Warzone 2100: Contingency (Beta now released)

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
NoQ
Special
Special

Re: Warzone 2100: Contingency (Beta now released)

Post by NoQ »

Conversly before anyone thinks im just not that good =p
i actually like being an introverted nation focusing on internal development with the occasional expidition force to find an oil base or two and defending from hostile survivors of this post nasda world
If you think turtling is a good strategy in the standard game on any reasonable map, then you clearly "aren't that good"; in fact, you will probably die in your first multiplayer game against a minimally skilled opponent. I agree the situation with early turtling is different here without the hmg tower though, but you are having quite a lot of fancy fortresses and nice arty later on, even if you research only machineguns.
ADMIRALLORDHOOD
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ADMIRALLORDHOOD »

No, my asking was that I got an error saying it could not read the script on the base balanced nullbot v1.38 ai.
GiGaBaNE
Trained
Trained

Post by GiGaBaNE »

NoQ wrote:
Conversly before anyone thinks im just not that good =p
i actually like being an introverted nation focusing on internal development with the occasional expidition force to find an oil base or two and defending from hostile survivors of this post nasda world
If you think turtling is a good strategy in the standard game on any reasonable map, then you clearly "aren't that good"; in fact, you will probably die in your first multiplayer game against a minimally skilled opponent. I agree the situation with early turtling is different here without the hmg tower though, but you are having quite a lot of fancy fortresses and nice arty later on, even if you research only machineguns.
im finding it almost impossible to turtle in this mod.

it would be nice to turtle please. i actually like being an introverted nation focusing on internal development with the occasional expidition force to find an oil base or two and defending from hostile survivors of this post nasda world
No where did i say it was a 'good strategy' i even went as far as using the in game plot line to justify the motivation.
whether its a good strategy or not is irrelivant. LOTS of people like to turtle in many games and quite frankly its entertaining to do so sometimes...especially if playing with kids or something and you need a tactic that doesnt wipe them off the map every time you play together.

this is about early in game balance between vehicles and base defences, a balance which is non existent.
and you clearly dont remember me, i have about an 80% victory rate from when i used to play multiplayer online, but thats neither here nor there, this is about a mod for one of our all time favorite games that does NOT cater for all the sub groups that would like to play.

wanting to turtle is a choice, just because you dont like it, doesnt mean its a bad tactic. North Korea is a prime example of a turtle country, closed borders and focused inwards. and not exactly weak ;)
GiGaBaNE
Trained
Trained

Post by GiGaBaNE »

@NoQ
On a seperate note, i would just like to thank and congratulate you on the nullbot AI, i think its great.
I really enjoy playing cat and mouse with an AI that adapts to my tech choices, so that i have to adapt to his.
makes combined arms much more relavant in this game.
i also love the way its attacks expand and contract almost like the tide as i do that. its funny watching to armies bounce of eachother, withdraw a little and hit at it again.

Edit: i did post a similar response earlier, but it seems to have vanished into the ether oO
GiGaBaNE
Trained
Trained

Post by GiGaBaNE »

having a bit of an issue NoQ.

ive been playing with the built in nullbot (without errors for the most part).

decided to put in the contingency specific AI but it wont work.

ive tried in gamefolder/mods/autoload - gamefolder/mods/multiplay, config/mods/multiplay and config/mods/autoload.
hell i have it in all 4 right now.
info |05:51:57: [openLoadFile:164] file multiplay/skirmish/nullbot-1-38-contingency.js could not be opened: File not found
info |05:51:57: [openLoadFile:164] Assert in Warzone: frame.cpp:164 (!"unable to open file"), last script event: '<none>'
error |05:51:57: [loadPlayerScript:371] Failed to read script file "multiplay/skirmish/nullbot-1-38-contingency.js"
any thoughts?

UPDATE: ok its NOT an installation problem. having tested more thoroughly, all of the personalities work just fine on start up...its just the generic nullbot&co, which is the one i want to play against so its not so predictable, lol
ADMIRALLORDHOOD
Rookie
Rookie

GiGaBaNE wrote:having a bit of an issue NoQ.

ive been playing with the built in nullbot (without errors for the most part).

decided to put in the contingency specific AI but it wont work.

ive tried in gamefolder/mods/autoload - gamefolder/mods/multiplay, config/mods/multiplay and config/mods/autoload.
hell i have it in all 4 right now.
info |05:51:57: [openLoadFile:164] file multiplay/skirmish/nullbot-1-38-contingency.js could not be opened: File not found
info |05:51:57: [openLoadFile:164] Assert in Warzone: frame.cpp:164 (!"unable to open file"), last script event: '<none>'
error |05:51:57: [loadPlayerScript:371] Failed to read script file "multiplay/skirmish/nullbot-1-38-contingency.js"
any thoughts?

UPDATE: ok its NOT an installation problem. having tested more thoroughly, all of the personalities work just fine on start up...its just the generic nullbot&co, which is the one i want to play against so its not so predictable, lol
My thoughts are that I am having the exact same problem, I want to play against an AI that doesn't use a specific weapon type, in other words, I want to play against a balanced AI.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Most likely #3700 (downgrade physfs).
GiGaBaNE
Trained
Trained

Post by GiGaBaNE »

thanks.
is this downgrade physfs something i can do to myself?
i have no interest at this time in playing anything other than contingency and nullbot so im not worried about cross compatibility with any thing else =)
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

depends on os ...
GiGaBaNE
Trained
Trained

Post by GiGaBaNE »

I do appologise if this has been covered already but im having a bit of a game changer problem with the hijacker turrets.

When a turret claims a victim, even tho that unit now belongs to you, it continues to shoot at its existing target, ie your squad.

i tried to go full hihacker and would have seen reasonable return on the tactic, but the sheer volume of micromanaging all the hijacked units is phohibitive to multiplayer use (100% gamespeed).

can anything be done about this?
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Post by Cyp »

It's probably fixed in the master (3.2+) branch by 9830d8d7672018bcab66b3bc5d68a7c4b78c1cca. So trying the master builds might work (if that doesn't help, please make a ticket).
GiGaBaNE
Trained
Trained

Post by GiGaBaNE »

Cyp wrote:It's probably fixed in the master (3.2+) branch by 9830d8d7672018bcab66b3bc5d68a7c4b78c1cca. So trying the master builds might work (if that doesn't help, please make a ticket).
I would love to...but i cant seem to find a master.

i was looking at http://sourceforge.net/projects/warzone2100/files/
should i be looking somewhere else?
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Post by Cyp »

There's a master in http://buildbot.wz2100.net/files/. These are not considered releases, they are automatic builds for testing, done after someone changes anything. (If you compile it yourself, you can get the latest version from git://github.com/Warzone2100/warzone2100.git using git, and after the first download, new versions take under a second to download with git. If you're not on Linux, you probably don't do that, though.)
GiGaBaNE
Trained
Trained

Post by GiGaBaNE »

Cyp wrote:There's a master in http://buildbot.wz2100.net/files/. These are not considered releases, they are automatic builds for testing, done after someone changes anything. (If you compile it yourself, you can get the latest version from git://github.com/Warzone2100/warzone2100.git using git, and after the first download, new versions take under a second to download with git. If you're not on Linux, you probably don't do that, though.)
Tried contingency on that linked master, doesnt work. i get the following error trying to start a normal skirmish with any built in AI.

[loadBodyPropulsionIMDs:1998] Invalid propulsion name HalfTrack02

I have been exact with capitalisation and spacing e.t.c
ADMIRALLORDHOOD
Rookie
Rookie

I have windows 7, what do I need to do to downgrade?