I need help with a mod

Get some help with creating maps or modding.
Need a map editor or other tools, look here!
Raem_Lylar
Trained
Trained

I need help with a mod

Post by Raem_Lylar »

All my questions for modding will be asked here.
Last edited by Raem_Lylar on 18 May 2009, 13:28, edited 1 time in total.
Main: Arithyce
Raem_Lylar
Trained
Trained

Re: I need help with a mod

Post by Raem_Lylar »

Currently i NEED to know how to make the mp transport carry tanks & vtols.
Just tell me the name of the file, i have the knowledge to handle the rest.

In the research text files exist numbers far to the right of each line.
What are these variables for?
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Raem_Lylar wrote:In the research text files exist numbers far to the right of each line.
Which one? There are a bunch of research text files. The main one is documented in TxtEditing.
Raem_Lylar
Trained
Trained

Post by Raem_Lylar »

prresearch.txt & resultcomponent.txt
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Raem_Lylar wrote:prresearch.txt & resultcomponent.txt
Oh, those numbers don't do anything.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

Raem_Lylar wrote:Currently i NEED to know how to make the mp transport carry tanks & vtols.
Just tell me the name of the file, i have the knowledge to handle the rest.

In the research text files exist numbers far to the right of each line.
get ahold of the aivolution file - it used the heavy transport if i am not mistaken as well as the cyborg transports. if that dont have it ... i will go on a search and destroy mission through my hd - it should be somewhere in there...maybe. :stare: :3 xD
Raem_Lylar
Trained
Trained

Post by Raem_Lylar »

-To Zarel-

I see. Now how about that transport? From what i can see the scripts for it are in the .exe itself, correct? That makes it impossible then...
Oh well...

Any tips for clearing the research tree to make room for stuff?
I mean removing all traces of the grenade borg some how makes
"R-Wpn-Mortar01Lt,Mortar1Mk1,WEAPON,0,0,10" Invalid in resultcomponents.txt

I opted for removing your radar detector instead... (not tested)
Will removing all Repair Upgrades Except major ones affect anything?
I need to make room for 7 topics...

Thanks,
lav_coyote25 wrote: get ahold of the aivolution file - it used the heavy transport if i am not mistaken as well as the cyborg transports. if that dont have it ... i will go on a search and destroy mission through my hd - it should be somewhere in there...maybe. :stare: :3 xD
I just took it from base.wz and replaced it. The pie does not control what units it can carry and how many...
Last edited by Raem_Lylar on 19 May 2009, 08:38, edited 1 time in total.
Raem_Lylar
Trained
Trained

Post by Raem_Lylar »

Removing Zarel's radar detector causes the game to tell me that X-Super-Cannon should have a sensor attached.
Which it does, a sensor that has nothing to do with radar detector...

Don't forget to read above post.
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

Raem_Lylar wrote:-To Zarel-

I see. Now how about that transport? From what i can see the scripts for it are in the .exe itself, correct? That makes it impossible then...
Oh well...

Any tips for clearing the research tree to make room for stuff?
I mean removing all traces of the grenade borg some how makes

I opted for removing your radar detector instead... (not tested)
Will removing all Repair Upgrades Except major ones affect anything?

Thanks,
lav_coyote25 wrote: get ahold of the aivolution file - it used the heavy transport if i am not mistaken as well as the cyborg transports. if that dont have it ... i will go on a search and destroy mission through my hd - it should be somewhere in there...maybe. :stare: :3 xD
Raem_Lylar wrote:I just took it from base.wz and replaced it. The pie does not control what units it can carry and how many...
Correct.. Any mapper can place the Tank Transport on a map by simply adding it's .PIE to the Objects List but it is through scripting
that it is controlled. In base .wz the scripting control is found in the Campaign Scripts. "Aivolution"s" first iteration used Tank Transport drops
and was a .wdg released for a modified Pumpkin binary dubbed .v.10.0C which also had string support added for the first "Gates Mod" by
Troman and Elric (Grim's brother). When eventually "Aivolution" was merged with the WRP source Tank Transport drop scripting had been
removed.

