Multiple hardpoints for heavy body?

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Re: Multiple hardpoints for heavy body?

Post by Watermelon »

Troman wrote: What about creating and loading new save games, do new savegames work properly?
Do all bodies need 2 connectors, even tiny ones? Will that automatically allow us to put 2 weapons on them?
It wont allow us to put 2 weapons on that automatically,they are just 2 'invisible' hardpoints,only useable when the droid's 'numWeaps' > 1/body_size > SIZE_LIGHT.
I really don't know if Medium and Heavy bodies can handle 2 and 3 turrets, respectively. I mean that will probably look ugly with most of the weapons. I think it will be better if we add new bodies for this purpose, some fresh wind so to speak.

I have created an overview of body data for this purpose, for an easier orientation:
http://wz2100.net/wiki/user:body_table
they look ok,I made the 2nd one 'embbed' into body(slightly higher than VTOL weapon),and 3rd one is slightly higher than 'main turret',since the all bodies except dragon is too 'narrow'.

new bodies will be great,but large bodies might cause collision detection problem?,I dont know how they detect the collsion of a droid,if they use the points in a pie to detect collision,then it shouldnt be a problem.
Where is engine output defined, in propultions.txt? Was it completely unused up till now? Are you sure 50% is not too much? We don't have as many Schumachers to put them into every single tank. ;)

We should probably fuzzify this engine output/speed bonus relation.
It's in bodies.txt.

yep it was completely unused,the only reference in source was in the design windows,there is a stat 'bar' in body selection step displays engine output.,but that's all.

50% just a test value I thrown in to test whether it works or not,yes it does work,there are speed caps for all propulsions,even with 50% bonus it wont exceed the caps.

Initially I wanted to make the bonus value the result of 'engineOutput/totalWeight',but the bonus will be either too small/too big,it's 1.5f atm.

Maybe giving the droid other bonuses based on engineOutput will be interesting too/might help balancing the bodies.
AI uses pre-defined template list.
Now that's a problem.  ;D
hmm I will look for the template list and see if I can make the AI to use the new designs.
I don't know about this, I don't have a tool to apply patches, unless the patch is done with TortoiseSVN, maybe Devurandom can do this when he has time or you can create patch with TortoiseSVN and I can look at it.
the patch is created with TortoiseSVN,or I can send you the modified sources/pies,patch is alot smaller in size though,patch compressed is only a few KBs while the zipped sources+pies weights 300+KBs.Though the patch might cause conflicts if you make changes to the source recently after rev 431.Besides,you need a modified resource_parser.c if you want to compile it in windows,some recent changes broke it,physFS will freak out if you dont replace the '\\' with '/' in that file in windows.
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

Put it as attachment here, it wont get lost :)
Btw, very nice work!
We all have the same heaven, but not the same horizon.
Troman
Trained
Trained

Post by Troman »

Watermelon wrote: new bodies will be great,but large bodies might cause collision detection problem?,I dont know how they detect the collsion of a droid,if they use the points in a pie to detect collision,then it shouldnt be a problem.
I don't think it will be a problem, if bodies will be a bit bigger than dragon, since dragon body seems to work fine with the current engine.
Watermelon wrote: hmm I will look for the template list and see if I can make the AI to use the new designs.
It's ok, I was a bit sarcastic saying that, since improving AI is my main purpose on this project.
Watermelon wrote: the patch is created with TortoiseSVN,or I can send you the modified sources/pies,patch is alot smaller in size though,patch compressed is only a few KBs while the zipped sources+pies weights 300+KBs.Though the patch might cause conflicts if you make changes to the source recently after rev 431.Besides,you need a modified resource_parser.c if you want to compile it in windows,some recent changes broke it,physFS will freak out if you dont replace the '\\' with '/' in that file in windows.
I'm using the latest revision on windows and I don't seem to have any problems with that, although it took about 30 mins to fix all slash/backslash issues, it was always data that was causing problems on my end.
?topic=1617.0
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

If he creates the patch with "svn diff" on the commandline (if he is on Linux/Mac), then this will be compatible with TSVN, too.
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

Hi, i must say, it is very funny! (And hard!) :)
Since the AI uses them too.
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

Kamaze wrote: Hi, i must say, it is very funny! (And hard!) :)
Since the AI uses them too.
Currently the AIs only use few 'test' multi-turret designs,Troman will make them use more multi-turret designs effictively when he has time. :)
sicanjal
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sicanjal »

Now this I wanna play with. :D
Can anyone upload a Windows binary of this in action? I can't for some reason get WZ to compile with DevC++
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

sicanjal wrote: Now this I wanna play with. :D
Can anyone upload a Windows binary of this in action? I can't for some reason get WZ to compile with DevC++
it failed miserably when compiling with DevCpp,I have compiled binary with MSVC(because mingw one is broken too for unknown reason,it compiles fine in both debug/release,but crashes at start-up without any useful info...)
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

I can upload a binary from trunk at the weekend probably. (Crosscompiled on Linux, won't take a step over to Windoze for compiling anymore. ;) )
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

DevUrandom wrote: I can upload a binary from trunk at the weekend probably. (Crosscompiled on Linux, won't take a step over to Windoze for compiling anymore. ;) )
A RC2?
Btw, Code::Blocks a very good free C/C++ Cross-IDE. (I recommend the nightly builds)
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

Watermelon wrote: I have run into more problems than I expected when modifying the source,there is only 1 copy of turrent info TurrentRotate etc in droid struct.Also I am trying to find what is causing the crashes in modified source,but unlike linux,in windows it doesnt give any info except strerr output upon crash,I still unable to compile the source with MSVC,so I couldnt use the VC debugger to pinpoint the problem.Mingw 'commandline debugger' GDB seems to be too hard for me :D

Any tips/tricks to get useful info in windows upon crash will be appreciated. :)

well - i wonder if it is due to a spelling error?    i have pointed this out prior but it seems not everyone has read that...
there is only 1 copy of turrent info TurrentRotate
it is not turrent - and it is not turrentrotate - i realize that the source probably has/had it spelled that way but it is WRONG.

proper spelling is
  turret    and    turretrotate
now i will :-X
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

lav_coyote25 wrote:
well - i wonder if it is due to a spelling error?    i have pointed this out prior but it seems not everyone has read that...

it is not turrent - and it is not turrentrotate - i realize that the source probably has/had it spelled that way but it is WRONG.

proper spelling is

now i will :-X

Thanks for correction.

The typos of 'turret' were never made into the source,so dont worry ;D
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Kamaze wrote: A RC2?
Not really. Just another snapshot to see if everything is working...
But: Delayed due to illness.
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

I just changed design.c a bit,so it uses 'weaponSlots' rather than 'body size' in body.txt to detect how many turrets should be installed on this body.

I'll be working on multi-turret building and multi-targetting with multiple weapons if noone thinks they will break the game.  :)