A multi-turret body by Olrox

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
Olrox
Art contributor

A multi-turret body by Olrox

Post by Olrox »

Ok, I've finally did it!
Made a model from nothing, mapped it, made textures for it, converted it, rescaled it, put connectors in it, put it on the correct folder, changed the .wrf files and put the textures on the right folder, storaged it all on a .zip and renamed it to "boa.wz", and placed it on the mods folder and applied the mod.
And then...
Front view
Front view
Back view
Back view
:D
I did it!

That's the first model I've achieved to get ingame by myself.
Special thanks go to Mysteryem for providing me with excellent help - definetely what I needed to finally get the procedure into my head. Thanks also to everyone that supported me with good comments about my models - without your support, I wouldn't find the patience to go through everything I've got through since I've joined this forums.

Anyway, I'm still working on it, adjusting scale, size and messing with PIEslicer (fighting with it actually. "Now, just scale it properly... hmm... hmmmm... WHA... NO SCALE?!! :scream: ").

Perhaps I'll even aggregate what I've got to know and write a complete, contextualized guide about creating custom stuff, later.

It doesn't have VTOL versions and its hover looks bad (because I've actually only exchanged the file with the dragon body, I'll still get into copying sections of the files, changing stats and making special propulsions for it), but I've designed it to look good with any propulsion. Especially with VTOL.

It's supposed to be a "Project Super-Heavy Body".

Comments about needed improvements to anything are welcome as always, geometry, texture, geometry ;)

~Olrox
Safety0ff
Trained
Trained

Re: A multi-turret body by Olrox

Post by Safety0ff »

When I first saw it, I thought: "Hey, the front part kind of looks like the Millennium Falcon!" :D

Then I couldn't help myself but to think about millennium falcon VTOLs. xD

Anyways, that's not a criticism, just thought I'd share it.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Congrats ! Doing all that is at first like trying to write in ancient Sumerian cuneiform but once your familiar it's great to be self-sufficient as needed.

Now I have a little request.

Could you do a Drive Mode close-up screen cap ?

Place another unit facing your model, space-bar it into Drive Mode and screen cap your model.

I know it's not the usual way you play WZ (in strategic POV) but I'd like to see more detail.

Looks very interesting and the tiered, off-set, turret mounting is the way to go design wise, I think, if the lower turret rotates only a 180 degrees with DF weaps ..

Regards, RV :cool:
Last edited by Rman Virgil on 26 Feb 2010, 10:34, edited 1 time in total.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Safety0ff wrote:When I first saw it, I thought: "Hey, the front part kind of looks like the Millennium Falcon!" :D

Then I couldn't help myself but to think about millennium falcon VTOLs. xD

Anyways, that's not a criticism, just thought I'd share it.
Hahahahaha, no problem.

But, believe or not, I've only watched 1 movie from the Star War saga, barely half of it - I just know from other sources that "Millenium Falcon" is a spaceship from it, but don't know how it looks like googled it now, the front is indeed similar xD
But seriously, it didn't affect my design :cool:

Probably I was unconsciously making it somewhat similar to Homeworld 2's Hiigaran Interceptor shape:
Heck, I can't trust even my own brain anymore :stressed:

@Rman - Ok, I'll post such screencaps shortly.

~Olrox :)
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Olrox wrote:
Heck, I can't trust even my own brain anymore :stressed:

@Rman - Ok, I'll post such screencaps shortly.

~Olrox :)
Tanks !

And btw, 2 of the greatest artists of the 20th Century (1 literary & 1 a painter) had this to say:
“Mediocre writers borrow; great writers steal.” —T. S. Eliot
“Bad artists copy. Great artists steal.” — Pablo Picasso
- RV :ninja:
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Olrox wrote:Ok, I've finally did it!
Looks nice, but too bright, you should use more gray colors, to fit the Project style.
IMHO, if we will make a 2-turret body it must use one primary weapon like a medium/heavy cannon and one secondary weapon like MG or MRA. I mean that secondary must be used as a support weapon only. :ninja:
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Rman Virgil wrote: And btw, 2 of the greatest artists of the 20th Century (1 literary & 1 a painter) had this to say:
- RV :ninja:
I can imagine what they meant with that - most probably that to "copy" is to merely superficially imitate, but to "steal" is to incorporate something as ones' own vision, I think.
I wish I could steal Andrés Segovia :stare:
I usually listen to his music at 75% speed to appreciate every detail...
meh :P

Anyway, here are the screenshots I've promised:
boa3.PNG
boa4.PNG
boa5.PNG
MaNGusT wrote: Looks nice, but too bright, you should use more gray colors, to fit the Project style.
IMHO, if we will make a 2-turret body it must use one primary weapon like a medium/heavy cannon and one secondary weapon like MG or MRA. I mean that secondary must be used as a support weapon only. :ninja:
I agree on both, if we are talking about a unit to perform attacks by itself. One can make it with two high-HP weapons such as heavy cannons, to provide a "wall" and use other smaller units with missile weapons, AP, bunker busters, artillery, etc. to perform specific roles- specializing the whole strike unit.

