new rendering WIP

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
DFStormbringer
Trained
Trained

new rendering WIP

Post by DFStormbringer »

ive been inspired to do some blender work again concerning warzone.. i know theres alot better around.. but thought id show what i got done so far.. this image is barely 10% done.

my images havent really been popular because of how i always approached the way i do WZ images.. KNOWING that AL of WZs vehicles and buildings are fully automated...

built by robots.. using robotic logic and materials found within the area.. the causes for alot of angluar workings.. and computational designs..

yes the terrain will have a more earthy and rustic look.. as do the scavengers.. being its controled by organic humans with scavenged materials.. but EVERYTHING your robotic army builds.. is created ON spot.. brand new through nanite construction.. and is devoid of dirt and rust.

going through the thinking of logic.. and the interchangibility.. i am moding most the units parts to work as it does in game.. like legos.. all sharing the same casing.. leaving room ont he front and top for cannons and moarters alike.

the textures obviously played some part as well.. thus the placement of the sensor dome ontop the turret.."turrets gotta see to shoot after all".. and the blue solar panels at the front of the turrent to help power the unit and its weapons.

still unfinished i plan to add further details like some minor lighting.. roll cage details.. and noticable camera sensor equipment both in he turret and the cockpit of the unit.

as for the pulse laser design.. sorry.. the triangle design in game.. just wasent.. tech enough for my liking.
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Re: new rendering WIP

Post by whippersnapper »

I like it. :) IMHO, would be a terrific style for a new faction. I wouldn't say there are "better" around but rather "different" and ............. Viva la Differance!!

For example..... is the following Borg model "better" than those new ones proposed for WZ recently ? Not to me. It's just different. Has way more polys than WZ will ever be able to handle and thus not suitable for WZ. That's it. Nothing more than that.

There will be some folks around here that will more than likely say "I don't like this or that about it because it's too this or not enough of that for the "true" WZ..." Blah.. blah... I wouldn't pay any attention to those naysayers. But that's just me.

It's a cool and bold vision, see it through. :)

Regards, whip :ninja:

"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction." Anthem

"Art is the selective recreation of reality according to the artist's metaphysical value judgments." A. Rand
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Hmm, nice models: Very good for concept art, I must say.
I'll not say too much things here, just wanted to make a little offer :D

Even though I'm a little busy with my day-a-day life, and with the Mod me and MaNGusT are doing, I've found out that I'm good at making bumps and scratches into the textures. And it takes very little time, about 15 minutes or even less, it's not that complicated using the standard procedures I've come up with. If you want, I can make those effects into your textures, if you really want: I've seen quite some people who couldn't manage to get those realistic dirt, bumps, scratches, oxidation, etc. into very good work, and that's a sad thing, because those really add to the final result. Gives a past to the model, and if we're working with scavenging in warzone, every material has a past ;)

That's it, I say that because your work is very good, I bet you've put some time into it, so I think (I've got no doubt, actually) it's pretty much worth some fine effects into that.
If you were already planning how to do that, I'm sorry to bother :D
Actually, if I were you, I probably wouldn't let my work into the hands of someone who has done 7 mapping and textures his entire life :rolleyes:

But I always bet high on my own work, otherwise I would never do anything (everyone has to start sometime, right?) :cool:
DFStormbringer
Trained
Trained

Post by DFStormbringer »

olrox.. im just a 3d nub.. and unlike all the pros out there i havent had any sort of training.. and texturing is mainly done with a few photoshop filters and what not.. cant really draw that well.

work primariy out of photoshop and blender which is a free 3d program thats know for its.. ungoddly horribe limitations.. mainly its lighting final rendering... but.. i cant afford the 4000$ monsters like maya.. bryce.. lightwave.. 3dsmax.

and no these arent meant to be used as "in game" models.. just.. a more.. detailed rendering of current units in game for the hell of it.

already planing to tone down the contrast of the textures for the grey part. and likey the red part as well as it just dominated the shape too much

and this being one of the tech units.. i was explaining why i DIDNT have dirt or anything on it.. as being it was just created into exsistance by nanites and machienes as opposed to having been out in the scorched earth for decades like the scavenger units.. that these unmanned buildings and units SHOULD be kept "clean" but everyone seems to in thier remakes.. making everything as rusty and gritty as possible.

but no.. i havent had official training in any part of 3d.. just a couple things on a deviant art site that nobody has really been wowed by.. so as much as i love going it.. no chance at a career for me.
i just.. cant afford it.
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

DFStormbringer wrote:
work primariy out of photoshop and blender which is a free 3d program thats know for its.. ungoddly horribe limitations.. mainly its lighting final rendering... but.. i cant afford the 4000$ monsters like maya.. bryce.. lightwave.. 3dsmax.
Try True Space - it's free (but not open source, which is probably why no one takes it into account here.. It's also been around a lot longer than Blender). At one time it would've cost you $1000.00 to get into it... now ZERO dollars. Unless you ARE a working professional with a 6 figure income, the differences between True Space and Maya are negligible.
DFStormbringer wrote:and no these arent meant to be used as "in game" models.. just.. a more.. detailed rendering of current units in game for the hell of it.
That's how I take W.I.P. by definition - a work in progress.
DFStormbringer wrote:already planing to tone down the contrast of the textures for the grey part. and likey the red part as well as it just dominated the shape too much.
A WIP evolves.

