Test This Map Please

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
3drts
Trained
Trained

Test This Map Please

Post by 3drts »

Well, so I made a map.
I'm sort of regretting not just making 1/4 of it, and then doing an X/Y flip with copy and paste to make sure it is even.
I just sort of "eyeballed" it.
Haven't got a good way to view it in 3-d in the editor or edit heights, so there are some minor out of place height changes, and the height in the center isn't how I would like it.

Tileset: Mountain
Size: 200x200
Players: 4
Oil: 4 in each player base (16 total) , 3 readily accessible and close to the starting base per player (12 total)
2 readily accessible roughly equidistant between adjacent players (8 total)
2 per island on 4 mid sized islands (8 total)
9 on the center island (4 outer circumference , 4 inner circumference, 1 center)
4 on tiny 1x1 islands (well 3x3 tiles, but 8 of those 9 tiles are coastal tiles you can't build on)

Each player starts on a raised large level brick/tarmac surface - which on advanced bases is surrounded by walls and defenses - but just a little beyond this is an area enclosed by mountains with 3 entrances, each player has a land bridge outside the mountain "1/4 ring" leading right to the enemy base area

Base defenses consist of MG harpoints at the corner walls, and midway along the walls of the walls with no entrances.
The entrances are 2 tiles wide, with 2 light cannon hard points, 2 mg bunkers, and 2 mini-pod towers
4 MG vipers are also given to the player for the bases/advanced bases settings.

So basically right now it is a rush for Hover tech to claim the oil in the large center lake.
Hover& VTOL will dominate the map, but its my hope that the center island is big enough, people might just set up factories to make tracked units as they fight over the center, and of course early on before hover tech half tracks and wheels may be used.

I'm thinking I may need more Oil on the "mainland" around the lake to provide incentive to deviate from a rush to hover tech. I'm thinking another 2 oil on each of the land bridges between player bases
I fear hover tech will be the only viable propulsion on this map - but maybe cyborg drops will work too

Please give me feedback on the map - is there a problem with uneven spacing or resources, or terrain features, that makes the map unfair for certain players?
Does the map limit options too much (ie Rush to Hover tech and use it the rest of the game, or loose)?
Is it salvageable or is the map concept just too hover oriented?
Attachments
4c-TheLake.wz
(31.84 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Re: Test This Map Please

Post by Buginator »

Just a FYI, this is what it looks like, in the crappy map preview screen. :stare:
wz2100_shot_041.jpg
As for the map itself, I didn't actually play it, I was just using it to test some other features. :ninja:
and it ends here.
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

I found landscape anomalies I can post screens of if you like. (Like oil wells
placed in water without landmass.) I know your working with some key
disadvantages running the editor under WINE...

I see what your doing with your design and I can tell your drawing on
your MP experience - cool. :)

Looks to like you did something of a "bocage" (aka, hedge) outta land mass around
your base walls. Very interesting device.

I think you should also put gates on your islands so transports can deploy borgs.

The best A.I. to handle this map in skirmish would be "H2O A.I." by Prometheus but
unfortunately it's not been ported to the WRP binary. With other A.I.s the player
will have a decided advantage if they do appropriate research.

Regards, whipper :)
"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction." Anthem

"Art is the selective recreation of reality according to the artist's metaphysical value judgments." A. Rand
3drts
Trained
Trained

Post by 3drts »

Ooops, posted the previous version of the map.

This one has less "landscape anomalies" although some do remain.

As to gateways on the islands.... You can't deploy borgs there?

Is that in 2.1.3 and 2.2, or just 2.2.... need to go test this
Attachments
4c-TheLake.wz
(32.81 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

3drts wrote:Ooops, posted the previous version of the map.

This one has less "landscape anomalies" although some do remain.

As to gateways on the islands.... You can't deploy borgs there?

Is that in 2.1.3 and 2.2, or just 2.2.... need to go test this
Borgs are deploying off transports on islands. Cool. Could been the way
I did some of the testing before..

I think there is enough oil on the mainland especially vs. BP A.I. which
is optimized for an Air Force so it harasses islands claimed by the human player
no problem. If it had Hover Trucks & Sensors in it's templates (and scripted) it would be
perfect to deal with islands.. (maybe I or Bug should send NiKer an email to see what
he thinks).

You got a lot of the previous version "anomalies".... however... follow all your coastlines
to catch some more.

I see you removed the "hedge" round the base wall perimeter. It gave me an idea,
a variant, I'm gonna play with using myself if it works out..

I'll be curious to hear how it plays in MP. It seems like it would provide for good game.

Regards, whipper. :)

"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction." Anthem

"Art is the selective recreation of reality according to the artist's metaphysical value judgments." A. Rand
hjhjhj
Trained
Trained

Post by hjhjhj »

Ehm, a little bug in your map:

On the small islands with 2 oils cannot be build on :stare:
AKA. Balano
3drts
Trained
Trained

Post by 3drts »

Must be something to do with 2.1.3 vs 2.2 beta 2, because I test it in skirmish in 2.2 beta 2, and can build on them.
The fix in 2.1 was to divide it with a gateway, right guys?
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

3drts wrote: The fix in 2.1 was to divide it with a gateway, right guys?
Yup. :) Just make sure there is no object overlay. Also - I think gates have to be at a minimum 3 tiles wide...

regards, whipper :)