[DEVELOPMENT] Campaign 4 Development Thread

Get some help with creating maps or modding.
Need a map editor or other tools, look here!
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Re: [Renamed] Goth's Campaign 4 Development Thread

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

Yikes, ok, that explains it then.

I'll see about making those. I got the Wyvern NexusLink into flaME easily enough.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Sorry Goth. :oops: Promised you an .ogg yesterday and didn't deliver. But today, after work, I'll record again what I'm sure will pass muster with me, at least. :wink:

Here's my process over the last week in a nutshell.

I kept recording to find the right diction and tone for the character & text, which I did. Where I was having probs was with the cadence. I just couldn't shoe-horn the cadence with the text. So last night it hit me - I need to deal with the text. I just finished what amounts to very subtle changes in the syntax so I could get to the meter-cadence I was after that would support the diction & tone I settled on for the character. After work today I'll do some new recording based on the revised text of last night. :3

In hindsight, I am now realizing the driving force behind the direction I followed - David Mamet. Started out a successful playwright out of Chicago many years ago who later went on to write and direct a number of unique Hollywood movies. His last project was for TV, a show called "The Unit". The thing about David Mamet is his signature dialogue style - definitely meant to be spoken and not for reading and also not like RL talking either. Guess you have to hear it (rather than me try and give a pedagogical description) & "The Unit" is perfect for that - as well for me the unconscious inspiration for the Tac Sgt Gibbs journey I've been on.

Anyway, later today...

- RV :hmm:
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Take your time. I've got Mission 10's map done, finally. After I take care of Mission 9 (the MUCH larger map) and Mission 13 (map is roughed out) and their overviews written, I'll be able to focus solely on the audio stuff (something I'm VERY much looking forward to!).

I'll check out some clips of the style. Sounds like you have it pretty well worked out, I'm interested in checking out what you've come up with. :D
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Post by milo christiansen »

OK I've confirmed that warzone uses a different set of templates for campaign. Its an easy fix just a little copy/paste required :)
If this is the last big problem I discover a test (no AI) version will be done soon.
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Awesome Milo. I'll get the last maps finished up and overviews written asap. Is there anything I need to change on my end? I assume the maps will all need to be in their final form?
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Ok I'm reworking all the units and structures for the Main map. Templates are done, going to test the new Mobile Command Center and everything else for any issues. If there are no problems I'll complete that work tonight.

Milo, just to be clear -- I should *not* place any of the patrol units on the map at all, correct? Those will be spawned in via script? I want to know before I go screwing things up again.
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Re: [Renamed] Campaign 4 Development Thread

Goth Zagog-Thou wrote:Ok I'm reworking all the units and structures for the Main map. Templates are done, going to test the new Mobile Command Center and everything else for any issues. If there are no problems I'll complete that work tonight.
I found an very easy fix for ALL template problems, just copy the majority of mp.wz into the mod :P this lets you use anything you can use in mp/sk mode in cam mode. I did remove all the research related files an some of the wrf files that are not needed in cam mode but otherwise not much needed changing.

Here's the test mod I've been promising :) Mission 1 should work fine but it will likely crash when you start mission 2 and WILL crash at the start of mission 3. AI is not included.
cam4.wz
cam 4 test mod - Only mission 1 works
(1.08 MiB) Downloaded 175 times
Goth Zagog-Thou wrote:Milo, just to be clear -- I should *not* place any of the patrol units on the map at all, correct? Those will be spawned in via script? I want to know before I go screwing things up again
Anything that you don't want to be on the map at the time that part of the map becomes available to the player will need to be placed by script, so yes :P
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Awesome Milo. I found a rather glaring problem with the Main Map, and it required me moving the "forgotten enemy"'s area. I finally finished off all the texturing doodads and stuff too, so it's a big improvement all around. There should be NO danger of accidentally triggering Mission 11 & 12 when the scroll limits get expanded southward on Mission 6 (I think it's 6...). Thanks to Flail for having me take another look at the scroll limits stuff, that could have been a real surprise. :lol2:

I *do* have new templates, names, and assignweapons. I'll test them with the test mod -- shouldn't take much to get them in there. At least I can do *something* script-wise, hehe.

