new map - islands2007

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

new map - islands2007

Post by lav_coyote25 »

people keep asking for maps with big water....  ;D

8 player map  - needs human multiplayers... or a great script making the ai use hovers and vtols  - and the transports etc.

have a look and tell me what ya think.
Attachments
islands2007.jpg
islands2007.zip
(41.36 KiB) Downloaded 629 times
Last edited by lav_coyote25 on 26 Jan 2007, 10:20, edited 1 time in total.
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Re: new map - islands2007

Post by DevUrandom »

How did you create that rendering? Cool!
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

DevUrandom wrote: How did you create that rendering? Cool!
well it was made using the world editor- under map = export as bitmap = 250 by 250 - and it is saved out as a .BMP  =  461 MB (483,844,096 bytes)  on disk.  i have a large amount of system ram  / 3.6ghz processor (dual)  and a pcie geforce gt  128 mb vid card.  and it took close to a full minute before it had loaded into paintshop pro.  i saved it out to a jpg  after bringing down the resolution to where it is now... = 180 KB (184,320 bytes) on disk.  with no other enhancing.
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

* Fine work.... luv the concept. :)

* Attatched rar of caps may have gateway issues.

* For those who may not have fully appreciated your initial post, Coyote:

* This map cannot be handled in any way shape or form by the present GPL A.I.......

* You can only really test with ALL human players..... AND..... wheels, half-tracks and tracks are pretty much a waste of $$.... you must focus on Hover, Vtols, Borgs & the Troop Transport, artillery.... if you go that route you will have a rare experience in WZ because there just aren't many water maps in WZ because it presents many more challenges than mostly land maps - for reasons inherent to the games design itself..

* Far as I know the only Ski AIs that could possibly handle this type of water map are Prometheuses "H2O" and Troman"s "AIvolution".... neither of which, at present, can be played with the GPL WZ to test out.

* That said....based on my own experiments in building the "Trinity" Map Series........ even if you could use suitable SKI AI.... other issues may crop-up in live 8-player games with a water map of this scope related to elevation-zooming of all players..... i'm not sure of this 100% but I think it will crap-out with struct out-of-bounds errors..... which is why I sorta reverse engineered original "Trinty" designs to account for all shortfalls in ai, pathing, zoneing, etc, live mp GP tendences... even cokoo atrillery stuff...

cheers, rv :)
Attachments
Prob Caps on Isles 07.rar
(164.83 KiB) Downloaded 308 times

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Rman Virgil wrote:

* That said....based on my own experiments in building the "Trinity" Map Series........ even if you could use suitable SKI AI.... other issues may crop-up in live 8-player games with a water map of this scope related to elevation-zooming of all players..... i'm not sure of this 100% but I think it will crap-out with struct out-of-bounds errors..... which is why I sorta reverse engineered original "Trinty" designs to account for all shortfalls in ai, pathing, zoneing, etc, live mp GP tendences... even cokoo atrillery stuff...

cheers, rv :)

* K... conducted the same trials I did for "Trinity" Series...... and I can confirm this problem will definitely come-up..... nothing you can really do as a map maker Lav - it has to be addressed in the source... basically, the "Zooming Close-up" threshold has to be raised or its range capped..aka, ONLY so close..

* Just a thought..... if you wanted to make a Skirmish-Friendly Verision (2 maps: as "Islands-MP" & "Islands-SKI") you could build "Island Hop-Scotch Bridges" (I know they are not destructable.... can't have everything... but think about a "Unit Traversable, Destructable Feature".... hmmm... what comes to mind..... a world of possibilities from that basic element.) Essentially the isles are fairly close together and temp military bridges are part of advance maneuver to cross waterways in RL with Armor.... PLUS.... all those "bridges" constitute "Choke-Points" - another layer of strat-tacs.. Anyhow, that was my solution to making "Trinity" ai friendly while not sacraficing live MP GPM opportunistic variety.

* Also..... where are you with Player Base-balancing so that all positions have a level-playing field at start of game ??

