Propulsion models

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
zoid
Trained
Trained

Re: Propulsion models

Post by zoid »

Sekmeton wrote:Mmmm I like all the ideas, except the half-tracks and the Tracks for the heavy bodies... It really looks like a WW2 British Tank xD
Second that. Seriously, it looks out of place.
Corporal Punishment
Trained
Trained

Post by Corporal Punishment »

It might have a certain charm though, being a nice little tribute to Warhammer 40k's Baneblade. Even if that, as the overall appearance of Warhammer 40k, is strongly influenced by WW1. But be that as it may, here are my two cents on these last sketches:

With wheeled and half-tracked propulsion, you seem to want to go with a kind of armored independent suspension for the front wheels. Maybe it would be easiest and most believable if it was a torsion bar suspension. This would eliminate most external parts and be pretty rugged. Ever thought about making four, six and eight wheels for light, medium and heavy bodies respectively? This makes the different classes stand out even more. The axles on heavy bodies could be set in two groupes of two with a larger gap between them, like with this truck.
With half-tracks, there should be a larger space between front wheels and tracks. In reality, this would give the vehicle better maneuverability. In WZ it would, IMHO, foremost look better. Even if it means stepping on anybodies toes, I really don't like the small front wheels of light and medium half-tracks. It just looks ridiculous. No offense meant, just my personal opinion. Maybe give light half-tracks a smaller version of the "WW1" track layout and make heavy ones with two pairs of wheels.
As for the tracked propulsions, well what can one say? Tracks are tracks, right? But really, the WW1 design of the heavy tracks looks inconsistent with the other two. For a clear distinction between the three classes, it might be viable working with track guards. The design with the partial guards for light tracks you presented first is pretty cool, just stick with it. Medium tracks could have guards covering the complete upper side of them, while heavy tracks might come not only with upper guards, but with aprons mostly concealing the track rollers.
Qui desiderat pacem bellum praeparat
Flavius Vegetius Renatus, De re militari
Sekmeton
Trained
Trained

Post by Sekmeton »

So, how about this? just a basic idea... Double tracks:

Please ignore the body xD just a reference
Maybe I should remove my location o_O
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

hmm, I think that making them more proportional between each other would look better.
I'll make some isometric schemes.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

I've done pretty simple tracks this time. Actually, I've liked the body I've made to put them on, more than the tracks itself xD
I think that it's not necessary to put divided catterpillars on large bodies - they are already like that on super heavy bodies :rolleyes:
Attachments
Wyrm + tracks
Wyrm + tracks
Sekmeton
Trained
Trained

Post by Sekmeton »

True... it's not necessary, and it would be more complicated.. but I think, if we're going to keep a single track, it should be.. uhm.. more attractive? xD

Still loving the Mammoth xD!!

Btw... nice schemes ;)
Maybe I should remove my location o_O
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

the Mammoth tank would fit into superheavy category if put into warzone, in my opinion. It's larger than 2 of the regular tanks from C&C3 put alongside each other.

And, of course, the true model will be a bit more detailed - even this one, adding textures, would look nice!
nighthawk
Trained
Trained

Post by nighthawk »

these are beautifful i think they look alot like ww2 vehicles wich is great because modern ww2 vehicles are awesome
"to prepare for disaster is to invite it"-unknown

"The Gravedigger"
DarkCheetah
Trained
Trained

Post by DarkCheetah »

this is what warzone need in future!!! detailed moddels =D

omg future cast :3
... where did all the good ol classic ai's gone to? Turtle AI , Super AI
theArmourer
Trained
Trained

Post by theArmourer »

I like all the shown models.

To clarify, are people suggesting that there not be a wheels and half-tracks option for larger tanks?
~theArmourer
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

theArmourer wrote: To clarify, are people suggesting that there not be a wheels and half-tracks option for larger tanks?
No, all the propulsion types will be mantained and remade for all size classes.
theArmourer
Trained
Trained

Post by theArmourer »

O.K.

I like the hpv cannon, it actually looks like a different weapon from the ordinary cannons.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.
~theArmourer
KNSD
New user

Post by KNSD »

Hi everyone!

this is my first post in the WZ forums.
i hope i get along with everyone here.
also forgive me for any fails.

well, now for the actual post.
i have read the 5 pages of this topic and saw all the models posted till now...
i think theyr awesome works Olrox! really nicely done, both textures and models!

im not really experienced with modding, in fact, this is my 1st time getting interested enough to try. and i still have no idea of what must be done to get the models ingame. i hope you all can help me with that in the future.

now for my first try, i had this idea for a diferent-looking tracks propulsion while seeing the images...i dont really know if its a good idea, but i think its a good try...
its a track propulsion with full external armor(more resistant, but slower on bad terrain due to little-to-no suspension capability)

clean:

tracks in red:

back:
namae?!?! ...eto~...Kuro no Shinigami desu!
Im not fan of the Darker Than Black series, i swear! why wont you believe me???
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Hi KNSD, welcome to the forums!