EDIT: Oh, and I'll send you the FINAL (I promise!) version of the Main Map today sometime. Nothing coords-related has been altered, other than "Player 2"'s base location being moved southward. Shouldn't cause a problem since I haven't written the overview yet. Mission 9's map is now my focus, Mission 8 has been updated from the test thread info, Mission 10's map is done also. Mission 13 has been roughed out and cliffed, but I didn't add anything to it yet.
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Oh my. Crashed the game on startup.

Here's the log:

Code: Select all

error   |01:05:58: [iV_loadImage_PNG] pie_PNGLoadFile: PHYSFS_openRead(texpages/bdrops/backdrop0.png) failed with error: File not found
error   |01:05:58: [loadLevFile] loadLevFile: File not found: addon.lev
error   |01:05:58: [lev_error] Level File parse error: `Unknown dataset` at line `9` text `MULTI_CAM_3`
error   |01:05:58: [loadLevFile] loadLevFile: Parse error in 2c-Cam4-9Testing.addon.lev
error   |01:05:58: [lev_error] Level File parse error: `Unknown dataset` at line `18` text `MULTI_CAM_1`
error   |01:05:58: [loadLevFile] loadLevFile: Parse error in 2c-Cam4TEMPLATES.addon.lev
error   |01:05:58: [lev_error] Level File parse error: `Unknown dataset` at line `27` text `MULTI_CAM_1`
error   |01:05:58: [loadLevFile] loadLevFile: Parse error in 2c-Campaign4Testing.addon.lev
error   |01:05:58: [lev_error] Level File parse error: `Unknown dataset` at line `36` text `MULTI_CAM_1`
error   |01:05:58: [loadLevFile] loadLevFile: Parse error in 4c-Cam4-8Testing.addon.lev
error   |01:05:58: [lev_error] Level File parse error: `Unknown dataset` at line `43` text `MULTI_CAM_1`
error   |01:05:58: [loadLevFile] loadLevFile: Parse error in 8c-K4x2.addon.lev
error   |01:05:58: [lev_error] Level File parse error: `Unknown dataset` at line `51` text `MULTI_CAM_2`
error   |01:05:58: [loadLevFile] loadLevFile: Parse error in 8c-k4x2_Mod.addon.lev
error   |01:05:59: [PlayList_Read] PHYSFS_openRead("music/music.wpl") failed with error: File not found
error   |01:05:59: [openLoadFile] file wrf/frontend.wrf could not be opened: File not found
error   |01:05:59: [openLoadFile] Assert in Warzone: ../../../../lib/framework/frame.c:323 (!"unable to open file"), last script event: '<none>'
fatal   |01:05:59: [resLoad] Could not open file wrf/frontend.wrf
fatal   |01:06:05: [startTitleLoop] Shutting down after failure
Unless this is just telling me to copy mp.wz into the mod. Hehe.
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Nope, nothing. Still got the crash.
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

None of those files are in the .wz I uploaded O_o It looks like your trying to use it as a mp/sk mod or have added mp maps
cam maps don't have or need .addon.lev files, you just need the raw map files, the wrfs, and an entry in the main lev file.

BTW: my wz file is made using data files from the latest master. It could work fine for 2.3.7 but probably not
- Demigod Game Ganual
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Hmm. Walk me through this a bit.

1) Goes into 'mods/campaign' folder, right?
2) Needs raw maps? As in compile for campaign and put it in the Cam4-1 folder in /wrf ?
3) Get rid of the addon.lev and add what for the entry, and where?

Sorry. Skittish.
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Anyway I'll upload the updated main map and stuff soon as I get overviews written, but I'm dead tired and brain fried. I'll check in later on.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

milo christiansen wrote:
BTW: my wz file is made using data files from the latest master. It could work fine for 2.3.7 but probably not
by Per » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:10 am wrote:
As for 2.3.x, at least I intend to keep supporting that line for a while. That means you can safely make work against that line now.
by cybersphinx » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:53 am wrote:Master. The problem there is with keeping up, if you develop something against that, since it's a moving target (ok, not that fast-moving at the moment...).
Goth Zagog-Thou » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:10 am wrote:Thank you, gentlemen, for the input. :)

My thoughts were to conduct development on the current 2.3.x branch. Less chance of breakage, and I wasn't planning to do anything unusual other than custom voice sets, some music, and videos. .......

Unless I missed something along the way I think it is the v. 2.3.7 Data Files that are called for NOT the Master's.

At least, this looks like an opportunity to be definitive on which binary/data set.

- Regards, RV :hmm:
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Yeah, I prefer the 2.x.stable branch, please. It'll still work on master that way.