As for adding Research Topics - to my knowledge hard-coded limits were removed years ago so that original research topics no
longer need be swapped-out or replaced to accommodate the new like was done in Mods v.1.11 and v.1.12.

regards, whipper :)
"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction." Anthem

"Art is the selective recreation of reality according to the artist's metaphysical value judgments." A. Rand
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Raem_Lylar wrote:I see. Now how about that transport? From what i can see the scripts for it are in the .exe itself, correct? That makes it impossible then...
Oh well...
Well, I believe Aiboost managed to accomplish it using only scripting. It uses scripts in base.wz/multiplay/skirmish/ I believe.
Raem_Lylar wrote:Any tips for clearing the research tree to make room for stuff?
From other things you've said, you're apparently using 2.2RC1 as a base. That's good.

There's already plenty of room for stuff. research.txt has a lot of unused research topics, including most cyborgs, and most advanced factory upgrades. They're still there because you should never delete anything. Instead, replace them.

In research.txt: Ctrl+F for ",0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0" (make sure to have at least that many 0's in a row) - any line that contains that is currently unused, and can be replaced.
In prresearch.txt: I've already cleaned it enough - you should be able to safely add many further lines to the bottom.
Raem_Lylar wrote:I mean removing all traces of the grenade borg some how makes
You research Mortar to get the grenade borg, so by "removing all traces of the grenade borg", you probably removed the "Mortar" research topic, which removed the tank version of the mortar, too. :P
Raem_Lylar wrote:Will removing all Repair Upgrades Except major ones affect anything?
I've already done that. Most of the other repair upgrades are completely unused - they should have ",0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0" and can simply be replaced.
Raem_Lylar wrote:Removing Zarel's radar detector causes the game to tell me that X-Super-Cannon should have a sensor attached.
Which it does, a sensor that has nothing to do with radar detector...
Ha, you probably accidentally removed the Fortress Sensor instead of the Radar Detector.

Anyway, I've already pointed out - you don't need to remove Radar Detector, there are a lot of existing topics that can be safely be replaced.

(By the way, it's not my radar detector, it's Per's.)
whippersnapper wrote:As for adding Research Topics - to my knowledge hard-coded limits were removed years ago so that original research topics no
longer need be swapped-out or replaced to accommodate the new like was done in Mods v.1.11 and v.1.12.
Nope, the hard-coded limits are still there. We should really lift them. :/
Raem_Lylar
Trained
Trained

Post by Raem_Lylar »

I tried adding to research.txt before i removed anything, the game crashed with stderr.txt saying that too many research topics exist after adding only one thing.

And no, i did not remove the mortar or the fortress sensor (i checked while attempting to debug) :ninja:

EDIT: I can not find the script for the skirmish transport anywhere...
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Raem_Lylar wrote:I tried adding to research.txt before i removed anything, the game crashed with stderr.txt saying that too many research topics exist after adding only one thing.
No, I'm telling you to replace lines containing ",0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0"

As in, delete that line, and add your new line right where it was. That way, everything else still has the same line number.
Raem_Lylar
Trained
Trained

Post by Raem_Lylar »

I'm going to have to redownload base.wz and mp.wz then...
I will save my work in a text document.

So anything with ",0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0" is safe to replace?

I still need to find the mp transport script...
I ctrl + F 'ed for "transport" in every script i could find in both mp and base.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Raem_Lylar wrote:So anything with ",0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0" is safe to replace?
Yep.
Raem_Lylar wrote:I still need to find the mp transport script...
I ctrl + F 'ed for "transport" in every script i could find in both mp and base.
Those aren't in base.wz/mp.wz - you'll need to look through some really old mods. I think you might be able to find it in aivolution.wdg (the old one - the one bundled with Warzone doesn't have it.)
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

see post 6... already stated that aivolution ( as pointed out by zarel - the OLD one not the new one) has this script.