Bodies - Meshing

Get some help with creating maps or modding.
Need a map editor or other tools, look here!
Olrox
Art contributor

Re: Bodies - Meshing

Post by Olrox »

Avestron wrote:I'll certainly check this when I get back to the blender machine. :) Heres hoping that it works. Otherwise I'll need to start the texturing from scratch and hope to get it right this time...
Actually, it's very easy to map the model because you've already got the trexture based on a map you've made, and the model isn't complex.

In fact, if you are not going to make asymmetrical details, it would be more interesting to mirror some parts and overlap symmetrical faces (in this case, mostly a horizontal-axis mirror operation would reduce the model's texture size by half). This allows you to put another model's texture into the same page, reducing the total texture pages number.
Avestron
Trained
Trained

Post by Avestron »

Diffuse map... diffuse map...

I'm very sure the fault lies with me. :c) Sadly a couple of hours of investigation came up blank.

Never mind - the model was nothing special anyway.

- - - - -

OK - on to something I'm less useless at. Let me get back to the earlier diversion of factions in Warzone.

I shall start with the Project since it is likely to stir Kacen most. ^_~

As discussed earlier, with some disagreement, the PROJECT chassis shall likely fall within the category of 'economical and lower balanced performance'. I've also suggested that the chassis should not be the beginning and end of the differences between the factions. There needs to be some degree of distinction between them.

As such I feel that faction-specific walls would be a nice artistic touch. It can involve the same structure but different wall texturing. The Project would enjoy the pure grey walls that we are most familiar with. New Paradigm walls would have a mustard coloured skirting, The Collective a Jade green skirting and Nexus a black marble skirting. Scavenger walls, should they become advanced enough, would be wooden or brick textured.

I feel that one of the specializations of the PROJECT should be self-defense. Their units may not individually 'quite' match up to the other factions but their tech tree enjoys certain defensive advantages throughout the tech tree.

In T1 they are the only faction getting into twin and, later on in T2 quad machine guns, and their heavy equivalents.

In T2 they invest research into freeze technology (an offshoot from mid-tech flamer tech). They also gain an edge in MG and cannon research

In T3 they specialize in EMP technology and Freeze tech.

Throughout the tech tree Project walls enjoy increased hitpoints

- - -

As an aside I have tried very hard to find evidence of freeze-based weapons. I am quite disappointed considering that nitrogen features none too rarely in movies like Demolition man and Golden Eye. Modes of delivery vary - either through exploding canister, or through a liquid delivery system. I am pretty sure that negative energy technology could even combine laser and freeze tech to produce a negative energy weapon, a short-ish range weapon with a degree of punch in its own right.

- - - - - - -

The New Paradigm would be a different story. Not only do they have the lightest chassis with the best engine power and thermal shielding, they specialize in all matters thermal.

In T1 they are found lacking in MG research. They do not twin their weapons, whether they by MG or HMG. However they do have serviceable fly-by-wire. Early on in rocket research they gain fly-by-wire research rendering mini-rockets as versatile weapons.

In T2 they specialize in (relative) rapid-fire flame throwers and gain Flashlight technology earlier than the other factions do. Thermal augmentation of cyborgs and vehicles alike also come earlier although anti-kinetic augmentation comes later than normal. Prism Towers and Hardpoints serve to redirect lasers towards enemies, or back at them. Accuracy penalties apply (10% reflectance chance)

In T3 they continue their dominance in the field of laser technology but do not develop negative energy weapons.

New Paradigm structures enjoy improved resilience to thermal attack.

- - - - -

The Collective feature some of the toughest tanks in the world. They also feature some heavy automated hardware.

In T1 they go through the regular process of MG to HMG but lateish T1 they take a radical departure towards the heavier gattling gun (with research going into rotary reload mechanisms). This gun is too heavy for a regular cyborg but at T1 stage is a low caliber bullet and a less-than-sterling reload performance (think of it as meeting the same difficulties as the early Gattling) This spawns the 1st Gattling AA defense - power being somewhere between Whirlwind and Cyclone.

In T1 also they take a further radical departure from the rocket line, instead moving into rocket powered grenades and grnade launcher technologies, typically slightly shorter range than mortars but wider blast spread.

In T2 the grenade tech improves - including research in cluster bombs that randomly distributes secondary devices in the blast zone. In T2 also they research into rotary cannons, ultimately producing a further AA superior to the hurricane. They never get SAMs though (or bunker busters or tank killers or scourge, etc.).

They also gain shorter range stealth sensors (No Satalite).

In T3 The collective gains production/ repair enhancements above and beyond other factions. Ultimately gains Nukes rather than Las Sat

- - - - -

NEXUS
enjoy a more expensive and higher performance chassis. Their tech does not end there.

T1 Unspectacular differences

T2 Early gain of Nexus Turret technology with extensive development of the intruder programme ahead.

T3 I'm sleepy... open to thoughts

- - - - -

Scavengers

I have come to the conclusion that Scavengers should enjoy the widest variety of bodies with a total of 16. These should be modeled round actual pre-collapse vehicles and they would link to each of the bodies for the other factions. As a price for this vast selection 'each' chassis has one slight disadvantage when compared to the corresponding chassis (for instance, the Scavenger Project corresponding body would not have superior hit points but would still be as cheap as a project body of the same size.

T1 - Barracks for the training of human units. Rifle, Machine Gun, Chainsaw, Shotgun. In T1 also scavengers develop shotguns into workable short-range bunkers operating similarly to flamer bunkers in function without the flaming. Garrison Towers and bunkers may be manned by human units.

'Chop Shops' also provide a minute degree of improved efficiency to electricity for 4 power plants and recycling.