DFStormbringer wrote:and this being one of the tech units.. i was explaining why i DIDNT have dirt or anything on it.. as being it was just created into exsistance by nanites and machienes as opposed to having been out in the scorched earth for decades like the scavenger units.. that these unmanned buildings and units SHOULD be kept "clean" but everyone seems to in thier remakes.. making everything as rusty and gritty as possible.
Correct. How about the fact that units are manufactured in factories from raw materials - are they supposed to come off the assembly line dirty, scratched and dinked-up ? Doesn't make sense to me. As well if structs are created by constructors with a "spray beam of nano-bots" the same logic would apply as you've stated.

It is a contradiction... but I understand WHY it is done - damaged units manufactured from raw materials in factories - it is done simply because the WZ engine does NOT support Dynamic Damage & wear and tear from engagement over time... Thus the contradiction of logic is acceptable to create ambiance and the illusion of atmosphere.

As far as Scavs - I postulate that in their "Chop Shops" they would take PRIDE in their work and while assembling from scrap and spare parts they would STILL be inclined (like all humans of the last 40,000 years plus) to put the stamp of crafting and art on their work that would also reflect their cultural beliefs, social bonds and aesthetic sensibilities. That Scavs would settle for a junk yard pile of trash "look" is an absurd and silly notion to me.
DFStormbringer wrote:but no.. i havent had official training in any part of 3d.. just a couple things on a deviant art site that nobody has really been wowed by.. so as much as i love going it.. no chance at a career for me. i just.. cant afford it.
"Official" training is over-rated. Love of the art, love of the craft - THAT's what makes ALL the difference in the world. Again, I would recommend the FREE "True Space" program and its FREE professionally crafted set of TUTORIAL vids...... along with an inexhaustible WAREHOUSE of quality FREE assets and a highly supportive community to go with it all of that.

You should also check-out the Google SketchUP proggy and all its vast assets and supportive community.

Out of all this what truly counts is that the process of creation is something you inherently enjoy. Anything else is icing on the cake that takes care of itself over time with fortitude.

BTW - Good textures are much more than just a matter of applying Photo Shop filters. Sure filters are part of the process but alone make for one-dimensional effects, IMO. It is my PoV that OLROX's layering technique (which he explained in the MaNGusT's thread) is the real "secret" and a technique much worth exploring and mastering. It has a long history in the fine art of oil painting with "glaze" and "scumble" techniques being 2 of the principle ones. And you do NOT need "official" training to master any of these - just desire and as they say in the context of sports - you do it for "a love of the game." Then there's Nike's motto: "Just do it."

Regards, whip :ninja:
Last edited by whippersnapper on 09 Oct 2009, 17:18, edited 1 time in total.
"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction." Anthem

"Art is the selective recreation of reality according to the artist's metaphysical value judgments." A. Rand
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Well, I've never got any training as well. I'm 18 years old who's trying to finish a high-school-civil construction technic integrated course and I use some spare free hours to take a look and try to learn the programs I can, in my university's digital graphics lab: never done any course, no one ever taught me how to do anything on any of the programs I use, it was purely intuitive learning, trial-and-error sort of thing. I can imagine that it's harder to learn open-source programs due to lack of investment on all sorts of thing, I've already tried to learn blender and got out with an ugly pink cube only, then I decided to use all the time I've got to learn all the good programs I have access to while I'm studying at my university. I'm not even close to a pro, I also use only photoshop filters to make my textures currently, I use 3dsmax to map the models (and I always feel like I'm using a overly-complete tool to do a petty little job) only. xD

But that's it, I only mentioned bumps and scratches because I've talked with some people some time ago about making hi-tech stuff or rugged military stuff for warzone. Most people wanted strong, bulky things, more than clear, careful-shaped things.

But I now understand exactly what kind of concept you intend on working with, and I believe that it can bring out something really good from the game's scenario. As you said, everyone is working with dirty scavenged rough things, so this kind of art here if sort of exclusive :D

Regards,
Olrox