* Oh yes, here is ERROR detail:

error:      gwLinkGateways: Gateway at (211,106)->(211,107) is too close to a blocking tile. Zones 5, 5
error:      Assert in Warzone: ..\..\..\..\..\Desktop\Warzone\src\gateway.c:746 : gwLinkGateways ((psCurr->flags & GWR_WATERLINK) || gwCheckFloodTiles(psCurr))
error:      gwLinkGateways: Gateway at (116,188)->(117,188) is too close to a blocking tile. Zones 7, 8
error:      Assert in Warzone: ..\..\..\..\..\Desktop\Warzone\src\gateway.c:746 : gwLinkGateways ((psCurr->flags & GWR_WATERLINK) || gwCheckFloodTiles(psCurr))
error:      gwLinkGateways: Gateway at (124,215)->(124,216) is too close to a blocking tile. Zones 9, 10
error:      gwLinkGateways: Gateway at (81,223)->(82,223) is too close to a blocking tile. Zones 11, 12
error:      gwLinkGateways: Gateway at (154,67)->(154,68) is too close to a blocking tile. Zones 13, 13
error:      gwLinkGateways: Gateway at (245,202)->(245,203) is too close to a blocking tile. Zones 18, 18
error:      gwLinkGateways: Gateway at (134,129)->(134,130) is too close to a blocking tile. Zones 20, 21
error:      gwLinkGateways: Gateway at (99,86)->(99,87) is too close to a blocking tile. Zones 22, 22
error:      gwLinkGateways: Gateway at (7,100)->(8,100) is too close to a blocking tile. Zones 24, 25
error:      gwLinkGateways: Gateway at (44,234)->(44,235) is too close to a blocking tile. Zones 28, 29

- carpe diem :)

* EDIT: Well alrighty then -  thank you for the opportunity to be of service. :)

* Fare-thee-well with this & other map  projects.... and btw I didn't renew the toys domain this month so you may want to look into grabing it .... or not, whatever....

(* Peer-preasure can be such a WTF... it's like hanging with the KKK - toe the line or else..... how sweet it is to be a total free agent with a robust pysche.)

Adios. :D
Last edited by Rman Virgil on 28 Jan 2007, 18:39, edited 1 time in total.

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

thankyou - will see you again.  ;D

redid the islands map.  is now called causeway. 
Attachments
causeway.jpg
causeway.zip
(37.74 KiB) Downloaded 483 times
Last edited by lav_coyote25 on 01 Feb 2007, 11:22, edited 1 time in total.
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

aahhhwww. try to keep both maps available as distinct ones -- the causeway effect is good, but if the causeway is elevated the whole way, it makes hover units 1/3 as useful as they would have been in islands2007, since the hover units would have to use the causeway from start to finish to get from one side of the map to the other. if the causeways are intermittently hover accessible from the water, then it's perfect in all ways, at least imho.

edit: as i look at the map preview a bit more, it looks like only part of the causeway is elevated, and in a spot that isn't especially of tactical importance to hover units, in which case my last few statements have been rendered obselete.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

actually - there are only 3 spots ( the 3 anchor points on the left side of the map)  that are using blocking tiles ( in the causeway areas ) - i hope to elevate all of the causeway areas to the same height.  too bad we dont have a bailey bridge / floating bridge (ie: military river crossing bridge ) texture - would sure make it look better. ;D
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

lav_coyote25 wrote: actually - there are only 3 spots ( the 3 anchor points on the left side of the map)  that are using blocking tiles ( in the causeway areas ) - i hope to elevate all of the causeway areas to the same height.  too bad we dont have a bailey bridge / floating bridge (ie: military river crossing bridge ) texture - would sure make it look better. ;D
would also look especially cool if warzone supported functional raised bridges (tanks roll over, hovercraft glide under).
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

* Epic feel, nice work... water color blue now, no more acid yellow... 2 water tex in Urban set ?

* Sticky-Zone Caps in att .rar - not only a zone-gate issue BUT can happen to any SKI A.I. player if the following condition is created in the map making........trucks drawn like a high powered magnet by out of reach oil resources or sensor towers... something to keep in mind when placeing them.... once the units are captured by that attraction they are out of circulation till manually moved or destroyed. However, you can also USE this predisposition in a positive way to supplement your gateway - zone pathing flow, esp on big intricate, maps.

l8r rv :)
Attachments
Sticky Zones Causeway.rar
(85.74 KiB) Downloaded 310 times

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo