[3.1+] NullBot: an adaptive skirmish AI

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
Flalt
Rookie
Rookie

Re: [3.1+] NullBot: an adaptive skirmish AI

Post by Flalt »

Berg wrote:
Flalt wrote:I tried to google for an answer but didn't find it, so... What is the difference between "nullbot light" and just "nullbot"?
My goodness google dont know everything imagine that!!!
NoQ has tried to make the bot use less resources I did a short test and it seems to work as the frame rate dont drop as low and the cpu usage the % is less.
OK, but why is the light version a zip file with some strange files within it? Shouldn't it be wz like the original? How do I install the zip file?
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

It's a .wz. I have no idea where you see a zip.
Probably your browser renamed the file, because a .wz file is internally a .zip file (some browsers have this sort of habit).
Flalt
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Flalt »

Ah, good catch. It was the browser.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

v1.31.

Changes:
  • Add more different early strategies to the generic AI.
  • Fix a certain problem on saving/loading games.
  • Fix the Turtle AI that was broken in v1.30.
  • Some more CPU optimizations (in both -light and normal).
ermns
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ermns »

Hello NoQ :-)

I just noticed that you've done some changes.. I will download the new version and test it.

I wanted to share with you my experience from a game I finished last night.
The map was the TomatoSeals which has plenty of oil.
It is a flat map, ideal for producing endless units and rushing.

I played with 3 Nullbots vs the Nexus x 4 at insane.

In the beginning Nullbots worked just fine.
However when we reach around T3, all NullBots were trying to send their units for repairs. Units got stuck and all Nullbots had dozens of units stuck around the repairers. While Nexus kept sending units, Nullbots were just standing there and the end wasn't far away.
What striked me though was that although they had planes, the planes didn't attack. They were just sitting there after having been repaired.

In the beginning all Nullbots were aggressive and rushed the enemy. However during the midgame I noticed a reluctance to attack. I would say more towards the "return fire" attitude, instead of "fire at will".

Anyway just wanted to let you know.
Thank you again for sharing with the community.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

A savegame is worth a thousand words.
I'm almost sure that all "he didn't attack" issues are pathfinding problems, which i can't afford fixing on the AI side. Nexus doesn't suffer because he pretty much sends units one by one rather than in groups; i don't want nullbot to have this sort of behaviour.
ermns
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ermns »

Crap! I have this nasty habit of not saving my games...lol

I will start a new one with the same settings with the new AI, and if I encounter the same problems I will attach it on my next comment.
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

I don't seem to be able to get the scavenger nullbot working... I'm trying to get screen recordings of scavs fighting scavs for a cheesy Ultimate Scav Mod trailer based on Mad Max Road Warrior trailer, hence the desire to see scav vs. scav...

I'm on wz 3.1 Beta 10 trying nullbot-1-31-scavenger.wz -- the game's not picking it up as a mod when I put that file in mods/autoload. It picks up nullbot-1-31.wz ok, but not the scav version.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
themac
Trained
Trained

Post by themac »

NullBot sometimes begins to fire on some friendly units, on my units if we are in a team maybe. But not on all of them.
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

Well NoQ, now that Warzone 2100: Contingency is out for betatesting, would you like to adapt Nullbot to it?
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

themac wrote:NullBot sometimes begins to fire on some friendly units, on my units if we are in a team maybe. But not on all of them.
Ahaha lol quite possible. I made sure he doesn't shoot own units when they damage other own units with friendly fire (but usually when a unit in a combat group is attacked, the whole group returns fire), but i think i forgot to fix that for allied fire as well. Will do (:
Shadow Wolf TJC wrote:Well NoQ, now that Warzone 2100: Contingency is out for betatesting, would you like to adapt Nullbot to it?
Emm sure fine. I'd need to have some sort of summary of what new weapons and defenses are added (and what is their type) and where are they placed in the research tree, preferably with their string IDs of everything (:

Or i can just tell you what to do.
Yay i've got an idea. I'd update the wiki page to turn it into personality making tutorial.
aubergine wrote:I'm on wz 3.1 Beta 10 trying nullbot-1-31-scavenger.wz -- the game's not picking it up as a mod when I put that file in mods/autoload. It picks up nullbot-1-31.wz ok, but not the scav version.
Emm not sure why, will check >_<
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Ok, done with the NullBot Wiki personality definition howto update.
I don't mean to say that my part of this work is done now, just i could use some input to go further.
Also added the necessary files to the GIT, but they don't work yet.
I'd prefer to continue this discussion in your thread (:
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

v1.32.

Changes:
  • Add support for using different bodies for different weapon classes.
    • Now some personalities will use lighter bodies (eg. mantis instead of tiger) for heavier weapons (eg. cannons), but prefer heavier bodies (eg., cobra instead of scorpion) for lighter weapons (eg., rockets).
  • Add various popup tooltips that show up in the AI selection list.
  • Don't return fire when your ally accidentally damaged you with his splash damage.
  • Fix a problem with VTOLs that failed to reload when the base is constantly under attack.
Also, the AI personality for the Warzone 2100 Contingency mod by Shadow Wolf TJC was merged into git. I'm not publishing a release in the download page though, but will rather publish releases in the mod thread, cause it is pretty green so far and will change more often than the base AI release cycle. There were some invisible tweaks on the code side that make the AI run better within the Contingency mod, like support for multiple different repair centers and for multiple command center buildings. Since v1.32, even default NullBot personalities will run more or less correctly within the Contingency mod, even though they won't play well or make use of the new technologies provided by the mod.
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

Any joy with the scav personality?
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Emm, works for me. What are you trying to do?