So I tried to make a map and failed

Get some help with creating maps or modding.
Need a map editor or other tools, look here!
winsrp
Trained
Trained

So I tried to make a map and failed

Post by winsrp »

Well these are a couple of comments I have about the map editor:

#1 good games normally have good map editors, and you can see that those games have 1000s of maps around. This is not the case with Warzone.

#2 I spend 2 days only finding where did I downloaded the fricking map editor program, can someone PLEASE put the link inside the developers section on the map making part, so others don't have to pass the same pain as I did. THANK YOU

#3 Camera controls inside the map editor should resemble at least in their basics to the controls on the game itself you know right click press to rotate, mouse wheel to zoom, Ctrl+arrows for N-S-E-W etc etc....

#4 The import height map seems to be broken... example of what it did to me, I make a linear map, and the editor put all sideways... crap...
screwup.PNG
#5 Why the heck you need 2 view screens for the editor... oh yeah... camera sucks thats why...

After this failure i didn't even want to continue to try to make a map anymore... since its not worth the pain. Is there someone that can improve the editor or it is what it is... and screw us all?
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: So I tried to make a map and failed

Post by Mysteryem »

Using .png always does that (or worse) for me
Sometimes editworld doesn't like the size of your heightmap, try enlarging it slightly.
I am forced to convert everything from .png to .pcx whenever I use a heightmap.
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

wel this is a PCX 250x250 non converted.

made directly with Photoshop CS3 in pcx format.... it sucks.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

#5 Why the heck you need 2 view screens for the editor... oh yeah... camera sucks thats why...
O_o has nothing to do with the camera. :stare:

if you look at the way the screen is divided - you will see 3 windows. :)

1) contains the tertiles / structures / etc.

2) contains the 3D camera - where you can place objects etc.

3) contins the 2D camera - where you have to place gateways - and also check on passageways...

all of the above is contained in the tutorial. xD
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

one other way to make a map that doesnt fail.... grab the 16 bit version - design and import your heightmap. then transfer that .LND over to the 32bit version to complete what ever your wanting to add.... is how i do it... it works. i know is a pain in the tukus but that is what we have right now - if someone wants to make a total new one that is cross platform and works out of the box - have at it. i will be more than happy to alpha/beta/gama test it . xD
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

I've read all 3 of them and still was not able to accomplish anything... starting with the height map screwed up...
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

make your height map a .pcx. make sure that it is grey scale and the same dimensions as your map.

use the 16 bit map editor to start the process. import the heightmap.pcx into your new map. save it out.

transfer the new map over to the 32 bit map editor. map will now work. do your adding of trucks and structures and resources and whatever else you need to do. xD
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

height map is in deed PCX, and grayscale, ill try that 16/32 bits things you tell me as a last try... by the way... is there a way to convert all of these maps ? http://rbl.directgames.net/ (it's the link on tutorial #3)
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

I saw that the converter program is now dead, and It would be a great loss if we cant convert all of these.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

all those maps were converted... i thought they were here already... if not - i may have them somewhere in amongst the 5 gb or there abouts of warzone related stuff. xD
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

then you are more than welcome to share ;) link please.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Why so serious?
:P
I mean, I already tried to make maps in worldedit, and failed epically. I know that the tool is complicated to understand at first, but have in mind that the dev team doesn't earn their living with the tons of good work they're doing here on the resurrection project. Stay calm, ask for the vets how they do it, and try again ;)
I don't know how to help, I do not understand how worldedit works, but I know that there are many people who are willing to help if you ask nicely :cool:
Moro_Nick
Trained
Trained

Post by Moro_Nick »

and let's not forget that well over a 1000 wz maps have been made with this editor.

that the original campaign maps were made with this editor along with the stock mp and sp skirmish maps in the distro.

that these 2 facts account for wz even being a game peeps wanna play 10 years after its retail release because the greater majority that come to wz and continue to play the game is not because of robust mp but rather the campaign and skirmish and the maps that make gaming in those modes enjoyable.

also that there are quite a few legit masterpiece maps made with this editor (by HB, 4nE, Troman, Lav_Coyote, to name a few artists of map making). these maps can surely stand up favorably with the very best maps made for other rts games with their editors.

once you get the hang of the editor and the nuances of good wz map design.... the editor is very easy to use... it is just inherently time consuming and work intensive to make good maps that have lasting value. time consuming and work intensive also apply to good art and good mods and it's just a fact of life that most are not up to those challenges regardless of how easy to use the editors or creation tools might be.
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

and where can I pick these 1000 maps you are talking about... cus i can't find them (compatible with current resurection version that is....)
-Kosh-
Trained
Trained

Post by -Kosh- »

winsrp wrote:and where can I pick these 1000 maps you are talking about... cus i can't find them (compatible with current resurection version that is....)
The OP of the forums does not want questionable content on this site because of ... well, ask him :P
That is why you can not give links to this stuff.

Read viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2706
NOTE: Do *NOT* upload converted maps here, unless *YOU* made it. They are *NOT* allowed, and will be deleted.
This is a waste of space. Something important should be here.