New feature: Gates

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Re: New feature: Gates

Post by winsrp »

well the 3 tile thing looks appropriate, but I'll have to check if the door can be on a non tile position, since I don't know if you have checked the files that come in this mod, but the door itself is all split in sections where each section must be placed on a single tile. So if this is the case only the 4 tile gate would work.

I'll let you know
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

reading the code for this more carefully it seems that you say which are passable tiles and which are not on the PIE editor or something since there is no code for knowing on which part units can pass and where units cannot.

The thing work in a way that when you create the wall it first shows up with no door. when an enemy non-allied unit is passing close by the game generates another object (the door) on the space where the door goes, that is non passable so no one can move in or out. if the enemy is gone then the door object is destroyed by the game, and only the walkable tile remains.

Then I guess that my concern about the (1/2)00(1/2) setup must be answer by who ever makes the assets in game. (not the actual modeling, so it might not be you olrox)
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

by the way Olrox try to make the door as a single thing since it will down out or in as a single piece. and from your drawings they seem like 2 separate doors.

Other than that... they actually look great to me xD
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

winsrp wrote:by the way Olrox try to make the door as a single thing since it will down out or in as a single piece. and from your drawings they seem like 2 separate doors.

Other than that... they actually look great to me xD
I think I've done it like that because it'd be easier to make a 3 tile gate if I needed to :P

I'll as well wait for someone who better comprehends the game mechanics to help us :cool:
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

Why don't we just cut the crap and make it a 1 tile that is just a door....???, that way the player can put as many as he/she want and thats it...
Delphinio
Art contributor

Post by Delphinio »

i just tryed the last mod: torheiten_06_221.wz and it didnt work for 2.2.4.
but it can be that the code itself works...
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

winsrp wrote:Why don't we just cut the crap and make it a 1 tile that is just a door....???, that way the player can put as many as he/she want and thats it...
Yes, I have been thinking about this. Yesterday I wrote some code to test it, too. See #1179 :)

For those who cannot read patches, I offer this screenshot:
wz2100_shot_029.png
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

They look just like a different wall, especially due to the same teamcolor texture atop it.
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

Olrox wrote:They look just like a different wall, especially due to the same teamcolor texture atop it.
Don't worry it's only a placeholder graphic ;)
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

My bad :)
The idea surely could work, but with a baseplate texture, in addition to a more distinguished model. This gate doesn't rotate like walls, It has 2 models, one rotated 90° in relation to each other, right?
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

It rotates and bends exactly like walls.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

I'mma add bendywalls soon, so we might have to reevaluate that.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

hmm... so maybe I'm wrong, but that would cause problems with adding a baseplate? or can it be coded so that it is always aligned to the model?

Well - I don't see the need of adding corner gates, they'd look way too strange if bent. And adding diagonal wall pieces also sounds like the wrong way to me, due to the unitary square tile system (there aren't half-tiles or triangle tiles).

Got to listen what other people think, I'm frequently -wrong- :cool:
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

well it would be great if we have the doors that flip like walls, and all that, and the 1 tile looks great.

Corner door, might be ok, but we will have to see an example of it.

Diagonal walls might not present that much of a problem, and would act like a good corner wall, but might be a problem when changing that diagonal wall with a turret wall. and Might be a problem too if you make a 3 end crossing wall.

But lets get back on track with the post here, per, your wall is a mod or a code change that needs a new version? if its a mod, please allow me to test it out.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

It is a code change. I have no idea how it would work with a baseplate.