Contributing in 3D?

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
cathuria
Art contributor

Re: Contributing in 3D?

Post by cathuria »

I did a quick mock-up of my first concept for the ECM turret; haven't textured it yet.  Only 230 tri's -- I assume from your comment that I should stick with tri's; let me know if I can use quads, that would greatly increase the amount of detail I can put in.
I'd like to post a quick pic somewhere for your comments -- would you want me to do that here, or someplace a little less public?

Also, it occurs to me that there must be some provision for team colors.  Is that a predefined area of the UV map, or just a particular color value?
Hmm, it appears from the forum-time that it must be past midnight where you're at.  See ya in the morning... or after the weekend. 8)
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

You can post it here, if you want. We usually don't keep stuff secret. ;)
Team colors... I guess kage can tell you something about that?
cathuria
Art contributor

Post by cathuria »

Mind you, this is just a conceptual sketch.  I wanted to rough out my idea of the general shape for your consideration, and to see that it could be done within the poly limit.
As fortune would have it, the Luxology site (makers of Modo) recently added some videos on making lo-poly game models to their training materials.  Not having done this sort of thing before, I downloaded and watched them last night.  There are some nifty ideas in there about making hi-poly models and then baking them down to low poly game models.  If you give me a couple days to work on that method, it might be wowzers.  Assuming you like this shape, of course.

And just so I can pester you with more questions... from looking at the game, I presume that it is not bothering with bump mapping or smoothing algorithms... so I assume that I shouldn't bother either - ?
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

cathuria wrote:
And just so I can pester you with more questions... from looking at the game, I presume that it is not bothering with bump mapping or smoothing algorithms... so I assume that I shouldn't bother either - ?
* Absolutely key question.. (sharp, cathuria).

* On your ECM model...

* To me it's geometry suggests aggression like the mandibles of an insect or the lethal petals of the Venus Fly Trap (personally I find ALL forms in nature endlessly facinating & inspiring). And that's a good quality in a futuristic war game - definitely is a contributing factor to the overall atmospheric  immersion.... the visuals drawing you into the game world like a combination magnet & magic spell.

* Look foward to seeing your texturizing. :)

Cheers, RV :D

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Serman
Trained
Trained

Post by Serman »

I see we have an artist on our hands now.  :)

I look forward to seeing your contributions.  ;D
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

cathuria wrote: And just so I can pester you with more questions... from looking at the game, I presume that it is not bothering with bump mapping or smoothing algorithms... so I assume that I shouldn't bother either - ?
Bump mapping and any kind of smoothing (besides anti aliasing) isn't done in Warzone.
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Giel wrote: Bump mapping and any kind of smoothing (besides anti aliasing) isn't done in Warzone.
* Hmmm... at this point in time that may hold but it's definitely not a "sermon in stone".  :o

- Cheers, RV  8)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

I love that model! It looks somewhat sinister, which is exactly what an ECM turret should look like.
"Make a man a fire, you keep him warm for a day. Set a man on fire, you keep him warm for the rest of his life."
Serman
Trained
Trained

Post by Serman »

Please tell me what an ECM turret is....  ???
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Serman wrote: Please tell me what an ECM turret is....  ???
)

* Electronic Counter Measures..... of which "cloaking" would be one of several flavors. (cept you still need to remember that the creation of GFX for such events is essential to immersion - for  mere "textual" changes will not accomplish that end goal.)

- Cheers, RV :

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

Giel wrote: Bump mapping and any kind of smoothing (besides anti aliasing) isn't done in Warzone.
That said, as Rman Virgil pointed out, this may change in the future (no guarantees though).
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

------->

* Most artists I've known personally are unabashed fans of other artists work (sometimes we can get a little "catty" too).

* In looking at your "Improbable Art" cathuria, I'm gonna guess that on the so called fine art side you've been into S. Dali (among others, no doubt) and on the "commercial art" side you dig the work of Ragnar Tørnquist & Hayao Miyazaki.... (I'm also gonna go out on the limb & guess that as a kid you really liked the 'ol Warner Studios "Looney Toons"..)

* Kwel stuff at the Improbable Store & reasonably priced too. :)

- Cheers, RV :D

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
cathuria
Art contributor

Post by cathuria »

Rman:
Actually, my intellectual field is history.  Any artistic capacity is purely self-taught (and hard fought for).  And as for "Fine Art" -- I don't really know squat... I just like purty pictures.
But since your prodding :) -- my favorites include Rubens, Durer, Frazetta, Giger... and, um... yah, any suggestion that Looney Toons don't qualify as "fine art" is simply heretical.
cathuria
Art contributor

Post by cathuria »

Well, here's my first attempt finished...

254 Tri's with a 256x256 bmp image map.
It seems to work fine as an OBJ file, but I'm not sure about final conversion yet -- I still might have to redo the UVs depending on what I find out about how team colors are implemented.  And of course I can alter the basic color scheme easily.
I can also export it in different units; Modo has a game units setting -- right now, it's in meters & such.
Also, does anything need to be done with it to differentiate a vehicular & tower version?
Please forgive me all my questions -- like I said, I've never done this before -- but it is something fun & different. :D
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

In the words of Lord Vader "Impressive".

All the remains now is to get that thing in game!

Regards, Freddie.