New HQ model

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

New HQ model

Post by Mysteryem »

I have redone the HQ model, please tell me what you think.
260 points and 177 polygons.
And yes, I got some inspiration from Grim's HQ.
Attachments
blhq.pie
The pie file itself
(12.49 KiB) Downloaded 322 times
A smaller low angle shot of the model.
A smaller low angle shot of the model.
HQ large.png
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Re: New HQ model

Post by winsrp »

6/10, don't like it very much, would love to see a new HQ instead of a remake of the old one.
wari
Trained
Trained

Post by wari »

looks good, but it doesn't fit well with other buildings..
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

wari wrote:looks good, but it doesn't fit well with other buildings..
Perhaps due to the bottom parts? If you'd like to tell me what kind you'd prefer out of the below image instead then please do so.
Attachments
rhfjdjejdd[1].png
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

well, here is an example... of something different... think outside the box. ;)

Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

It's too... not-HQ-like. Take a look at the other new HQ. (Not Elio's, the more recent one)
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

Zarel wrote:It's too... not-HQ-like. Take a look at the other new HQ. (Not Elio's, the more recent one)
Could you be referring to this one by XANAX ? (Also inspired by the same source, btw.)

@ Mysteryem: As art I like it. I simply question the practical, engineering, aspect of building the HQ super structure (between the base plate & the saucer) out of mortared concrete blocks. Tetrahedron girder struts utilizing tensegrity geometry (a la Buckminster Fuller) would be more practical engineering-wise all the way around (especially in the field deployments of velocity warfare) and very interesting to boot but perhaps too intricate for WZ and besides, let's be honest, this is me just being merely nit-picky obtuse. ;)

@ Zarel: WZ's concept of an HQ is actually archaic (Medieval even) and does not at all represent the future of Military Command Centers. First of all they would NOT present themselves as fixed obvious surface targets. They would be mostly below ground with a full battery of external world sensors or, if above ground, mobile (like HERE). But to achieve or portray that more accurate military verisimilitude in GPMs would require multiple in-game cameras / windows, a new UI, and LOD - none of which will be happening anytime soon, if ever... so we are left with a hodgepodge of Futuristic, WW 2 and Medieval notions. Though in WS 2112 I have pretty much obsolesced the standard HQ to mere window-dressing as part of my modified FoW scheme. O_o

Regards, whip :ninja:

"Who is John Galt ?"

John Galt: "I swear by my Life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for the sake of mine."
Last edited by whippersnapper on 10 Oct 2009, 08:11, edited 2 times in total.
"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction." Anthem

"Art is the selective recreation of reality according to the artist's metaphysical value judgments." A. Rand
No_256
New user

Post by No_256 »

whippersnapper wrote:WZ's concept of an HQ is actually archaic (Medieval even) and does not at all represent the future of Military Command Centers. First of all they would NOT present themselves as fixed obvious surface targets. They would be mostly below ground with a full battery of external world sensors or, if above ground, mobile (like HERE). But to achieve or portray that more accurate military verisimilitude in GPMs would require multiple in-game cameras / windows, a new UI, and LOD - none of which will be happening anytime soon, if ever... so we are left with a hodgepodge of Futuristic, WW 2 and Medieval notions.
Hey Rman, How are ya :)

Back to the oh so familiar "blanket pulling" conversations about realism, appearance and gameplay? :P
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

whippersnapper wrote:WZ's concept of an HQ is actually archaic (Medieval even) and does not at all represent the future of Military Command Centers. First of all they would NOT present themselves as fixed obvious surface targets. They would be mostly below ground with a full battery of external world sensors or, if above ground, mobile (like HERE). But to achieve or portray that more accurate military verisimilitude in GPMs would require multiple in-game cameras / windows, a new UI, and LOD - none of which will be happening anytime soon, if ever... so we are left with a hodgepodge of Futuristic, WW 2 and Medieval notions.
No_256 wrote:Hey Rman, How are ya :)

Back to the oh so familiar "blanket pulling" conversations about realism, appearance and gameplay? :P
Hey No_256, great to hear ya in the mix again. :) See you've settled into our Canadian neighbor and Coyote and BLACKSABBATH's native stomping grounds.

"Blanket pulling..." hehe, yea somethings never change. O_O 'Cept I have mastered WZ modding, mapping and scripting to the point where I can do just about anything I can think of to change WZ GPMs (I'm not as proficient as past masters like Troman, HB, Speedy and Stratadrake but close enough me thinks to effect changes with efficacy and appeal...).

Any idea that comes to me that seems worthy I can fairly quickly implement in-game to assess its viability and fun-factor in actual SP & MP modes game play. So these days, besides indulging in these provocative conversations, I spend most of my WZ pastime play-testing modifications and additions to the game I've made and then dealing with my biggest boogaboo, most recalcitrant obstacle of all - unbalancing the game and then trying to figure-out implementations that reinstate balance with the expanded fun, re-play value that is the main goal of all my changes.

Any hoot - welcome back ! :D

Regards, whip, aka Rman :cool:
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

whippersnapper wrote:Could you be referring to this one by XANAX ? (Also inspired by the same source, btw.)
Yeah, that one.

It doesn't have the weird part at the bottom half that really doesn't make sense in any context.