Next Research System (NRS)

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Next Research System (NRS)

Post by Iluvalar »

NRS is a whole remake of the techtree which gives you access to all component you'd want from the start. There is no branch to the tree other then the most obvious (DMG and ROF upgrades only after discovering the weapon...). Do not worry ! All weapons go trough the same weapon analyzer and are balanced using the same well tested formula. So rail guns while available from 2 minutes in the game won't be a game ending research.

Why ?
Adding new content to a tech tree increase the value of the parts leading to it. And by shockwave effect increase the value of anything that those branches lead to. We can try to predict some of the outcome of our changes. but if, for example, Synaptic Link Data Analysis Mk3 become the 27th research in your research path instead of 26th, EVERYTHING that need the sensor to be researched will REQUIRE a rebalance. The only way I know to rebalance that is a 2 months community test trial followed by an hopeful balance patch that will only address half of the problems at best. In other words, we are constantly in test trial for the latest changes and those changes must come in a snail paces. Which segway nicely to the next part:

New in NRS!!
*Humans. Squishy little bag of meat. Play as the helpless little humans fighting against giant mech !
*Nuclear plant, housing and solar panel (power generation)
*park, forest and tree (more power generation that take more space)
*Propaganda tower, ruin everyone's economy
*Quark cannon line (from 2120)
*Med laser line (from 2120)
*Heavy rocket line (from 2120)
*Plenty of Extra weapons from 2120 in existing line
*Extra bodies
*propulsion upgrades
*Interest rate. Which stop you to have to rush to click stuff all the time and allows for actual thinking.
*Improved balance ! I'm committed to make the most competitive version of WZ ever.
And more new things coming...

Become a pro!
Circle of weight : Light >outnumber> Medium >outnumber> Heavy >Can't feel> Light
Circle of propulsion : Structure, Track, wheel, legs(personnal), Structure... 4 weapon modifier AS,AT,AW,AP each is weak against it opposite in the circle.

The progression speed encourage players to commit to their research lines. IE. DMG#2 is slightly preferable to ROF#1. Try to specialize in whatever research you commit a the start. This cause each game to be unique and fun.

All research line are designed to be balanced, you are encouraged to explore wacky combos. As long as they fit together. IE. Researching 2 different propulsion upgrade will put you behind, unless you really need to quit the original one because of an opponent weapon choice.

Propulsion upgrade ARE OP. It's intentional so players commit to their propulsion of choice. So enemy players are forced to adapt or bite the dust.

Make sure you have enough units before upgrading things !! You need about 5 minutes worth of power production in your army (~2300). Giving a 12% dmg boost to no units at all won't make you any stronger. A rush is definitively possible and spending power in 4 labs at start while you have no units is the first cause of defeat in NRS. It's a war game ! Don't let the solar panel convince you otherwise. :lecture:
Attachments
8c-Pill-NRSV014.wz
(1.99 MiB) Downloaded 458 times
Last edited by Iluvalar on 27 Aug 2020, 01:37, edited 3 times in total.
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Re: Next Research System (NRS)

Post by Iluvalar »

Reserved Post for later.
Counter Back
Trained
Trained

Post by Counter Back »

I will try it, sir :thank_you: . I new to this mod :) .
Someday I will show them the true nature of life! If they know, Regards from CB.
isaacky
New user

Post by isaacky »

Does this mod work in the game's campaign? I tested it on versions 3.4.0 and 3.4.1 and the game keeps crashing when I try to start a new game.
Counter Back
Trained
Trained

Post by Counter Back »

isaacky wrote: 17 Aug 2020, 15:45 Does this mod work in the game's campaign? I tested it on versions 3.4.0 and 3.4.1 and the game keeps crashing when I try to start a new game.
The Campaign data and the Skirmish or Multiplay data is different. thats is make game in campaign crash.
if you want, other mods is can run in campaign. like Enhanced Balance viewtopic.php?f=49&t=12380&start=210 scroll to bottom topic,
and Art revolution https://sourceforge.net/projects/artrev2100/files/

conclusions:
this mod not compatible with campaign as long as I remember.
Someday I will show them the true nature of life! If they know, Regards from CB.
Counter Back
Trained
Trained

Post by Counter Back »

I have problem, there is:
wz2100-20200819_193829-main.png
the game detect the mod is maps? its very much same map name O_o .
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

You have a strange conception of the word "problem"
Yes this mod is prepacked in a map, if you put the same file in your map folder you can even host it online.

NRS is a pretty heavy mod, it won't play well with most other mods, i doubt you can run ultimate scavengers over NRS.
Counter Back
Trained
Trained

Post by Counter Back »

Iluvalar wrote: 19 Aug 2020, 19:50 You have a strange conception of the word "problem"
Yes this mod is prepacked in a map, if you put the same file in your map folder you can even host it online.

NRS is a pretty heavy mod, it won't play well with most other mods, i doubt you can run ultimate scavengers over NRS.
but it's run very well.

yes, at first I thought it was just a mod, but afterwards I was confused why the name was 8c-name-NRSv0version.wz, it's like a regular map name, now I know it's map-mod not mod :stare: .
Counter Back
Trained
Trained

Post by Counter Back »

@Iluvalar, can i use your mod data to my map ?
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

I am making the jump to V4 !

Nullbot now have 6 NRS personnalities. Make sure you use your NRS4 mod with a WZ V4 .
Attachments
8c-citadel-NRS4V002.wz
(2.04 MiB) Downloaded 264 times
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

To mods : It seems like i cannot edit my top post... Halp ! XD

Here is a V4.0.1 running version. Nullbot can now play in insane level, but i'm not sure you will be able to beat it, it's kinda cheating a bit too much with power.
Attachments
8c-citadel-NRSV406.wz
(2.04 MiB) Downloaded 316 times
amwarior132
Greenhorn

Post by amwarior132 »

how did you made this, and which program did you use?
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

Lots have changed since the last version.
Attachments
NRS492.wz
(2.09 MiB) Downloaded 335 times
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

Economy update !

The power level now control the demand for oil and other resources. If you play high oil, the oil derrick will have the most focus in the game, if you play low oil, everyone should play sim city to produce power.

The tech level will affect the starting power allowing you to research more things. However be careful ! The economical aid for all player will also be reduced. Higher tech lever will be for more advanced player who want full control on their research.

There is now resources demand and production. Each building have a slightly different resource value. The goal is to produce what is in demand. The more negative the demand is the better it is to build. Some players might therefore have collaborative or destructive economical relations.

A virtual "cash" resource represent the sum of all power held by players. It will now affect the interest rate.

Vote for the power level ! Work and Housing resources are creating "propaganda" while "power producing" buildings (oil, nuclear, solar, etc..) reduce it and allow you to play at higher oil. Each player have some control over it.
iddi01
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Can't edit post

Post by iddi01 »

Iluvalar wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 19:26 To mods : It seems like i cannot edit my top post... Halp ! XD
Yes, i can't edit the top post for my AI either.
The latest version is not the best. Some mods and AIs needs older versions.