or will support on it drop when 2.1 is out ?
Credits to Kacen for making the image.
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Re: Features planned for 2.1 and 2.2 ?

Post by EvilGuru »

First of all I would like to make it clear that I am not the release manager for Warzone, he is far more sociable than myself. So nothing I say is official per-se.

For 2.1 the big features which I have worked on are:
  • Partial kills system; in short this means experience is rewarded for doing damage to units as opposed to killing them. Search around on the forums for some discussion/work on it.
  • Support for a video options menu. This (finally) makes it possible to configure the screen resolution/fullscreen or not from within Warzone. No command line flags or config files required!
  • The ability to keep the cursor trapped inside of the window while the game is in play. For those who play in windowed mode this should make the game a lot more usable.
  • Re-written netcode, that is cross-platform (32- and 64-bit clean irrespective of endianness). In testing this has been more stable (droids no longer blow up randomly).
However, a lot more has changed (and is still changing) in 2.1

For 2.2 my plans are:
  • To move the network over to a client-server system. This is slightly different from a 'dedicated' server, as the player acting as the server will also be a player. The big advantage here is that cheating will be made a lot harder.
  • To re-write the lobby server system so that it is more flexible, can perform version checking, updating it so that it is linked in with the forum (allowing for tournament games). This should bring it up to the same level as most commercial games.
  • Possible re-implementation of VoIP (it featured in 1.10 over the IPX protocol) to allow for in-game communication. This will use UDP and the speex codec with OpenAL for input.
  • Depending on how the work with lua goes I may or may not get a chance to implement commander scripts, although I will no doubt tweak the experience system some more.
Overall I believe the focus of 2.2 is to make the game more modder friendly, with a new toolset among other things.

As for 2.0 support, I am unsure there. I think if enough people are still using it and none of the problems are 'major' (read: require a lot of time/effort to fix) then I see no reason why it will not continue to be supported.

Regards, Freddie.
doom3r
Regular
Regular

Post by doom3r »

Wow, 2.1 will rock! Especially for the rewritten netcode and the video options menu, finally.
HCN-Trooper
Trained
Trained

Post by HCN-Trooper »

and how about the Multible turrets on certain bodies? that would be featured in 2.1 right?
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/warzone/trun ... iew=markup

Maybe not really up to date, and maybe some things will be excluded.
We all have the same heaven, but not the same horizon.
doom3r
Regular
Regular

Post by doom3r »

mmm i think multiple turrets will change the gameplay a LOT.
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

doom3r wrote: mmm i think multiple turrets will change the gameplay a LOT.
In their current state this seems quite unlikely. Since only the three largest bodies can support multiple turrets it will only affect late T3 games.

This may well change, however, if a means of fitting several turrets on a single droid can be devised

Regards, Freddie.
doom3r
Regular
Regular

Post by doom3r »

the three largest bodies

Does this mean multiple turrets cannot be placed on a body like Phyton?
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

doom3r wrote: Does this mean multiple turrets cannot be placed on a body like Phyton?
Correct.
We all have the same heaven, but not the same horizon.
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

doom3r wrote: mmm i think multiple turrets will change the gameplay a LOT.
I realy hope that this feature could be switchable I mean could be turned off\on. < This will be the best.
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Terminator wrote: I realy hope that this feature could be switchable I mean could be turned off\on. < This will be the best.
It can easily be turned off by a mod. I also think that unless we manage to improve it quite a bit before release, it will be disabled by default. Right now it is too easy to create multiweapon droids that look very bad.
"Make a man a fire, you keep him warm for a day. Set a man on fire, you keep him warm for the rest of his life."
doom3r
Regular
Regular

Post by doom3r »

I realy hope that this feature could be switchable I mean could be turned off\on. < This will be the best.
same here
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Also keep in mind that while the release of 2.1 is more stable (IMO) than the 2.0.x, it will not magically fix all the outstanding issues.

Yes, the newer netcode should allow for windows vs linux vs mac vs whatever else is out that, that can compile & run wz  games, but it still has some kinks in it like the previous version.

Having all the patches installed, didn't fix many issues we still have, and for that, looks like it might be a logic bug that crept in someplace, or it could be something that was overlooked.

I do know that we have to come up with a way to keep all machines in check with each other.
By that I mean if host is running 100fps, and we got clients running something slower or faster, we are going to have some issues.
and it ends here.
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

Buginator wrote: but it still has some kinks in it like the previous version.
Some kinks ? what that ?
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Terminator wrote: Some kinks ? what that ?
Problems

Eg. as Buggy said, one of the main problems is to syncronise between 2 hosts which run at different speeds.
See the Wiki page on network-code for details.
Last edited by DevUrandom on 10 Jan 2008, 16:52, edited 1 time in total.