New HQ and other pies...

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
Serman
Trained
Trained

Re: New HQ

Post by Serman »

Rman Virgil wrote: * One: Go back and review your player ID assignments for the buildings (the free-range oil as well) - I bet they are all assigned to one player..
Crap, you got me there.

They're all assigned to one player.

I had no idea, oil and scenery are "assignable"  :-X

So you're saying I should perhaps evenly distribute the buildings among players?
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Serman wrote: Crap, you got me there.

They're all assigned to one player.

I had no idea, oil and scenery are "assignable"  :-X

So you're saying I should perhaps evenly distribute the buildings among players?
* Yep..... AND, even more critical....

* Your Player ID Assignments can have a direct impact on:

- Fog of War (as in piercing it - consider with care for MP-play)

- As Attractor / Facilitators to the Pathing Unit A.I. (and the SKI A.I. Players as well)

- CAM-like effects are possible with Baba Placements & Assignments.

* Taken all together there are many, many, possibilities for creating imbeded tactical opportunities (& strategic "flow") that come with the savvy use of Player ID Assignments - and making it integral to your map-terrain design.

* Many have been the map-makers that have not taken advantage of these undocumented "Features".

* Have fun experimenting with them - esp. with the Urban Feature set..... it's rather mind-boggling what you can achieve, seriously.

- RV :)

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Chojun
Regular
Regular

Post by Chojun »

Yeah, I agree...  Generally speaking, I think Pumpkin Studios never fully tapped Warzone's full potential.  This, likely, because of poor marketing decisions by Eidos that led to Pumpkin chasing after red herrings (the PSX).
The best thing to do when your philosophies don't stand up to debate is to lock the thread and claim victory.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

GrimMoroe wrote: "Umm.... No."
Giel was so kind to jokingly translate this into "Why do you even ask? Anyway, it's neither."
So I will try to answer that question at my best:
I ask because I am interested. Datastorage methods are interesting and especially in this case I was wondering how you can remove all limits without performance problems.

Anyway, it's neither. - Could you then please ellaborate which technique you used instead?

Or with EvilGuru's translation "it basically means that s/he considered the options you gave foolish/unworkable and that what is actually used is something a lot better":
Which method is a lot better than that?
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

GrimMoroe wrote: Well first off never assume anything, it makes an ass of u and me. Translating what I meant is stupid because only I know the answer to that. I believe we ran into trouble with this in IRC already so lets no go there again.
Problem is just that I don't know what "Ummm... No..." shall mean... From my POV it was just rude, but no answer at all. So I asked others and that is what they came up with.
I was trying to establish some communication with that, but apparently I failed. I won't try again if that is what pleases you.
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

GrimMoroe wrote: ...
Next the only thing I am coding at the moment is a heightmap tester.....nothing else, I have told you guys this over and over, and yet still you want "me" to answer questions on how stuff was coded that I did not code. I asked the person that wrote the code and that was the answer I was given so I passed it on. The next question that I know is going to be asked is how then do you have a working exe with these changes and to answer that I compiled one.
Actually, I was wondering if this is a modification of the original source release or say a branch of the 2.x sourcetree. Also reading the above I understand that someone else modified the source of the executable you're working with. I would like to know how he/she accomplished getting rid of (some of) the hardcoded limits (preferrably from him/herself, but if that person wants to remain anonymous I can understand). I do have some ideas of how to do this myself of course, but some exchange of thought has rarely ever hurt a human being.
GrimMoroe wrote: I find it funny that when I asked for a few simple things I was told no but if I give an answer of no even though it was the answer to your question people think I am being an ass...Maybe it would be best if I just post my progress elsewhere....
Actually DevUrandom asked "'Linked lists' or 'arrays'", and you answered "no". This was a quite confusing answer. From your response above I gather that it meant that you simply didn't know an answer to that question.

On a sidenote: "linked lists" and "arrays" are storage techniques used when programming. Arrays usually result in hardcoded limits (unless lots of effort is taken to "dynamically" resize them), whereas "linked lists" are very easy to "dynamically" resize.

