Petition to reinstate Guard, Persue and Hold orders!

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.

Should the Guard Position & Pursue Orders be brought back?

Yes
94%
No
6%

Total votes: 79

Berg
Regular
Regular

Re: Petition to reinstate Guard, Persue and Hold orders!

Post by Berg »

Neovita wrote: 23 Mar 2019, 19:35 Every time you switch the state of a secondary command using interface buttons (e.g from Persure to Guard or from Hold to Guard) the ongoing executed order like "attack that guy over there" or "move there" or even a queue of movement orders (using shift) is getting cancelled and the units execute the "Stop" command once.
I dont think this is new behavour for unit orders i think this was introduced maybe before when the orders was taken out for i used to be able to tell a truck to built something like a derrick and then give it away it used tom continue to build the derrick but in the new player colour this no longer works or send a mess of tanks to a spot and give them away they would continue to that spot but not now in 3.3.0beta1
I think this is not unit order related its and error introduced before
Neovita
New user

Post by Neovita »

Berg, you might be right about that. I were way to long away from the WZ scene, to be able to say that for sure =) Still working myself trough all the changes and some of the commits since version 2.3 wich will take some time ofc :(
LezzoMazonn
Greenhorn

Post by LezzoMazonn »

I can't understand why they have been removed, it's not true they never worked. Don't know about multiplayer, but in the campaing they worked for sure.
It's a pain to micromanage your troops because mortars keep running forward into enemy base because enemy retreated back to base.
Is there a button for it? Please tell me there is one
pastdue
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by pastdue »

The good news is that Guard, Persue and Hold ("secondary unit orders") are on track to return for 3.3.0_beta2, which will hopefully be out soon-ish.
LezzoMazonn
Greenhorn

Post by LezzoMazonn »

That's really good to hear, thank you for the news!
jsmith42690
New user

Post by jsmith42690 »

Generally I try to stay out of stuff like this and simply enjoy the game. Warzone 2100 means a lot to me, because it was literally the second game I ever played, via the Demo made available to owners of different PS1 games.

I was excited to know that this game was made open source and has been improved upon.

However, I'm not at all pleased by the state of unit behavior in this current release of the game. I have read through several pages of this petition and I am shocked and appalled by the logic with which unit orders have been removed and not replaced.

I like to consider myself a smarter person than my 12 year old self, and yet, I cannot finish alpha campaign I used to have no problem finishing, because the final mission is rendered ridiculously, hilariously, unplayable because you can't get your units to SIT STILL and NOT CHASE the endlessly resupplied NP attackers that hit you and retreat, while you build up your forces from the LZ.

I can spam the S key all I like, my units will not stop pursuing enemies that come into range and then retreat.

I understand that this is a very old topic, but I am speaking up because I love this game, I do not generally participate in forum politics. I come now to tell you that, for me, this game is now unplayable, at least until I can figure out how to get my hands on an older version with the old commands intact.
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Berserk Cyborg »

Secondary orders have been restored, with less buggy behavior, and will be present again in the upcoming 3.3.0 beta2 release. The real reason why units are constantly chasing things around is because primary guard was being overridden by an attacking/observe order when close enough to enemy objects. This was fixed as well.

If you want you can try out a development build until then: https://github.com/Warzone2100/warzone2 ... ent-builds.
WZ2100ModsFAn
Trained
Trained

Post by WZ2100ModsFAn »

Berserk Cyborg wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 01:12 Secondary orders have been restored, with less buggy behavior, and will be present again in the upcoming 3.3.0 beta2 release. The real reason why units are constantly chasing things around is because primary guard was being overridden by an attacking/observe order when close enough to enemy objects. This was fixed as well.

If you want you can try out a development build until then: https://github.com/Warzone2100/warzone2 ... ent-builds.
I know this is not relevant to that thread but..
The Oil Derrick Sound has still not been fixed.
Is it unfixable?
It's been a while and i haven't heard anything about the fix yet.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

I dont think its broken in 3.3.0.Betta1
works for me
dantedante673
New user

Post by dantedante673 »

I love that game. So after so long time I just downloaded it today, latest version. Started playing....lot of changes, graphics ok, some more options in menu...all ok. After a while I noticed there is NOT a "Hold position" command in right click menu. Holding by pressing "H" makes my tanks dead - they just stand and not shooting at all. WTF is that, I uninstalled this, deleted, finally find 3.1.5 in some german website - because it seems 3.1.5 is gone for good from Sourceforge - and finally can play it.

All I have to say is, removing those options from game its a worst idea EVER. Lack of creativity cannot be replaced by breaking or dumbing that amazing game down.

Have a very good day.
WZ2100ModsFAn
Trained
Trained

Post by WZ2100ModsFAn »

dantedante673 wrote: 15 Jun 2019, 16:07 I love that game. So after so long time I just downloaded it today, latest version. Started playing....lot of changes, graphics ok, some more options in menu...all ok. After a while I noticed there is NOT a "Hold position" command in right click menu. Holding by pressing "H" makes my tanks dead - they just stand and not shooting at all. WTF is that, I uninstalled this, deleted, finally find 3.1.5 in some german website - because it seems 3.1.5 is gone for good from Sourceforge - and finally can play it.

All I have to say is, removing those options from game its a worst idea EVER. Lack of creativity cannot be replaced by breaking or dumbing that amazing game down.

Have a very good day.
Download the master version.
https://travis-ci.org/Warzone2100/warzone2100
If you are a windows user.
https://ci.appveyor.com/project/Warzone ... /artifacts
dantedante673
New user

Post by dantedante673 »

dantedante673
New user

Post by dantedante673 »

Downloaded & installed...command is back, not all of them tough, but tanks "on hold" just not shooting again. So back to 3.1.5 anyway...
WZ2100ModsFAn
Trained
Trained

Post by WZ2100ModsFAn »

dantedante673 wrote: 16 Jun 2019, 18:49 Downloaded & installed...command is back, not all of them tough, but tanks "on hold" just not shooting again. So back to 3.1.5 anyway...
Could you please elaborate that "just not shooting again."?
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

3.3.0-beta does not contain the fixes if you want to see what has been changed please use master.

This thread as achieved its purpose now closed.