Unity engine remake

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Alpha_ZET
Greenhorn

Unity engine remake

Post by Alpha_ZET »

Hi, I'm doing the transfer of war zone 2100 on the new 3D engine , and I would like to cooperate with you . If you are interested, please contact us via e-mai
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Re: Models by Jorzi (AR)

Post by Jorzi »

Alpha_ZET wrote:Hi, I'm doing the transfer of war zone 2100 on the new 3D engine , and I would like to cooperate with you . If you are interested, please contact us via e-mai
I'm afraid you have to give me a little more details, like an actual e-mail address, for example :P . Also, who is this "we", what engine are you transfering it to and what are your licensing terms? You have only one post, no description/signature and have never introduced yourself in any way.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Alpha_ZET
Greenhorn

Post by Alpha_ZET »

I just recently signed up, and I participates actively on the Russian website ... I suggest to move the game on the Unity 3D engine and I would not prevent any help ... my friends and I want to turn to the right holder War zone with the question of the resolution to transfer game and somewhat improve it (our source code is open, and the game will be spread absolutely free and on behalf of the owner) but that's how to find the right holder War zone.
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Models by Jorzi (AR)

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

That question has been brought up before, and the answer is no -- we may not port Warzone 2100 over to the Unity 3D (or any other) Engine, as per the agreement with Eidos when Warzone 2100 was made open-source. It must remain on its' own. We are free to make any improvements to the native Warzone 2100 Engine, but porting it to something else is not allowed, nor any part of it.

So the short answer is no.
-------------------------------------
Вопрос был задан ранее, а ответа нет . Соглашение с Eidos , когда было сделано Warzone 2100 исходный код открытым исходным кодом была она не может быть перенесена на что-нибудь еще в целом или в части .
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Actually, I think there was a special clause allowing proprietary modules to be inserted and used with the code. However, if licensing becomes unclear, the gpl always wins. In other words, if a module is innocent enough and allows redistributing, we can theoretically include it, but it has to remain a separate package.
This, of course, has nothing to do with constructing a new game with the same concept, and since I'm the sole author of about 85-90% of my stuff, I can easily dual-license it. That said, I need a bit more convincing than a random guy making diffuse claims without any further info.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Note that for historical reasons, the special clause only applies to the original source code drop, not to the version of the source code that our project distributes.

Also, there are open source 3D engines out there that are compatible with the GPL.
Alpha_ZET
Greenhorn

Post by Alpha_ZET »

So you tell me, can not be here so take and move the game on a new engine? We then sue for plagiarism ???
Alpha_ZET
Greenhorn

Post by Alpha_ZET »

i want make Warzone 2100 on the unity 3d engine. with saving original shapes for models and add something new. CAN I DO IT OR NOT?)
Alpha_ZET
Greenhorn

Post by Alpha_ZET »

all the work is done from scratch, absolutely new code model, all, all, all new domestic production, except that the design is similar to the original, only detailing
Alpha_ZET
Greenhorn

Post by Alpha_ZET »

I explain I'm doing another new code, new model, on the engine Unity 3d (new game based Warzone without affecting in any way the source code Warzone) Question: Do I break the license Warzone ????
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

If you are creating a remake without using any of this project's code or assets, then you do not need a license for anything from us.

That does not mean you do not need a license from the original rights holders for the storyline and trademark. You could use the GPL for all story-line related elements, derived from the original open source release, and keep the code under a different license. It is tricky, but I think possible.

But if you really have the crew for such a huge task (remember, the original game was made by a sizeable crew working full-time on it for several years!), why not make something original?

Note that none of this is legal advice, and I am not a lawyer.
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Re: Unity engine remake

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

I defer to those more in the know than myself on this matter. :)
Alpha_ZET
Greenhorn

Post by Alpha_ZET »

I'm from Russia , and translated from the English obtained incorrectly , and probably from Russian to English clumsily translate , so unsurprising my words
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

tl;dr: Warzone is GPL. If you use stuff from Warzone, it must remain GPL.
Alpha_ZET
Greenhorn

Post by Alpha_ZET »

It is planned that our code will be open