Either way, I'm not asking you which of those techniques (if any of those) are used to remove those limits. I'm just trying to explain why a simple "no" might have been a confusing answer to that question. Although I think DevUrandom's question wasn't very easy to understand for a non-programmer, or a programmer with little experience.

So just to clear this up, I didn't think of you, Grim, as an ass, and still don't think so. It's also my belief that DevUrandom doesn't regard you as such either. This most likely was just a bit of a communication error.
GrimMoroe wrote: Oh let me clear something up also by no hardcoded limits...which I guess is actually incorrect, but you can fill every square on a 250x250 map with a feature now so since the limit is more then could actually be placed on a map, there are no limits. Sorry if this confused anyone.
I assume this is just a guess of you? It seems like a reasonable approach; but doesn't necessarily have to be one taken.

edit: fixed a small typo
Last edited by Giel on 07 Oct 2007, 17:01, edited 1 time in total.
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Giel wrote: Although I think DevUrandom's question wasn't very easy to understand for a non-programmer, or a programmer with little experience.
Was written under the assumption he wrote the code himself, since I overlooked that you said you didn't.
Giel wrote: So just to clear this up, I didn't think of you, Grim, as an ass, and still don't think so. It's also my believe that DevUrandom doesn't regard you as such either. This most likely was just a bit of a communication error.
I know what comes now...
But anyway: No, I don't think you're an ass. In fact you are very good at what your profession is.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Chojun wrote: Yeah, I agree...  Generally speaking, I think Pumpkin Studios never fully tapped Warzone's full potential.  This, likely, because of poor marketing decisions by Eidos that led to Pumpkin chasing after red herrings (the PSX).

* Yep.

* It's also worth keeping in mind that Pumpkin's approach to WZ dev was they were building a "Franchise". The retail release & the patches were just the begining.

* Though they changed genres when they became Pivotal their approach is similar - the "Conflict" series has been built into a successful brand-franchise. (You should see how they're changing it-up & advancing GPMs with their latest effort... very kwel stuff).

--------------

* My goodness..... these last few posts have strayed far afield, done no justice to the art of Wz's enhancement  which is the heart of the topic-discussion at hand and have actually shown there are 2 basic POVs in regards to WZ that are strikingly diff:

* I hope I can find the right words ..... here goes...

* There are them that love the game & their beloved expertise is in the service of that love for the game.

* Then there are them for whom WZ is simply a likable vehicle for their beloved expertise (whatever that might be).

* Kevin Costner has done some kwel baseball movies in his career but the one that comes to mind in this situation is called:

* "For Love of the Game"

* It is a difference, a distinction, well worth being aware of. (Like in - "Don't hate the player - just deal with the rules of the game...")

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

GrimMoroe wrote:
This "vision" they had for wz is what is driving me on in the direction I am going, as I feel this was lost along the way.  :'(
* Yep.... I agree.

This is 100% the group of people that I fall into. I first and foremost love this game.......  ;)
* I know. It shows clear as a sunrise. :)

* It has always been my camp as well.

----------->

* I spoke to this situation with our mutual friend, a couple weeks back.

* Basically what I said was:

* Donot be derailed by aruments against another effort.

* Genuinely respect the other camp's efforts though their priorities differ fundamentally.

* There is plenty of room for both to exist without enmity - and the let the chips fall were they may down the road.

* Personally I believe the combination of genuine love for the game, deep regard for Pumpkin's vision, 1st rate talent & expertise - will prevail.

* And perhaps down the road a joint operation will flow naturally.

* If I may paraphrase Joseph Campbell: There may be another life after this, but this is the one we live day to day. You can follow your bliss, engage & nurture your loves, or be fit to be tied to misery - it is our choice to make under any circumstance, even the most adverse.

Last edited by Rman Virgil on 07 Oct 2007, 16:06, edited 1 time in total.

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Serman
Trained
Trained

Post by Serman »

GrimMoroe wrote: Image
Meh, I don't really like the sandy brick hardpoints.
You should stick to concrete.

Think advanced, futuristic, and economic.

Nobody's gonna waste their time baking bricks in the middle of a war. :)

Also, you probably didn't see my question.
Is the blown up piece of your building there as part of the scenery? or does it fall down with damage?