Merowingg's Maps

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Thank You :)

Post by Merowingg »

Thank you Boris for your post and opinion :)

Yes indeed i am working on terrarian complexity of maps too, but some are to be how they look like. I want to make something at least partly different. New style ?? ;)

On the other hand i often think they should be more complex.

I should create something really balanced and various soon.

I like the sentence about not to rush in making maps the most, it is indeed crucial or even most important :)

The case about making screens is already solved, as you can see.

Thanx again

Bye :)
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
Xenon
Trained
Trained

Re: Merowingg's Maps

Post by Xenon »

Hi all. I think Merowingg is the best map creator for today. I've said it many times but I will say again - good maps Mero :). All his maps are very well suited for team play, my favorite maps are those in which a lot of green textures (grass). Thank you Mero for the creation of these maps :D
Sorry for my english
Wibble199
Trained
Trained

Post by Wibble199 »

Yep, i second that although i prefer the desert ones :D
Iconianlord
New user

Post by Iconianlord »

The maps are wonder indeed <3 mountain maps are my thing :)
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Thank you :)

Post by Merowingg »

Thank you Xenon, Wibble199 and Iconianlord for your posts and opinions,

I am really really happy that you like them :) you are all indeed very very kind,

Greetings :)

bye :)
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
Wibble199
Trained
Trained

Post by Wibble199 »

Well, great work deserves great praise :D
Ender_7
Greenhorn

Post by Ender_7 »

Mero I am astonished at the uniqueness of each and every map you produce. You are a great contributor to aspire others in innovative thinking.
Cant Touch This!
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

I can't say I'm particularly fond of your maps at the moment, but that's not to say they're bad. The heightmaps are rather empty and flat and the texturing could do with some work. However, for someone so new to map making you're doing a fantastic job, it's great to see you churning out map after map, each with their own unique factors, and having a good time doing so.

What I'd like to see from you in the future is a map that you've spent a bit longer on that your others where you've paid a lot of attention to detail. Try and consider how the terrain affects the gameplay and how the terrain looks. If there's a unique feature, try to expand on that, make it look good and make a map that you're really proud of. But I wouldn't go quite as far as to make a map like Rman's, I mean, that map is just... :shock: :lol2:.

Feel free to pm me with any questions regarding map making if you want.

- Mysteryem
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Mysteryem wrote:.....

But I wouldn't go quite as far as to make a map like Rman's, I mean, that map is just... :shock: :lol2:.

- Mysteryem
I second that. I myself wouldn't do it again. :lol2:

- RV 8)

Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Thank you again :)

Post by Merowingg »

Wibble199 you are very kind but please be objective too :)

Ender^7 thank you too :) nice words :) but I well know that i have to improve myself much.

Mysteryem i am glad and happy about your objective opinion :)

bye :)

Regards - Mero
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Finally the new map :)

Post by Merowingg »

Hello All :)

I have made another map,

I suppose this one is more advanced in diversity of ground level than the other ones but not so far yet..

It is a circular island with four bays, i wanted to design it in a way to allow multiple game tactics,

The bays can be the places where you can sneak and wait for a good moment to attack, but also oil is there :)

There are also four passages through the island leading to its centre where there is oil too, and also at the sides of deeper mainland,

One can built on the beach but also part of base can be set in upper cliffs for better defence or even centre which is obvious good strategic point,

The bays filled with water make time of heavy units going to enmys base longer,

Map has i think an interesting shape,

Here some screens,

Have fun :)

http://i46.tinypic.com/2vjqzvn.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/2vt5yrq.jpg
8c-Mero_CapriV2.png
8c-Mero_CapriV2.png (11.45 KiB) Viewed 10120 times
Attachments
8c-Mero_CapriV2.wz
Hilly island with bays :) enjoy :)
(45.55 KiB) Downloaded 598 times

Regards - Mero
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Your maps are really spectacular. I love the geometry. They have way too much oil, though. Players do not have to go out to secure any land to win, they have enough in their home base and just outside their door.
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Hi Per :)

Post by Merowingg »

Thank you for your post :)

Indeed I have noticed too that i use oil resources a lot on some maps.. I suppose it is becuse I am very bad player of low oil maps and by creating high oil i make something that suits me well.. but i know it is not only for me, and there should be a good balance.

But did you check all maps ?? few of them have fifteen oil in base and another fifteen you have to look for on the map, for example the rest of oil of Capri is located futher in mainland and in such places i think some of those will be places to fight for..

Also City gives fifteen of oil in base but the rest is in so called city, transferring the strugle into it, all games i played on City, all players fought in the centre, in the city,

Bridges on the other hand give two options, one is high oiled in base, thirty of it already, the other is fifteen in base, and for rest you have to go to the islands near the bridges in centre to get it..

Forest also give fifteen in base, and rest is spreaded all over the Forest, which really takes time and is absorbing to take it..

River also gives this time twenty in base, but the rest is at the river, in the centre, and it takes a while to go there, to sent units there to protect, to secure the land..

Mountains indeed have thirty of oil in base, and this is not good this time, but this was one of my first maps..

Islands give fifteen in base, and here, you have to look for it on every island very much, becuse another thirty for each player is on other islands, and so hard to protect.

Please explain me wider the term way too much oil, is it about in base or on the map generally ??

And i have noticed that players not familiar with the particular map behave in strange ways.. and do not go for oil they do not know about so willingly, do not explore, which by the way i would like them to..

I think fifteen oil in base is a good start.. and another thirty on the map, is good.. and we have to rememeber that those are maps of two hundred and fifty on two hundred and fifty tiles... But I only give thirty per each player there is no more except NTW Rocky and Sand

I am really glad you like my maps and geometry of them :) Especially the fact you noticed the geometry, but i am willing to create something not geometrical too, but i like it to be fair at both sides..

Thank you very much for your post :) I am open to critics :) And what do you suggest exactly about the oil :)

Bye :)

Regards - Mero
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Erm, well, actually, a good start is 4-8 oil in base, and another 4-12 per-player spread out around the map. I mean, Rush is even lower than that (4 per player in base, 3.25 per player around the map), and it's one of the best maps ever.

Also, for reference, 250x250 is usually too big to make a fun game. You spend too much time in travel and not enough time fighting.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Zarel wrote:Erm, well, actually, a good start is 4-8 oil in base, and another 4-12 per-player spread out around the map. I mean, Rush is even lower than that (4 per player in base, 3.25 per player around the map), and it's one of the best maps ever.

Also, for reference, 250x250 is usually too big to make a fun game. You spend too much time in travel and not enough time fighting.
That is all mostly true under the old paradigm... somewhat anlogous to a Pre- Coppernican PoV when most folks on the planet thought the world was flat & that the universe revolved around our world.

The New Paradigm (not a pun really :) ) was set in motion with the advent of designing maps with NPC Player 7 Scavs. With that the old paradigm is being deconstructed. That inturn makes some MPers uncomfortable & even resistent which is something Thomas Kuhn covered in great detail quite a few decades back in the context of science but it can be applied to any entrenched consensus.

- RV :cool: