maps by NoQ

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
NoQ
Special
Special

Re: maps by hao

Post by NoQ »

4c-Encounter

A 2x2 map, but it might be suitable for duels as well (#0 vs. #3 or #1 vs. #2).
14 oils per team, two of which are on an island. The beach is passable.
Attachments
4c-Encounter.wz
v1.0
(24.13 KiB) Downloaded 591 times
0.png
0.png (17.54 KiB) Viewed 11250 times
Last edited by NoQ on 16 Nov 2010, 15:05, edited 2 times in total.
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Hello Hao :)

I have a question :)

Were you thinking about a woman or the woman when you were making this map ?? :)

I am asking becuse when I look at it I see womans waist :) :) :) Sorry I am just a man :P ;)

It woud be a perfect waist if not those sharp things at the edges :)

And now seriously.. :)

On the right bottom edge you have used impassable cliff tiles, while on the top left edge there isnt any, was that on purpose ??

And did you use them to avoid players go by the edge ??.. what happened I remember on one of my maps..

The map is really good :) although.. I think you could create something magnificient if you woud go alittle beyond typical Warzone theme.. you almost got it with the previous map :)

It is only my point of view :) I try to make out of theme things as far as possible :)
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Were you thinking about a woman or the woman when you were making this map ?? :)
Ah ha ha lol, well, i think i didn't (: at least not consciously (:
On the right bottom edge you have used impassable cliff tiles, while on the top left edge there isnt any, was that on purpose ??
There seems to be some off-by-one problem in the map borders, so most of my symmetric maps have an extra redundant right column and bottom row of tiles as a workaround. I'm rather curious about what happens on the *left* edge: there are some strange yellow tiles i don't see in FlaME, but have in game (both old and new renderer).
Last edited by NoQ on 09 Nov 2010, 18:47, edited 1 time in total.
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Ah I see.. I knew it serves a purpose.. strange indeed.. and it seems it affected my map too..

It must be some sort of error.. did you report it yet ??
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
Black Project
Regular
Regular

Post by Black Project »

Merowingg wrote:Ah I see.. I knew it serves a purpose.. strange indeed.. and it seems it affected my map too..

It must be some sort of error.. did you report it yet ??
Is this just me or did i noted that is the first time that you did not spammed dozens of smiles on your post? :lol2:

If so, that's a miracle! XD
Returning to the thread!
For now, hao, you're my favorite mapper, i like your creativity on making these interesting maps, they are really kick ass from what can i see in the screenshots as well the minimaps, despite that i did not played all your maps yet.

Keep up the great work :D

Regards BP
Mats
Trained
Trained

Post by Mats »

You're making some great maps. A lot of them are looking and playing very nice. I like the way in which you are somewhat emulating the classic Warzone maps that came with the game, rather than making blocky rubbish like many mappers. Your Seaport challenge is also rock hard and a very nice idea (no oil to start).

Keep it up!

Mats (still struggling after 3 attempts on Seaport)
Full of ideas - Most are probably useless. Feel free to ignore them :)
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

hao, I found a small problem(?) in Outskirts, this oil resource needs hover to be captured, but I assume you meant for ground units to have access to it because the mouse cursor doesn't indicate a cliff. Am I wrong?
wz2100-20101110_112321-Outskirts-T1.png
Also, the water tiles look a little funny near the bridges, but I don't think anything can be done about that :(
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Yeah, looks like a problem here. Well, the game behaves correctly: there's a cliff tile (even though it's only 50%) and a water tile (even though it's only 25%) adjoint here. Well, i don't mind a hover-only derrick here, but vertical water is certainly a flow flaw. But i won't get a chance to fix it today (or tomorrow), and i'm not sure if it's worth it. Maybe let's keep this as is (:
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

I don't think you can do much about the water, I should have been quiet about that. I think it's fine to need a hover to get the oil, but the appearance shouldn't be deceiving. Maybe you could remove the cliff tile on the shore line, or bring the shoreline closer to the cliff so it doesn't look like a wheeled truck could go there?

edit: other than this it's another great map :)
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

I'll see what i can do. Maybe tomorrow. ok? (:

P.S. There are two kinds of problems with water. One is the not-very-successful attempt to show the underwater terrain that is used in the old terrain renderer; it usually looks rather strange, but is not a bug. The other problem is that you can actually make the water surface curved (you might have seen a deliberate use of this feature in my Temple).

And from the screenshot i get a feeling that we have the second case here, and this is a flaw that is fixable and thus is to be fixed.

upd: Done! 2c-Outskirts updated, with a few water bugs fixed (:
effigy, where were you when i made 4 betas??
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

BTW, i've uploaded beta2 of Encounter as well (:
I don't want to finalize it until these problems are somehow resolved.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

2c-Helmet

Another bilaterally symmetric duel map. Controlling the highground might be very important here. 15 oils per player (1 of them on an island, 1 on a mountain).

2c-Helmet2

Same as 2c-Helmet, but with highground sealed. This simplifies the game and leaves you with only two chokepoints on the south (and also a few lakes for hovers).

ImageImageImage
Attachments
v1.0
v1.0
helmet.png (23.32 KiB) Viewed 11033 times
2c-Helmet2.wz
v2.0
(28.77 KiB) Downloaded 575 times
2c-Helmet.wz
v1.0
(29.28 KiB) Downloaded 506 times
Last edited by NoQ on 08 Dec 2010, 06:35, edited 2 times in total.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Yay! ASCII art! :lol2:
(a very first outcome of this topic)
In case you didn't understand what it is: it's a heightmap of Visionary Mountains, painted with letters from "a" to "z" (:

P.S. I'm finalizing Encounter :3
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Hmm, 5 messages in a row by me ... I hate being annoying (:
But i can't stop myself anyway XD

Well, i've finally found myself making a more-or-less balanced 3-player map.
This is a very early and green release of it, and the code name is

3c-Monocot
THIS MAP IS ONLY COMPATIBLE WITH Warzone2100-3.0beta* or later!!!

(see also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monocot)
(I wonder if anybody likes the name or has a better one)

I'm also trying to re-invent map making with the new terrain renderer, so you'll see a lot of rather exotic texturing here, like three types of cliff textures mixed up, new transitions like yellow-to-cliff or concrete-to-green, brown and yellow roads (they're actually roads, units will move faster on them!), ...

I didn't place any advanced bases or features yet. Still, i'll appreciate any feedback on balance and playability. The map is rather large and is a little similar to this one.

Known bugs:
  • - The water doesn't look well enough because of this issue.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Attachments
MonocotBeta.png
MonocotBeta.png (28.22 KiB) Viewed 11116 times
3c-MonocotBeta1.wz
(28.4 KiB) Downloaded 554 times
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Hmm nice map ;) . I'll be testing it ;)
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6