The textures are the first, worst version, it's exactly the same as I've seen myself for the first time ingame. I wanted to share it as it is, however xD

~Olrox
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

I don't know why but the new body with track propulsion reminds me a rover(moon walker? :stressed: ) :ninja:
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

MaNGusT wrote:I don't know why but the new body with track propulsion reminds me a rover(moon walker? :stressed: ) :ninja:
Probably because I didn't have the time to adjust the length of the tracks yet, they must be as nearly as long as the body, IMO, for it to look right. Dragon was shorter than Boa, but I hate the looks of dragon (it's too wide, flat... weird before my eyes) :rolleyes:

I'll post more shots as I update the propulsions and textures.

~Olrox
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Rman Virgil wrote: And btw, 2 of the greatest artists of the 20th Century (1 literary & 1 a painter) had this to say:
Olrox wrote:I can imagine what they meant with that - most probably that to "copy" is to merely superficially imitate, but to "steal" is to incorporate something as ones' own vision, I think.

I wish I could steal Andrés Segovia :stare:

I usually listen to his music at 75% speed to appreciate every detail...
meh :P
That's exactly what they meant. :)

Ah, Segovia... Lucky I got to see & hear him live a couple years before he died, in San Francisco. A great master, no doubt. John Christopher Williams, Australian classical guitarist, is his heir apparent, imho. John went to Spain when he was twelve to study under Segovia. His discography is truly vast and of the highest quality throughout 6 decades of recording, composing & arranging.
Olrox wrote:Anyway, here are the screenshots I've promised:
boa3.PNG
boa4.PNG
boa5.PNG
Excellent caps. :) Thank you.

Geometry is kwel. Textures a wee bit bright as ManGust spoke to already but otherwise they look good to my eye.

Btw - was thinking a Commander Turret on higher mount, weap lower mount... have you tried ? (I'm sure Zarel will have something to say about that combo... heh. ;) )

Sounds like you already tried with Vtol. Does it really look good with those stubby wings ?

- RV :cool:
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Rman Virgil wrote: Btw - was thinking a Commander Turret on higher mount, weap lower mount... have you tried ? (I'm sure Zarel will have something to say about that combo... heh. ;) )

Sounds like you already tried with Vtol. Does it really look good with those stubby wings ?

- RV :cool:
I thought about trying this, as well as making commander/heavy repair :ninja:
But if you put a systems turret in the first slot, you don't get another one, afaik :P

I've tried to put VTOL on it, but the wings for that kind were made especially for Dragon, and thus were "flying" apart from the body (Boa is narrower than Dragon, and longer also). But If I adjust the props model it'll look nice.

I'm actually wondering if there is a way to make the propulsion different depending on the body itself, as opposite to the differences between classes.

BTW, I envy you on seeing Segovia performing - It's my preferred artist all the way around, kind of an idol. He was really proud of himself, but had real motives for it :rolleyes:
I've also already listened to several musics from John Christopher Williams, as well as Elliot Fisk, both pupils of Segovia, and both exceptional guitarists.

~Olrox
DarkCheetah
Trained
Trained

Post by DarkCheetah »

okay for the first vieuw , it is realy a impressive body! but ofcourse it is perfect for light turrets, and if you set like 2 hvy cannons on it, then it will be a fail when the on turret is like penetrating the other with the gun barrel

anyway nice body! i'd wud be awesome if it was released!, warzone needs more body's ;)
... where did all the good ol classic ai's gone to? Turtle AI , Super AI
Wibble199
Trained
Trained

Post by Wibble199 »

^ Yep, i agree. I think you should release it.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

DarkCheetah wrote:okay for the first vieuw , it is realy a impressive body! but ofcourse it is perfect for light turrets, and if you set like 2 hvy cannons on it, then it will be a fail when the on turret is like penetrating the other with the gun barrel
Oh, but that happens to dragon as well, doesn't it?

Can't be sure - I hate that red thing anyway :P

I was thinking about making the weapon slots descentralized (so that the rear slot's gun points in a parallel line in relation to the front slot, not intersecting it when the gun's just pointing forward.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Wibble199 wrote:^ Yep, i agree. I think you should release it.
Nah, even if the devs agree to adopt it and balance, it isn't quite that good yet. It doesn't even have correct propulsion models for it yet :rolleyes:

It is still too uncertain and early to talk about anything like that. I don't know how to balance it, and where to add it on the research tree.

But I'm glad that you like it!

~Olrox