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate them.

But well - if you want a more armoured tracked propulsion, you should have armour atop the caterpillar as well, otherwise it would be too vulnerable to attacks coming from upside. In addition, you may want to think if it's good to have a propulsion that's even slower than normal tracks - those are already very slow in most cases (imagine any <weapon> Tiger Tracks, for example). It is good that you think out-of-the box, but the shape must serve the function (even if it's a game, it must make sense), and if the function is weak, the whole creation is of questionable usefulness.

Feel free to bring forth arguments that can prove to the community that we could have significant use for a more heavily-armoured propulsion, and that this may not screw up with balance - no one will refuse to listen to you just because you're new, you can be sure about that!

If you can prove a significant number of other members, I may work on your ideas, but if you can't, - it's NOTHING personal at all, you can trust me - I've got many things to do already, for AR, that are priority (mainly because it's something that the whole community wishes and supports). I personally think that you can develop your idea in a better way, and perhaps it's is really good indeed, but without more reflection and discussion, it looks just too uncertain.

But come on, sharing ideas is never wrong, because you may very well come up with something that no one thought about before. But, of course, you should read the Frequently Proposed Ideas list just to be sure that the idea you've had wasn't proposed many times already :wink: (this one wasn't, I'm just filling you in, just in case :P )

Again, welcome to the forums - great to see more creative people around! Sorry about the delay on my answer, I usually answer questions way faster than this :ninja:

~Olrox
KNSD
New user

Post by KNSD »

...if you want a more armoured tracked propulsion, you should have armour atop the caterpillar as well...
i know...actualy, i have done that in the concept model, just didnt upload the screenshots...

here are some the missing top-armor screenshots as well as some extra shots:
armor on top:

internal wheels/gears concept:

ground level view from side:

ground level view from front:

and the models info without triangularization(idk if its nessessary for WZ2100. it its for most games):
3 objects, 163 faces, 301 edges and 148 vertices.
...you may want to think if it's good to have a propulsion that's even slower than normal tracks...
as i said before, becouse of the external armor, this propulsion would, in real life (wich probably translates to "ingame too"), have its limitations on bad terrain...

altough, since its external armor has its benefits ( :P )...more engine/energy-transfer stuff could fit inside/within the propulsion's armor-hull...generating an actual boost to to speed in plain terrain.
(faster in roads/grassy-sandy plains...slower over debrise, rocky areas and fuzzy/undulated terrain in general)

also, there is a real simple "solution" to the on-bad-terrain capability-lacks of this propulsion...simply separating the tracks in multiple "rotateable-on-its-axis" (makes them act like suspensions by themselves) sections instead of a single long section...pretty much like the CnC tank posted before, in page 3 in this very topic (did reading the 5 pages just payed off? :lol2: ), here: download/file.php?id=4822&mode=view

with this solution, it still have problems with terrain compared to wheels, but it probably becomes just about as fast as the currently ingame tracks. (and beforehand...i know, the ingame tracks of the ultra-large bodies actualy turn dual-sectioned, but it dosent seem like the sections rotate on theyr axis, just like if they simply got separated...so the speeds betwen them are probably still "as fast as")

Feel free to bring forth arguments that can prove to the community that we could have significant use for a more heavily-armoured propulsion, and that this may not screw up with balance - no one will refuse to listen to you just because you're new, you can be sure about that!

i dont think this idea of a propulsion would mess the balance up...if the "multi sections" solution is aplied, and adding one or two researches on the techtree and this propulsion would merely become a "next level" of ground propulsions to the game...i think its just ok in that part at last...what you think?

If you can prove a significant number of other members, I may work on your ideas, but if you can't, - it's NOTHING personal at all, you can trust me - I've got many things to do already

:shock: i was not planning to interfere with anyone's workload...i was going to work on my ideas myself (in the matter of possible)...i intended to mean it in the firsp post (
im not really experienced with modding, in fact, this is my 1st time getting interested enough to try. and i still have no idea of what must be done to get the models ingame. i hope you all can help me with that in the future.
), but now that i reviewed it, it really dosent send that to the reader...

:stressed: ahhh! sorry! i messed up there. :augh: (as i said on 1st post, forgive my fails! :cry: ) (well, now you know why my avatar looks like that. O_o )

btw, sorry for long post too... :wink:
namae?!?! ...eto~...Kuro no Shinigami desu!
Im not fan of the Darker Than Black series, i swear! why wont you believe me???