Announcements: Diorama 1.1.1 and a simple AI mod

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
Avestron
Trained
Trained

Re: Announcements: Diorama 1.1.1 and a simple AI mod

Post by Avestron »

florian wrote: I've started preliminary work on that now. Still gathering ideas/requirements and working out a good concept for an editor that does not devolve into placing each tile separately.
In my relative ignorance, might I suggest a layered editor for a future version?

A layer editor would compile new maps based upon layer information. Information such as:

- altitude (left mouse = lower, right mouse click = raise - same user interface of game can be used to house specific tools - cliffs can be auto-calculated based on altitude difference between adjacent tiles (flat, shallow incline, moderate incline, steep incline, cliff face - depending on how precise you want the map altitudes and gradients to be))

- roads/ tracks (based upon vector lines across the map - which can less or more developed, and less or more broad in size)

- special natural terrain - types of forests, shrubs, where applicable.

- special urban terrain - placement of structures on map, including those associated with bases.

- special other terrain - definition of special points and effects (for instance, oil resource with range of zero, lava points with range of 1, mysterious magnetic field with a range of 5 squares (ok so its not part of the game - but possibilities are everywhere).

- blanket conditions - weather and climate - and setting sea level and precipitation level could result in calculation of what is under water, both at sea level and above sea-level basins (based on altitude of terrain (if whole map is a basin with edges above sea level then it calculates on precipitation and evaporation if so desired) - faulting along the map (quake damage), etc.

- - - - - - -

Just ideas - a layer compiler would be able to flatten information and speed up map development in comparison to tile-by-tile development.
florian
Rookie
Rookie

Post by florian »

Hello, still massively out of the loop due to other commitments, but I will return eventually I promise!

The editor itself would be close to what you describe - you can describe areas and the generator will lay out the terrain for you.

So you can say "I'll have a cliff here" and "A patch of dirt here" and "A road using these tiles". I will also include some ability to fine-tune the map tile-by-tile. With regards to the height-map, I suppose I will include the basic features such raising specific tiles and a range of tiles (a soft height brush); along with some global features such as "blur", etc.

The editor will be able to read/write the actual maps, but I may include some other format which preserves all the high-level information - especially with the ability to fiddle with single tiles it would be impossible to re-construct it completely from scratch in most cases.

I don't intend to have support for anything but MP maps, at least for the first version; if other people want to take it elsewhere I won't stop anybody ;)
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

Even though I'm a good-hand with 32EW and have gotten used to its "quirks", I do so look forward to working with this new editor - it's like a wonderful dream come true. Or more like made REAL by your vision and hard work.. :)

Regards, whip :cool:
eyestrain92
Trained
Trained

Post by eyestrain92 »

So one little thing, this is not compatible with Windows?

Also, downloading four different programs just to get it working?

Am I the only one...?
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

eyestrain92 wrote:So one little thing, this is not compatible with Windows?

Also, downloading four different programs just to get it working?

Am I the only one...?
Welcome to open source software, my friend.
eyestrain92
Trained
Trained

Post by eyestrain92 »

So am I misled by thinking eventually we may get a user-friendly Windows Diorama or should I just continue waggling my fingers at mapmakers?
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

eyestrain92 wrote:So am I misled by thinking eventually we may get a user-friendly Windows Diorama or should I just continue waggling my fingers at mapmakers?
No, we'll eventually have a Windows Diorama. It'll just take a really long time. Unless you do it yourself.

As I said, welcome to open-source software, my friend. ;)
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

I have been playing with Diorama a little bit lately generating maps for 2 player skirmish. The maps it turns out have been both interesting and playable. Definitely worth your while if you want some new territory to fight over.

One minor problem: the default names are a little long for the map chooser widget.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

stiv wrote:I have been playing with Diorama a little bit lately generating maps for 2 player skirmish. The maps it turns out have been both interesting and playable. Definitely worth your while if you want some new territory to fight over.

One minor problem: the default names are a little long for the map chooser widget.
I wonder if we should start uploading maps made by this nice little program, so other people can enjoy them?
and it ends here.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Good idea!
Dylan Hsu
Banned
Banned

Post by Dylan Hsu »

Windows...?
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

For windows builds, see here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5757
and it ends here.
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

No updates since 2010 - can this topic be de-stickied?
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO