Base Structure Texture Mod

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
XANAX
Trained
Trained

Re: Base Structure Texture Mod

Post by XANAX »

Zarel wrote:Still looks worse than the original textures. :/
yeah maybe if he darkened them
Serman
Trained
Trained

Post by Serman »

I believe that until the Warzone 2100 graphics engine can support higher-poly models and a variety of shaders/normal-mapping, that we shouldn't really try to improve the textures yet. The default texture set looks good on models that are so low-poly. Your new textures transmit a sort of awkward vibe since they do not match the style of their surroundings whatsoever.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Serman wrote:I believe that until the Warzone 2100 graphics engine can support higher-poly models and a variety of shaders/normal-mapping, that we shouldn't really try to improve the textures yet. The default texture set looks good on models that are so low-poly. Your new textures transmit a sort of awkward vibe since they do not match the style of their surroundings whatsoever.
We already support higher-poly models. It's just that no one's made higher-poly versions of the current models.
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

Per wrote:It is a good beginning. The colours need to be crisper and show more contrast.
I think Per hit's the nail on the head. The texture you're using is too fine-grained, has little contrast and the color just doesn't "pop" as integral with a sharply articulated, individual, structural geometry...

Look at your HQ, it practically blends-in with the terrain tile texture and just about get's lost. You should be able to make out you're structures distinctly and at a glance.

A GFX is worth a thousand words, which is the only reason I will here provide an example of what I mean as being the exact opposite of what's happening with the texture you're using in your HQ..

This is merely one way out of countless artful means of achieving the "stop-gap" GFX you aptly expressed as a worthwhile goal in the interim - between now and when all Elio's new structure art is put forth within the official new terrain renderer binary release, down the road...

And, in answer to the obvious question.....this model will NOT be making an appearance in any WZ mod. Sorry, artist prerogative. :cool:

Regards, whip :ninja:

Last edited by whippersnapper on 06 Aug 2009, 07:27, edited 1 time in total.
XANAX
Trained
Trained

Post by XANAX »

whippersnapper wrote: And, in answer to the obvious question.....this model will NOT be making an appearance in any WZ mod. Sorry, artist prerogative.
awwww why not :gonk:
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

whippersnapper wrote: And, in answer to the obvious question.....this model will NOT be making an appearance in any WZ mod. Sorry, artist prerogative.
XANAX wrote:awwww why not :gonk:
Short answer: a variant is being used in another strategy game project under development and it would pose a conflict of interest and licensing.

XANAX
Trained
Trained

Post by XANAX »

whippersnapper wrote:
Short answer: a variant is being used in another strategy game project under development and it would pose a conflict of interest and licensing.

good point :3
fisk0
Trained
Trained

Post by fisk0 »

I really don't agree that there's no way the game can look better without making higher poly models (though that wouldn't hurt). The main problem with the textures proposed in this thread is that they lack any kind of lighting effects. Look at the original textures, they had a lot of 'painted' lights and shadows on them, giving a great sense of depth and complexity in the texture where there is no actual detail in the model. You wouldn't have to paint as much shadows as on the originals though, since the engine casts realtime shadows nowadays, but still, making something that is hidden beneath something else darker (like the main 'pillar' for the HQ, partially hidden from the sun by the much bigger top structure) makes the different parts of the building stand out more. Also look at the lights shining on the doors for the factories (as seen clearly on these screenshots), giving a sense of the doors not just being flat, but having some details that are lit from the light source above. While I think the map designer can choose which direction the light will come from, I think it's a good choice to highlight (make brighter) parts of the structure that are pointed straight up without being obscured by anything, and things pointing downward (which you probably wouldn't be able to see ingame) and parts obscured from above by other structure details should have a slight blurry shadow on or below them.
Desktop: AMD Athlon X3 440 3.0ghz, 4GB RAM, Radeon HD4200, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Laptop: AMD Athlon X2 QL-64 2.1Ghz, 3GB RAM, Radeon HD3200, Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit & Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit
XANAX
Trained
Trained

Post by XANAX »

fisk0 wrote:I really don't agree that there's no way the game can look better without making higher poly models (though that wouldn't hurt). The main problem with the textures proposed in this thread is that they lack any kind of lighting effects. Look at the original textures, they had a lot of 'painted' lights and shadows on them, giving a great sense of depth and complexity in the texture where there is no actual detail in the model. You wouldn't have to paint as much shadows as on the originals though, since the engine casts realtime shadows nowadays, but still, making something that is hidden beneath something else darker (like the main 'pillar' for the HQ, partially hidden from the sun by the much bigger top structure) makes the different parts of the building stand out more. Also look at the lights shining on the doors for the factories (as seen clearly on these screenshots), giving a sense of the doors not just being flat, but having some details that are lit from the light source above. While I think the map designer can choose which direction the light will come from, I think it's a good choice to highlight (make brighter) parts of the structure that are pointed straight up without being obscured by anything, and things pointing downward (which you probably wouldn't be able to see ingame) and parts obscured from above by other structure details should have a slight blurry shadow on or below them.
I agree but..
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3504
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Post by milo christiansen »

Feel free to modify/add details to this mod it has almost gone as far as my skills allow.
Did everyone miss the part about the base texture being copy/pasted from the original? The primary diferance is that all buildings use the same basic texture as the HQ now, and the main details stand out better.
I will try to do some more tweaking to the colors and maybe add some more details, as for making the texture darker, a dark gray/black texture is not very realistic.
And yes, I think the textures need lots of work and light efects are one thing I will try.

Dont think that I dont apreciate you comments, because I need feed back to tell what needs working on. But it is a little hard to have people critisise your work, even if you need it. ;)

I was thinking about making the reserch center red brick, what do you think?
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Post by milo christiansen »

V 1.2 is the last. All attempts at making it (v1.2) look better failed miserably.
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual