Elgaria

Get some help with creating maps or modding.
Need a map editor or other tools, look here!
Olrox
Art contributor

Elgaria

Post by Olrox »

I've been working on this at a reduced pace for some time now, but I'd appreciate some thoughts of you regular players out there. I know that most of the hardcore players don't like organic, asymmetrical maps, but this is rather intended for enjoyment instead of bloody, surgical and precise dispute. Of course I intend on balancing it well using oil distribution & access, as well as chokepoints, however I want each player location to be a bit different, similarly to 4c-Mountain.

I'm also not entirely sure if I'll keep it as a 5-player map. I ended up with a wide terrain (125x250) but tried to use natural protection in favor of player 0, so that the fact he's in the middle of the others is balanced by a tactically better base.

So any kind of thought would be welcome (other than changing the tileset of course :lol2: )!

Click the map to download the current development version!

Thanks,
-Fabian
Last edited by Olrox on 29 May 2013, 23:01, edited 1 time in total.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Re: Elgaria

Post by Rman Virgil »

Hey. :) (That's a shout out. ;) )

Alligator lizard... interesting.

I'm certainly fond of the design concepts your working with - creating entirely free of the NTW mould. Don't know much more that I can comment on from just a screen preview. You will, I assume, eventually offer a file to run and more specific feedback can flow from that. :3

Since you are exploring outside the conventional box, there's something else that suits organic asymmetry with non-symmetric balance offsets. Have you ever experimented with eliminating fog of war from the get go ? Thus all players start with the opportunity of precise intel. Sounds crazy, huh. Like a fox. ;) Just as NTW design creates a certain type gameplay experience, so does this. In ways that are not readily apprehended, or predicted, as just a thought experiment. :hmm: Interesting shift in gameplay to coordinated multi-vector maneuver. A taste of what gameplay could be with Commanders evolved to their original design specs and not throttled or crippled by '98 SW constraints. Check it out with some game buddies. :3

- Rman. :D
Last edited by Rman Virgil on 09 May 2013, 00:19, edited 1 time in total.

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

Mountain is one of my favorite stock maps, so I appreciate what you're trying to do there.

At a glance it looks you intend this to be a 2v3 map, but your description sounds like you expect it to be played as FFA, so, I'm a bit confused in that area.
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
Bobnmike
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Bobnmike »

Try to make the oil spots put in obvious places. thats the only problem i had with mountain.
themac
Trained
Trained

Post by themac »

Oh, really?! I personally love asymetric maps. Most maps are so terrible symetric. Once you know one corner, you know the whole map. That is quite boring. Please make more asymetric maps! :-)
Bobnmike
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Bobnmike »

I like asymmetrical maps too! its just frustrating to memorize where all the oil spots are. What i meant by obvious oil spots is putting them in the middle of high traffic paths or in spots that you could easily stumble upon.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Thanks for the input, guys - it is much appreciated :D

@Rman: Hey man, good to see you around. You got me right at exploring outside the box a good deal, I keep resisting the temptation of following restricted patterns because they tend to turn something we love into something ultimately boring. Therefore I'm willing to produce a map that can be enjoyed in more ways than just interactions between the players; I want to create something which will sprout different interactions between the players and the terrain itself. Something which will invite different minds to do different things under different circumstances rather than following a ritual - after all, a good game IMHO is that which breaks everyday rituals in its simulated world, by many different approaches. Currently this map is in early terrain studying stage, and I'm thinking about the access each base has to another, including possible team setups. The only thing that's for sure about oil is that the white peaks dotting the valley will have resources, some of them will be accessible by ramps, some will be vtol-only, and most of the islands will have hover-accessible resources.

@effigy: Glad to hear that you like the idea! But regarding teamplay, I don't intend on restricting possible team configurations too much. The bases are reasonably spaced from each other so FFA will certainly be a must. 2x3 (west x east) is surely another potential, but I'm making the central base a bit more protected because I want it to be able to withstand simultaneous attacks from 2 players better than the others, so that a highly skilled player can go 1x2x2 using that position as well. I'll have to test it thoroughly to find ways for balancing it so that FFA games are fair.

@Bobnmike & themac: I'm going with an intuitively navigable logic for this map. Most oil resources are going to be positioned in near the natural attacking vectors from one base to another, and some will be positioned in obvious deviations from those paths - of course no one will climb the snowy peaks in the valley to attack the enemy, but it's intuitively correct to think that such a position would contain at the very least an advantageous view range. Also, the islands will be visible for those passing by, so everyone will know there's a reward in it for someone who researches hovers fast. Learning to properly play on the map, however, is going to take a while since there are many different corners in it :wink:

I'll be back with some updates next week!
-Fabian
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Added a preview of oil positions, check the first post :wink:
Originway
Trained
Trained

Post by Originway »

fun map!
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

This might be a silly question, but where can I download it?
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

aubergine wrote:This might be a silly question, but where can I download it?
Oh, it's not a silly question - I'm not finished with the map yet :P

I'm gonna see if I can give its development a boost today.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Okay, got a playable version. It currently offers no support for bases let alone advanced bases, but it's dotted with a few features and already has implemented gateways.

I was thinking about making some "nun-rushable" resources (besides the VTOL access ones) by placing trees or other destructible features around them so that the player is forced to have an offensive unit accompany the truck to take it. What do you guys think of that?
Attachments
5c-Elgaria.wz
5c-Elgaria v0.7
(71.26 KiB) Downloaded 250 times