new headquarters and modeling - all here now.

Get some help with creating maps or modding.
Need a map editor or other tools, look here!
rush2049
Trained
Trained

Re: new headquarters and modeling - all here now.

Post by rush2049 »

that would be cool, if remmember correctly warzone has a simple 3d format, so the hard part would be figuring out blenders method of storing geometry and the UV texture coordinates for them...
System:AMD Phenom II x6 1055T @3.511ghz, 8GB DDR3 @1672.2mhz 9-9-9-24, Geforce GTX 275
Cheery
New user

Post by Cheery »

The storage format what blender uses is so filled with objects serialised with python that doing direct .blend -> .pie converter can be a mess, The best way you can possibly do it is by writing a plugin with blender's tools to 'export' models from format to another.

People on #blender -channel claimed that the format will be neither refactored to be better, so I'm guessing it'll be like that for a while...
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

Why not export via blender to *.3ds or *.obj, this are very simple -and not binary- export formats. (afaik)
Someone with good math/geometry knowledge should be able to write a 3ds/obj -> pie converter :)
We all have the same heaven, but not the same horizon.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

would having the orioginal 3dsmax version 3  - converter help - ie having a look at the way it was formed?  ???
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
rush2049
Trained
Trained

Post by rush2049 »

my only concern is will the uv texturing data be transfered to a 3ds format or whichever you use. Make sure it keeps the UV texture data...
System:AMD Phenom II x6 1055T @3.511ghz, 8GB DDR3 @1672.2mhz 9-9-9-24, Geforce GTX 275
Suprano
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Suprano »

I need to create an exporter for my own projects, so i will have to work with python + blender anyway, so i can do this.

--Ano
rush2049
Trained
Trained

Post by rush2049 »

thanks
Lixtan
Trained
Trained

Post by Lixtan »

I noticed Rush2049's topic about modeling an HQ and such, and decided I'd try it myself.

I use a program called Rhinoceros (http://www.rhino3d.com), a more powerful, commercial editor than Blender. (Hell, I don't even know if you can actually draw in Blender, I haven't tried. :P)

Anyway, not to steal ideas or anything...

[img width=300 height=240]http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/155/hqas2.jpg[/img]

I also downloaded Blender, to see what it offered, and if I could import from Rhino. (Which I could, they both know .stl. :))

Here's a view from Blender:

[img width=300 height=281]http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/7221/hqbvy8.jpg[/img]

And for those of you who think you'd like Rhino...
There's an 'evaluation version' you can download. The limitations?
You can't copy/paste, and you have 30 saves before you can't save your work. But hey, those don't matter, because you can copy something just by going to the Transform menu and clicking Mirror, and in the top view, drag your line along one of the four axes. And the thirty saves? Hah, they freeze around 23-25. Something like that. :P

EDIT: I forgot to mention, that little bit protruding on the top part acts as a mount for a rotational radar, if we want one.
Last edited by Lixtan on 09 Oct 2006, 23:13, edited 1 time in total.
C01eMaN
Trained
Trained

Post by C01eMaN »

that looks cool... now all we need is someone to start making a good pie converter (or for the team to make the models a different format)
-
do you have any ideas for any of the other buildings?
Im Addicted To Warzone!!!!!!!
Lixtan
Trained
Trained

Post by Lixtan »

Not yet, but I have a class in school that uses Rhino, so I have alot more time to work on this stuff than some people do; I'll see what I can come up with.
rush2049
Trained
Trained

Post by rush2049 »

I am still working on my HQ model, but the problem is I have to learn to UV texture with blender first...

which I have done and now am making it with photoshop....

it is slow to make it look good. Then I was going to save it and give it to a coder. We had some people say they would work on it when I finish. The pie converter is the problem.

This whole ordeal is because pie slicer is nice, but hard to upkeep when we change warzone, and it is easier to use a seperate modeling program to accomplish these goals.

I would love some help on these models, email me at ben dot raush at gmail dot com and we will discuss who does what... lol...
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

- Sticky removed.
- News/Announcement too.

(lav_coyote25, next time just leave a message here...)

Second:
Moved to Mapping/Modding,
i think this has nothing todo with the main WZ developing.
Last edited by lav_coyote25 on 14 Oct 2006, 06:50, edited 1 time in total.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

Kamaze wrote: - Sticky removed.
- News/Announcement too.

(lav_coyote25, next time just leave a message here...)

Second:
Moved to Mapping/Modding,
i think this has nothing todo with the main WZ developing.

number 1 - i was not sure how you wanted it. 
number 2 - in announcements to make sure people could find it... it is a way to be polite.  appologies - i was not raised in the way you were.

number three - dont worry.  next time - i will leave it all to you.
>:(
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

Please cool down lav_coyote25 :)
in announcements to make sure people could find it... it is a way to be polite.
You have the option to create "shadow" topics which indicate the movement.
See http://wz2100.net/forum/index.php?topic=120.0

To the news post:
All topics in the news Board will be shown on the Main-Page as news.
Now imagine if we post a 'News' for each topic movement... ;)
Thats why i removed it.

And the merge was still a good idea.

So, please don't get it wrong lav, i think next time we need a bit more intern communication *g*