T2 - Rapid Fire Shotgun technology, Garrison Fortresses

T3 - sleepy time ;cP

Open to thoughts and suggestions.
psychopompos
Trained
Trained

Post by psychopompos »

@ avestron
nexus t3
nanite bombs, do no real damage, but sent enemy out of control or turn them to your side.
neural mapping, allowing any recycled unit to have its exp passed to the next 4 or 5 units made.

scav t3
emp mines coupled with capture technitians,
various passive weapons like tank traps that can be driven over, but half kill the tank driving over them.
camo tech, making them invisible when stationary
MOTHERBOARD - MSI P7N PLATINUM¦-¦PROCESSOR - C2D E7300 @ 4.00GHZ
MEMORY - 4 Gig (2x2gig) ddr2 1066mhz¦-¦OPERATING SYSTEM - WINDOWS 7 (ULT)
GRAPHICS - BFG GTX 260 OCX (requires ForceWare drivers for good openGL)
Avestron
Trained
Trained

Post by Avestron »

psychopompos wrote:@ avestron
nexus t3
nanite bombs, do no real damage, but sent enemy out of control or turn them to your side.
neural mapping, allowing any recycled unit to have its exp passed to the next 4 or 5 units made.
These are a couple of really interesting ideas. ^_^ Nanite versions of several weapons (mortar, bombs) would be a fitting addition to NEXUS.

Neural Mapping is also interesting but for balance reasons i'd suggest against the ability to spam multiple copies multiple times to produce a professional army from a single unit. :c) I 'do' think that destroyed units going into the production line similar to recycled units would be a very nice enhancement for NEXUS though (insert manical digitized laughter here ;) )
scav t3
emp mines coupled with capture technitians,
various passive weapons like tank traps that can be driven over, but half kill the tank driving over them.
camo tech, making them invisible when stationary

Ah yes - Mines in general could be a T1-to-T3 addition to scavengers.

I think that camo tech should partially be heriditary to the class of unit (in the order of human, cyborg, light vehicle, super cyborg, medium vehicle, heavy vehicle, superheavy vehicle).

Smoke screen generators in T1 would also be interesting and could themselves be a defensive enhancement.

- - - - - - -

I am also interested in hearing further ideas on how to further separate the tech trees of the factions. Remember that these changes are very plausible and would require separate tech trees for the factions - away and apart from the campaign tech tree (which would still be playable in multiplayer but would lack faction-specific boons). This would not affect campaign.
psychopompos
Trained
Trained

Post by psychopompos »

Avestron wrote:eural Mapping is also interesting but for balance reasons i'd suggest against the ability to spam multiple copies multiple times to produce a professional army from a single unit. :c)
balance it with a resource penalty at recycle or give a low liklihood of it working?
only getting back 25% of normal resources etc. would make it a real pain to abuse like that.
Avestron wrote:I 'do' think that destroyed units going into the production line similar to recycled units would be a very nice enhancement for NEXUS though (insert manical digitized laughter here ;) )
nexus respawning like silons you mean?(have you seen the new galactica?)
that would be awesome.
Avestron
Trained
Trained

Post by Avestron »

psychopompos wrote: balance it with a resource penalty at recycle or give a low liklihood of it working?
only getting back 25% of normal resources etc. would make it a real pain to abuse like that.
25% resource reovery and a reduction in rank perhaps - dropping one or two ranks. Otherwise you'd have a situation similar to Matrix Reloaded (the Brawl of the Smiths ;c) ).
Avestron wrote: nexus respawning like silons you mean?(have you seen the new galactica?)
that would be awesome.
I haven't seen it but it would be similar to Agent Smith in the first Matrix movie. :P No matter how many times you kill the Professional tank another experienced unit keeps coming back for more! Whether this is over powered or not (and would need a similar experience penalty applied) depends on the final balance of the factions.

- - - - - - -

I also think that I'd like to see a degree of counter involved in base design.

Anti Air is covered

Anti Ballistics would be cool - a specific weapon, whether it be missile or cannon based (which both exist today) - that have a fighting chance of neutralizing incoming indirect fire missiles (Angel comes to mind).

Anti Energy is far from impossible - whether it be in the form of Electro magnetic towers that warp light and slow nearby vehicles or in the form of water cannon curtains that refract and diffuse the intensity of light-based weaponry.

Such measures would lengthen battles but could work both ways, Angels being able to mitigate Archie hails.

The EM tower would be collective, the Water cannon would be project or scavengers.
psychopompos
Trained
Trained

Post by psychopompos »

Avestron wrote:I haven't seen it but it would be similar to Agent Smith in the first Matrix movie.
it is something like that anyway.
Avestron wrote:Anti Ballistics would be cool - a specific weapon, whether it be missile or cannon based (which both exist today) - that have a fighting chance of neutralizing incoming indirect fire missiles (Angel comes to mind).
i suggested in another thread that mgs should be able to take on the role of CIWS by targeting projectiles when no enemy in range.
but i dunno if wz could support such a function :-S
Avestron wrote:Anti Energy is far from impossible - whether it be in the form of Electro magnetic towers that warp light and slow nearby vehicles or in the form of water cannon curtains that refract and diffuse the intensity of light-based weaponry.
ablative armour modules of some description that ejected cristaline material when struck is viable, would refract energy weaps on contact.

i wouldnt go the way of water towers though, cyborgs & tanks would just not give a damn.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Hmm, I think that this topic definetely needs a different name :rolleyes:
And a different board, also :stressed:
If it wasn't for my bad english, I would participate on the discussion, but I've been too busy making those textures for the Mod me and MaNGusT are getting into motion.
A little advertising xD
xD
sotu99
New user

Post by sotu99 »

Can you share you best model of blender?