Mapmakers Questions and Problems

Get some help with creating maps or modding.
Need a map editor or other tools, look here!
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Hello Gentlemen :)

I have decided to make this topic becuse I have some questions and problems..

I was told by good mapmakers to be free PM them any time i need help and I want to thank them all for that.

But I think maybe by posting this topic I will help at the sime time all other mapmakers solve their problems and answer their questions.

I also fell bad PMing people with a lot of question taking their precious time.. so here I will get I hope posts of people who have time and are willing to answer.

And maybe other people will post their questions and problems here too.

Of course if somone do not want to share their secrets of making maps on forum, please really please just type PM to meas an answer to a problem.

I am using flaMEv1-02 and I am very satisfied, of course I know many use other programs and other versions and are happy too.

During my map making I have encounter many problems and questions.

I want to add that my qestions are about flaMEv1-02 editor.

I am sorry if i ask silly things, or strange ones, i am just learning and I am curious.

Here are some of my questions.

1 What is the maximum number of features you can put on a map ?? and does it depends on the map size ??

2 What is the specific number of Scavengers structures I can put on the map ?? can I use for example 16 Scavenger Factories ?? but then only first 8 will work I mean produce units and the rest just stand ?? what is the maximum number of Scavenger structures ??

3 Can I put water at a different height without making game slowing down very much, I mean I have made map where at the height of 0 was water and at the height of 255 as a lake in elevated island terrarian, and whenever pople nered the lake the game sloved down almost crahing and even crashing..

4 I have also strange problem sometimes, people entering my room, i think then it happens, erase my base numbers on the map, I dont know maybe it happens during a game and next time we play it is already erased, I mean here I see the numbers but players dont.. It happened to me today, i was told "put numbers of bases on map" I thought what the hell, and it hapened to me 3 times already on different maps, I had to erease the map from Warzone file and download my own map.. to replace it.

5 I would also like to know how to make and how to use smooth setting in flaMe, becuse as those who know my maps probably have noticed that my big hills are like steps..

6 I have also problem, an error, that after compilation some objects are missing, for example i have put 6 feature factories next to each other, but after compilation i have 4 not often but on some maps it happens..

I would be very happy if someone could answer my questions, not necesarily all at one time.

If any question needs more details from me, or exact description of the situation I am redy to answer.

I have much more questions, but those are the most important to me.

I am sorry I have put the same topic in Help section, becuse i have never noticed this section..

I would like all answers here..

Gentlemen have fun making maps :)

Bye :)
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
NEXUS
Trained
Trained

Re: Mapmakers Questions and Problems

Post by NEXUS »

You can only place 5 factories at a time, any more may risk crashing the game, and I think that the limit is 700 features? I may be wrong however. :P
My nicknames - Mattbrit -> TankMaster -> Dr Reed -> ??? :)
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Thank you for the post NEXUS :)

Do you mean to use only 5 factories for scavengers ?? In my latest map i used 16.. and all worked without any problems, except those I told you about..

And I want exact number of structures.. on second version of Forest i have used about 750 structures and all workes fine..

That is why I want exact number, somone has to know that, or answer to some of my questions..

“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
BrickTop
Trained
Trained

Post by BrickTop »

Hello mero.Good idea with your threat. I would have there also one question.Is it that all the same where i can make gateways or can some gateways everywhere put and the computers build then there defence. Perhaps can me one would explain-be genuinly class of you thanks.

pls excuse my english
http://retroshare.sourceforge.net/
Secure communication for everyone.
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

Merowingg wrote:1 What is the maximum number of features you can put on a map ?? and does it depends on the map size ??
Don't know.
Merowingg wrote:2 What is the specific number of Scavengers structures I can put on the map ?? can I use for example 16 Scavenger Factories ?? but then only first 8 will work I mean produce units and the rest just stand ?? what is the maximum number of Scavenger structures ??
Well, in theory you can have as many factories as you want. However, graphics are the problem because of what you can't build more then 5 factories. Since AI and Scavs don't use the graphics, they can build as many factories as they want.
And you can have a maximum of 255 structures. This is not only for Scavs, but also for human players. Note that this is per-structure-per-player, not global structure limit. So, let's say that there are total of 240 structures, and that there are 4 players, so total max number of structures is: 255x240x4=244800. But maybe there also is a diffrent global structure limit.
Merowingg wrote:3 Can I put water at a different height without making game slowing down very much, I mean I have made map where at the height of 0 was water and at the height of 255 as a lake in elevated island terrarian, and whenever pople nered the lake the game sloved down almost crahing and even crashing..
I never expirienced that problem.
Merowingg wrote:4 I have also strange problem sometimes, people entering my room, i think then it happens, erase my base numbers on the map, I dont know maybe it happens during a game and next time we play it is already erased, I mean here I see the numbers but players dont.. It happened to me today, i was told "put numbers of bases on map" I thought what the hell, and it hapened to me 3 times already on different maps, I had to erease the map from Warzone file and download my own map.. to replace it.
My best guess: Broken mapfile becuase of bad filetransfer code.
Merowingg wrote:5 I would also like to know how to make and how to use smooth setting in flaMe, becuse as those who know my maps probably have noticed that my big hills are like steps..
You simply select that tool, and drag the brush over steep terrain. You can also play with it's options.
Merowingg wrote:6 I have also problem, an error, that after compilation some objects are missing, for example i have put 6 feature factories next to each other, but after compilation i have 4 not often but on some maps it happens..
Probably a bug in flaME.
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Thank you very much KukY for your answer :)

Do you make maps too or did you asked someone ??

Thank you very much :)

I have to learn how to use Smooth thing from question five.. I am not sure how it works, i will experiment with it soon :)

And I dont consider the topic to be ended, there are still unanswered things.. I want collective answer of many to take the best from their experience.. to be better..

Regards - Mero
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

BrickTop this is excelent place for all your questions :)

bye :)

Regards - Mero
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

Merowingg wrote:Do you make maps too or did you asked someone ??
Yes, I make maps :lol2:
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Excalent :)

Thanx for help again !! :)

Regards - Mero
BrickTop
Trained
Trained

Post by BrickTop »

heh guys i need help.Coz i dont understand how i can set gateways.Doesent it matter,where the gateways are made.
Could someone explain me that pls.
http://retroshare.sourceforge.net/
Secure communication for everyone.
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Hello :)

Isnt it explained in the post where you have gateways set to download ??

I think I have seen instructions there..

bye :)

Regards - Mero
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

BrickTop I misunderstood your question..

Let me explain now :)

Press a gateway option, and make a line of 6 tiles for example so 123456 squares are visible, ai will built a line of defence on square 12 and 56 leaving 34 gateway :) if you will make a line long for 8 tiles 123 and 678 will be defences and 45 will be the gateway :) gateway is always 2 tiles wide :)

Regards - Mero
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Hi :)

How does too many features affects compiled map ??

Is it playable if overfeatured ??

Regards - Mero
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

I was shown many times the tiles sets not from original Warzone 2100 game

I would like to know is it allowed to use them for multiplayer games ?? and do they work for multiplayer games ??

Is it somehow against the original game ??

I am not a fan of them, but I am really curious..

Regards - Mero